Reload this Page >

Best Restaurants in Maui

Search

Best Restaurants in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Marie

Best Restaurants in Maui

I am going on my honeymoon to Maui in January. We are staying at the Four Seasons (thanks to all the good reviews I found here). What are some of your suggestions for nice dinner restaurants while we are there? We thought we would go the Lahaina Luau one night, so that leaves four nights to find other restaurants. Thanks!!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 02:40 PM
freewoman

Try Kimo's in downtown Lahina. Also Longhi's is a great place.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Nance

I like Haile Malle Gen Store and Mama's Fish Restaurant. Also the Italian restaurant in Makawao, forgot the name.
Make reservations at all though.
Aloha!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Charlie

Hi Marie,I have different thoughts in regard to Longhi's in Lahaina.Check out some opinions of Maui dinning in Fodors Rants and Raves.You can't go wrong with the Old Lahaina Luau or you may want to consider the Feast of Lele(sp?),presented by the same folks that have the Old Lahaina Luau.Some say the Feast is more romantic and better food and would be special for a honeymoon.Enjoy!!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Ellen

Hi Marie!

Kimo's in Lahaina is a favorite of mine too. Good food & service. It's on the water & a good place to watch the sunset & boats.
Been to Maui three trips. Best luau in my opinion is Old Lahaina Luau.
January is a good time to go to Maui. You should see the whales at that time.
Have a good trip! Aloha!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Debbie

The Maui Four Seasons is outstanding - we got married and honeymooned there in October. You will have a fabulous time. And, get ready for some good eating...Roy's (awesome chocolate souffle - you must have it); Mama's Fish House; David Paul's in Lahaina; A Pacific Cafe. The Four Seasons restaurant is also excellent. You must have the breakfast buffet - it is out of this world. Also, I would recommend making reservations in advance for the Lahaina Luau. It was already sold out for the entire week we were there so we missed it. Have a great time!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Ann

We also honeymooned at the Four Seasons and was upgraded to one of their suites (spectacular!). It was the best hotel we've ever stayed at. Everything was so memorable. As for restaurants, I liked David Paul's. I've heard so much about Roy's and regret not going.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Kiley

1. Mama’s Fish House
2. Hailiimaile General Store
3. Roy’s
4. Sansei
5. Hula Grill

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Marie

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I am so excited about this trip! We are going in January to make sure we see the whales. I received a Maui Menu Restaurant Guide in the mail, but I wanted to hear from some people who had actually eaten there. Thank You!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Anna

1. David Paul's Lahaina Grill
2. Nick's Fish Market in the Kea Lani Hotel in Wailea.
3. Roy's

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:08 AM
Doug

My $.02.
Pacific'O - Lahaina,on the beach. Very romantic. Great!
Mama's Fish House outside Paia - Verrry expensive but the best meal we had. Awesome atmosphere.
Hula Grill in Whalers Village - Sit at the bar, order appetizers, drinks, people watch, on the ocean. Walk up Kaanapali beach. Nice! (good lunch place also).
Longhi's-Lahaina - food delicious.
Sansei in Kapalua - lots of sushi eaters so I assume that was good; we don't eat it. BUT, the appetizers were fantastic, so we sat at the sushi bar and ordered drinks and appetizers.
David Paul's Lahaina Grill - we didn't care for it. It was certainly "trendy" but the food just didn't live up to the hype, IMHO.
Luau- Old Lahaina was unbelievable. Reserve from the states at least a month ahead to assure the best seat.
Any other questions, please email me. Be glad to render an opinion.....

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:40 AM
Vicki

We were in Maui last Thanksgiving for ten days and tried many place and the very best restaurant was Gerard's in Lahaina. No question Gerard's was by far the best and it is a very romatic place. We ate at Roy's on Thanksgiving and thought it was very overrated.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:57 AM
sly_mongoose

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sam Choy's restaurant in the shopping mall in Kahalui. It's very good and beats Roy's and Mama's fish house hands down. There is also a good Italian restaurant on a side street near there. Can't recall the name right now, but the food was very authentic Italian. The Italian restaurant in Makawao is Cassanova's and is pretty good, also. Hope I'm not giving out outdated info, since it's been about 3 years since we've been to Maui. Hope you have a lovely honeymoon!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:05 AM
Marie

Thanks again! I'm writing down all of these suggestions. More than anything, I'm excited about the seafood.

Doug - thanks for the opinion on the luau, I think we'll definitely go!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:59 AM
MJM

Don't miss Pacific'o in Lahaina -- candlelit tables right on the beach and incredible food....

We honeymooned in Hawaii 3 years ago and loved every minute of it -- as for the luau -- my advice would be to try and catch the entertainment portion but skip the food -- there's too many fabulous restaurants in Maui to try !

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:30 PM
Richard Sullivan

Alas, Sam Choy's in Kahului has already closed. And believe me, I'm grieving because Kahului needs some decent restaurants!
I have eaten at most of the restaurants mentioned. I too was disappointed one time with David Paul's, but the ohter two times I ate there were wonderful.
I would add the Swan Court at the Hyatt Regency in Ka`anapali for its wonderful food and service, and romantic atmosphere. Try to reserve a table at water's edge if you want the swans to swim by. My only complaint was that it was a little too dark...we really were eating by candle light.
The Italian restaurant in Makawao [5 minutes up the road from Haliimaile] is Casanova's. Next door, Casanova's Deli has great breakfasts, and around the corner on Baldwin Ave., the Komoda Store has creampuffs to die for. They sell out early in the day. You can call ahead and they'll put some aside. We place ours in an ice chest, then pop 'em in the fridge or freezer back at the room. Ice cold, they are remarkable.My most recent incredible meal was at Pacific 'O. It was about $100 for two with no drinks. It was a splurge, but I highly recommend it.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:39 PM
Richard Sullivan

I tried posting direct links to many of the recommended restaurants in this threads, but they won't take.
Search in google or yahoo or your favorite search engine under the name of the restaurant, and include the word "Maui" or "Lahaina". They all have menus and photos.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:09 AM
Marie

I'm heading to Yahoo now! Thanks!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:46 AM
kwl

Longhi's and Pacific Cafe were FABULOUS!

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:04 PM
mark koyama

Our favourite restaurant was Mama's Fish House. The stuffed mahi mahi was out of this world. We weren't all that impressed with the food at the luau we went to at the Outrigger resort in Wailea. We found the Hawaian food to be on the bland side. If you like Thai food, we had a fantastic meal in Lahaina at a small hole in the wall just around the corner from the theatre where Ualena is showing which was also enjoyable.