Reload this Page >

best place in U.S. to celebrate the" BIG 50"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:03 PM
Marcia

Trying to decide where to usher in my 50th birthday in Sept. I want to wake up to beautiful scenery and see a fantastic sunset. Planning to be gone for 5 days from LA don't want to spend half the time in the air. Please come up with some suggestions. Resorts, B & B's etc. Just want something special!! HELP!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:31 PM
fran

Try Sea Ranch. It's about 100(?)miles north of San Francisco. You can rent a house there (either on a bluff overlooking the ocean, in the woods, in a meadow, on a hillside) or stay in the lodge. The scenery is beautiful and they have a great restaurant on premises.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Dave

The Manele Bay Hotel on the island of Lanai in Hawaii (Deluxe Ocean Front)!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Bob

Marcia,
My 1st choice for beautiful scenery and fantastic sunsets would be the South Shore of Kauai, Poipu/Koloa area. Depending on your budget, my 1st choice for resort would be the Hyatt Regency in Koloa. For your special birthday dinner I would suggest the 'Beach House'. You will experience a fantastic sunset while dining! It will make for a very special birthday. But, as you know you will spend at least 6 hours in the air from LA. But, it will be all worth it to make your special day extra special. If you want to stay local and drive I would suggest San Diego area, Hotel Del Coronado for instance. Or you could drive north to Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur or Carmel. Any of those places locally will give you a beautiful sunset. If you don’t want to drive or fly and stay very local I would suggest staying at the new hotel in Santa Monica, ‘Shutters on the Beach.’ Wishing you a happy and memorable 50th birthday.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Bob

Marcia,
I forgot to mention a B & B in Kauai; my suggestion would be 'Gloria's Spouting Horn Bed & Breakfast.'

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:44 AM
jhm

I suppose Post Ranch Inn is too close?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:57 AM
xxx

Anywhere you have not been. Me that would be Alaska or Molokai. Does not have to be extravagant just new. I would pick up a Zagat hotel guide and play. I would also spend 10 hours on a plane. Love Princeville Sheraton on North Shore Kauai, Hilton Waikoloa Big Island. If you have never seen the volcano at night that is special, Volcano house for this jaunt. good luck, did my 40th this year. I was suppose to go down the amazon for that day, oh well. Shopped for summer rentals at the Jersey shore instead, how did that happen?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Sabrina

How about watching the sunset over Central Park. NYC definitely would be a blast for a 50th birthday bash!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:56 AM
xx

I have to agree that NYC would be my choice location for a big celebration. The weather in NYC is prime in September. Wake up and take a stroll through Central Park, enjoy lunch at Tavern on the Green, wander over to do a little shopping or stop in for a make-up session, head back to your hotel and get ready for a night on the town. Choose a Broadway play and then head out for a post theater celebration dinner.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Joan

Gets to be repetitive, but I'd consider Sedona. A very special feeling to the place and some wonderful B&B's and resorts....beautiful sunsets, pretty decent weather in September.
I wouldn't stay at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica for a special occasion as you mentioned. I found it overpriced for what we got (and we had a suite upgrade for free). It's a nice place and all and the beach is great, but it just doesn't fit my idea of "special" as in 50th b-day special if you live in LA already.
I think Hawaii and NY would be impractical if you don't want to spend a lot of time in the air, but I guess that depends on what you consider 'a lot of time'.
Big Sur would be next on my list (Post Ranch, Ventana, etc) or even one of the beautiful (expensive) B&B's in Napa such as the Mission Ranch.
The views from the Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel are outstanding, and there's a brand new St. Regis nearby which aspires to be the next 5 diamond resort in CA.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:11 AM
ldsant

Congratulations on your upcoming milestone! That's wonderful. Here are my recommendations:

Sedona - absolutely wonderful. Stay at Enchantment - the spa as well as the place are beautiful.

Vancouver Island - very secluded but gorgeous. There are some awesome B/Bs on the island.

Oregon Coast

Hawaii - the Big Island is beautiful lots of special resorts on the island too.

Whatever you select, you'll have a great time! Enjoy and look forward to the next 50 years!