Best place to stay in Santa Fe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do we stay for a great Santa Fe experience? It would be nice to be in the heart of it all (I guess that's near the Plaza?) but still have wonderful views. A spa would be great as well. Is there a place like this that has it all?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Inn of the Anasazi is my choice. Do a search on this board and you'll see several posts discussing this topic.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Let me add: Inn of the Anasazi doesn't have a spa.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Another vote for Inn of the Anasazi. Doesn't matter that it doesn't have a spa, because then you'd miss out on 10,000 Waves spa just outside of town -- fabulous!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM

We stayed at the Water Street Inn and thought it was very nice. It is a bed and breakfast. They also have an afternoon happy hour with New Mexican wine and beers and hot appetizers. It was a great way to meet people because we usually had breakfast in our room. We had dinner at the Inn of Anasazi and it was great.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I have been considering the Water Street Inn. How is the location? I recall reading a post that said it was kind of situated overlooking a parking lot. Is this true? If you have any other comments on Water Street Inn I'd love to hear them.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:19 PM

While I have not stayed at the Water Street Inn, it is over a parking lot of one of the best restaurants in town, Vanessi, great piano bar and the locals hang out there...never know who will show up and sing.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM

It has been a few years since we were there. There was not a "view" but the location was good. It wasn't right in the square but very close to it.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:21 AM

La Fonda. Historic Inn, just steps from the Plaza.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Jayne1973

I am interested in Vanessi. I go every summer but haven't tried that place. Could someone familiar with it give me a review? Is it over-the-top expensive? What are some good dishes? How dressy?

Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM

We loved the St. Francis Hotel. It's about 2 blocks from the Plaza. No view, and the rooms are a bit small compared to some, but it's a lovely hotel and the staff are super-helpful.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM

No personal experience with this one, but a distant friend living in Sante Fe suggested this place and I plan to book there next summer. Really looks delightful and the prices are right. It won an award from the Sante Fe magazine for "Best Local Charm".

www.dancingground.com
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Patrick, I just booked the Corn dancer suite at Dancing Ground for 1st week in May. I will let you know what we think. There are so many interesting looking hotels, it was hard to chose but we wanted a smaller place than Loretto or Eldorado. I heard to make sure you have a specific room reservation because some of the rooms are not like those advertized on the web.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Peggy,

I'd be interested to learn what you think after you stay there.

We stayed at the Dancing Ground for many years. Each year we booked the same suite for Indian Market the following year. We have stopped staying there since a change in management.

When we first started staying there, the Inn was small and run by a innkeeper that really cared and helped decorate the place. Their great looking website was designed at that time. The place was first rate and many people came back year after year. The suites clearly had been decorated by a professional.

Several years ago, the innkeeper was replaced with a larger property manager that runs a number of Santa Fe properties and the "flavor " of the place changed.

We notice that things got much more impersonal and that the place started to look rundown.

It is possible, that they have updated in the past few years.

Personally, I would reccomned theInnon the Alameda, located nearby. http://www.inn-alameda.com/

As for the spa, you must go to "The Waves"....it is designed as a Japanese Spa.

http://www.tenthousandwaves.com
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:31 AM

whoa, you have me a little nervous now Dick! I sure hope it turns out like the website represents, well if not, we will be in town early & try to switch, though it would cost 1st night's deposit. Well I'll just keep my fingers crossed! And I'll let you know the outcome.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Dick, I did mean to ask though, what did you think of the rooms in general at Dancing Ground? Which suite did you stay in? Were the bathrooms roomy & modern, what about the kitchen. I did look at the Inn at Alameda, it looks great also! But just refrigerators, no kitchens? Can is it about the same walking distance to town? Anyway, any input you can give me would be appreciated! I may just change my reservation! Though Alemeda would be about $100.00 more per night.....but it is our vacation & I want it nice! Thank you.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Peggy,

We stayed probably 5 times in Rainbow Dancer and once in (I think) Buaffalo Dancer. Both casitas are right on the street. The kitchen is a full kitchen with a washer/dryer in the entryway. The dining area is adjacent to the kitchen and is more of a great room. The Living room( rest of the great room)is quite large. Teh bedroom is good size. The bathroom is on the small side but modern. The sink/vanity is small. We have stayed for up to a week at a time and liked having the space..

The location is really convenient.

After the change in management, we noticed that the breakfasts became more like stuff you would buy in bulk at Costco...and the furnishings started to look a little worn. There was nothing wrong that was major.

When we first started staying the the innkeeper took great pride in the upkeep of the place...we felt it was a "find".

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the place will be very nice. It just may not be as sharp as it used to be.

Also, it's been a couple of years since we have stayed there...so things may have changed.

You can contact me directly if you like. nospam2 at earthlink.net
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply Dick. I love this site. It really helps that the guess work out. I'll send you on e-mail on our return.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM

PeggyE, I hope you'll post a report after your trip ! We are planning a trip to Santa Fe in the fall, and I'm looking for places to stay and places to go........ Thanks !
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM

The La Posada-- beautiful grounds and it's a short walk to the square. If you stay in a Spa Suite, the elevator on the second floor opens in to it so you never even have to get out of your bathrobe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -