Best rates for Hyatt Kauai

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best rates for Hyatt Kauai

Okay, Fodorites, I need your help! My dream is to stay at the Hyatt Resort on Kauai. The cheapest rate I can find on the internet is $340 per night for a ground floor garden view, and this rate does NOT include the 11.4% hawaii tax or the $15 per day "resort fee." I'm hoping to stay in early October (so not the high season). Have any of you ever found a cheaper rate for this hotel, and, if so, how did you find it? Do you think this is the best I can do?

(We have been to Hawaii several times, but have always stayed in more economical condos. Thinking about a major splurge next time!)
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM

pdxgirl: I have the same dream! This place looks amazing, and I have been looking all over for cheaper rates, but have come up with nothing lower than $364 for our dates in August. It does not seem to be the type of place where deals on easily had. Last summer, I got the Maui Hyatt for $200 night on Hotwire, but the Kauai Hyatt comes up on Hotwire about the same as their rack rates. They do have Sunshine on Sale rates, which is one free night and breakfast when you stay 6 or 7 nights.

Earlier this year, there was a glitch on their system, and the rooms were like $166 or something, and I wish I had booked the glitch but I didn't know we would be headed there this summer! I saw someone on flyertalk.com who said he got the glitch, though, so I know they honored it. Anyways, I keep checking their website to see if anything similar ever comes up again!

Let me know if you find anything!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:48 PM

We always book our stay at the Hyatt Resort on Kauai with American Air Vacations. We do the Sunshine on Sale package, and the room rate comes down when you book air, hotel and car through them. The price would also depend on which city you are flying from. Get a quote on line and see if it works out better for you. The resort and grounds are fantastic.
PS Book the cheapest room, then phone the manager before you leave, that it is your anniversary, birthday, or honeymoon and you will probably get upgraded, we always have.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM

We also were upgraded from a garden view to an ocean view room that had a great ocean view. It never hurts to ask!
-Bill
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM

I don't know much about cheap rates at this hotel, however, I can say that out of every place that I have ever been in my entire life, the Hyatt in Kauai ranks as my #1 favorite. We payed around 350 a night in April of '03, and it was worth every penny of it. I have stayed at plenty of nice places, but that hotel absolutely is our favorite. I always love to find a great deal, and my experiences with Hyatt have always been tough to find a super rate, but for this trip, you may just have to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash. The lagoon pool was awesome, and the golf course was great. Good luck, and have fun when you get there. It is absolutely worth it.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. You don't have to convince me the Hyatt is fabulous! We've gone there several times for drinks and wandered the grounds and DH has golfed at the Poipu Bay course a couple of times. I know we would love it. I just don't think we're $350 a night people. (We can't use the AA deal because we're flying on Hawaiian and using miles for one of the tickets.)
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:28 AM

If you've wandered the grounds there and maybe eaten at Tidepools, I think you've reaped most of the resort's benefits. I didn't think the rooms were anything to write home about. The pools of course are nice but not as nice as the Grand Wailea's... We had the free night/free breakfast deal as described above and I DID love the breakfast every morning. I doubt you'll get a rate under $350. per night and I'm not willing to pay them that much again. Sorry to be a spoil sport but I was actually hoping to encourage you a bit by offering another opinion. I guess I'm just one of the few who didn't think the Hyatt was "all that".
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:33 AM

If you know someone on Kauai have them rent the room for you. The Kamaaina(local resident) rates run around 165-195 depending on the time of year.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

crazy4hawaii - actually, I appreciate your comments. Since I really doubt we will spring for the $350 a night, it's good to know we're not necessarily missing the experience of a lifetime! We will probably end up back at Kuhio Shores or maybe Kiahuna Plantation.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:59 AM

You can stay for $249 or less a night at the Kauai Hyatt. You can go to Hyatt.com and purchase the elite stay certificates, which are valid at the Kauai Hyatt. When making your reservation, you need to let them know you'll be using the elite stay certs, and you hand them in when you checkin. Here's a link to the stay certs at Hyatt.com https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/C...rts.asp?navH=1
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM

jabc: So, I could purchase 3 of those Elite certificates and only pay $249/night at the Kauai Hyatt for 3 nights? What is the benefit to them for selling these at $100 less than the cheapest rack rate? Are you sure that is how it works?
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:07 PM

jabc: u are the best! if this really works, this is everyone's lifesaver. but what i dont understand is everyone should be paying this rate and not $350 +tax/night. do u think we have to pay tax on top of the certificate? or is the $249/night a flat rate? this is awesome!
i'm finallizing my trip in mid march, hoping that there will be some better deals then. so until then, i will be doing more research on hotels and better deals. but so far, the hyatt seems like a must, especially at this rate.
does anyone know where i can get a good rate for princeville resort? starwood is going for $450/night + taxes.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM

did somebody say hanalei bay in princevill is also a good hotel? is this the aston hanalei bay? it's 171/night on expedia + taxes.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:17 PM

kalunchi: Try www.aavacations.com for Princeville Resort prices. I found some decent deals there for that hotel. I am going to call the Hyatt tomorrow and see what the deal is on those gift certificates.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM

beachgirl... that is an amazing deal. i'm really loving fodors, i've learned so much and found such great deals from all these travel lovers like myself. I'm thinking maybe i should book it this week and stop the headache of searching.
so beachgirl, have u booked ur entire package yet? how's ur itinerary?
this is mine.
8/13, LGA -> HNL -> LIH
2 nights at princeville (courtesy of beachgirl), 3 nights at Hyatt (courtesy of JABC)
8/18, LIH -> ogg
4 nights at Sheraton (courtesy of Starwood)
I'm still trying to price a better air b/c right now i'm paying $850 for the Kauai and Maui.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

kalunchi - watch out for those AAVacations prices - they are per person per night, not just per room per night.

Has anyone tried the elite certificates for the Hyatt? From the website, it looks like tax is extra, but $249 is still the best rate I've seen for the Hyatt Kauai!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM

I was looking at the Costco Travel site and they are advertising a 7 night stay at the Hyatt Kauai for $1450, including a rental car. If true, it is a heck of a deal.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM

thanks pdxgirl for pointing out the rate at princeville resort. $200 per person per night is just crazily expensive. i'm gonna have to rethink that. do u think i can tell them there's only 1 person in teh room. haha.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Sorry, just looked and the Costco price is also per person. Even if it does include a rental car and breakfast, that's still very expensive.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Promotion code R35WEB will get you 35% off Rack Rates at Princeville Resort thru spg.com website. The discount will extend to other activities at the resort as well. It's still expensive, but a little less than the $450 noted above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information