Best Place to Tell Someone to Meet You at NYC Penn Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been through NYC's Penn Station on many occasions and in a few weeks I will be meeting a friend at the train station who will arriving from Montreal. I wanted to pick an unmistakable indoor landmark close to an arrival gate at which to meet him. Although I've been through that station at least a dozen times, the only place I can think to tell him to meet me is under the electronic time schedule board. There is a bookstore right beside the departure area, which might be a better place (less crowded), but I'm not certain of its name (Dalton Booksellers?).
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
GBC

I was going to suggest the electronic schedule board hanging in the center of the main lobby but I see you've already come with it. It really is the one unique location there. I would be sure to tell him to come all the way up to the main lobby. Depending upon which train he comes in on, there is a lower level that might confuse him. A cell phone connection might be helpful.

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM

There's only 1 Houlihans restaurant right near the electronic board...there are actually boards in 2 areas. I would pick the entrance of Houlihans
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

thank you! In front of Houlihan's it is!

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:52 AM

As an unfortunate commuter who has to go thru Penn Station EVERY WEEKDAY! I would say the best location is to look for the Police/Military booth between the Big Board and the Baggage check area. Most Amtrack gates come up right near there. It is very crowded this time of year and might feel like a safer place to wait.
John
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM

I always tell people to meet me in front of Houlihans; as Emily mentioned, it's the only one in the station, whereas practically everything else is in multiples! It's also a little less congested than where the police booth is; just stand more to the right of the door as you approach the restaurant, as the other side will get overrun if there's a line for the ladies rest room! Also, you can wait with your back to the wall of Houlihan's, which I feel helps me feel more in control in the midst of the crowds and anxiety of making the connection with my friends...

If your friend is not familiar with Penn Station, you might want to emphasize that you will be waiting at Amtrak: I have had friends somehow exit the platform onto the LIRR level, see the schedule boards there and think they're in the right place. They can look for the (smallish) signs pointing upwards to the Amtrak level, or ask a red-cap. Houlihan's is near the entrance to the Acela waiting area, if that helps them ask for directions...

One last thing: FYI, there is plenty of cell phone reception in Penn Station (it's just hard to hear sometimes with the noise!). It's always reassuring to know you can get in touch with each other if need be!

ggreen
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to thank all for their suggestions.

We met in front of Houlihan's which worked quite well since my friend's train was quite a bit late. I got a beer and did sudoku puzzles in Houlihan's at a table in the front part of the bar. It was nice that I could look out through the glass for him while waiting.

Thanks so much! DAN