Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place in U.S. for a family reunion???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:21 PM
EBT

We have a very large extended family that is located from the east coast to the west coast of the United States, and many places in between. Several of us have decided to try to put together a family reunion. After initial discussions, we expect to have at least 100 attendees, if not more. We are now trying to decide where to hold it. Having "seen it all", the people on the east and west coasts would prefer something different. The potential attendees are in all age groups, from the very young to the elderly. There are also some substantial differences in income. We need a place that most everyone can afford, but that will also provide interesting diversions besides the reunion. For some people, this will be their only vacation for the year. Because of school schedules, the reunion will have to be held during the summer months. Obviously, affordable housing is a must along with a suitable location to handle the family gatherings. We would appreciate any ideas or advice that you Fordorites could provide.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Amy

While I don't have any specific suggestions, there is an article on the Washingtonian website that discusses different places near DC that are suitable for family gatherings. It might give you some ideas of things to look for in a destination.

http://www.washingtonian.com/travel/spring/happyfamily.html

Regards, Amy

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:28 PM
joan

Nags Head, North Carolina is a big family-reunion place. Lots of gorgeous large homes, beachfront and "second or third row". You could combine a few homes (there are lots that sleep 15-20). The Village at Nags Head has a community center. Our group of 18-25 people has returned there several times. The best realtor we found is Village Realty, I just got their 2002 book, their phone number is 800-548-9688.

Another idea is a Caribbean cruise, however that could get costly with airfare added...

Have a great reunion!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Theposterformerly

The Jan/Feb issue of Family Money (www.familymoney.com) has a big article on the best places for Family reunions as well as how to organize one. I saved the issue and am looking at it now. For economical options they recommend Williamsburg Woodlands, YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park and Winter Park Colo. Space Camp in Huntsville Alabama, Arizona Mountain Inn in Flaggstaff, AimHi Lodge in Maine (looks like the old fashioned summer camp but for everyone!) Asilomar conference Center in Monterey, CA. Mid-range is Fripp Island S.C. Montecito Sequoia Lodge, CA, Maine Windjammer cruises, Camden Maine (what about a regular caribbean cruise, they're a bargain this year?). Also look into all-inclusives in the Dominican Republic. Very cheap in summer and a great deal. About 2600 for a week incl air, food and drinks from NY for a family of 4.

Check the website and see if you can get a copy of that issue. I know we have it sent to us through our Financial Planner so I don't even subscribe. Good luck, sounds like fun!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:56 PM
theposter...

Forgot EBT, It's the JAN/FEB issue of Family Money 2001, not this year!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Ted

San Diego is great. L.A. has lots to do for east coast visitors. Check with their convention bureaus.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:35 PM
kjw

I would suggest getting a committee of family members together to plan this. Make a list of your requirements (family likes dislikes etc.) and then pick a place. You need to be near a major city to help those with cheaper airfare. By this I mean don't plan a reunion for Rapid City, SD, when it will cost everyone in the family a fortune to fly there. When you have come up with a list of reunion requirements your location choice will become obvious.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:49 AM
BTilke

The Sunriver resort, near Bend, OR, might fit your bill. Weather will be good, lots of activities for everyone and you can find housing in several price ranges. Wherever you pick, better start reserving space NOW, the more desirable and affordable places will fill up soon. Several agencies handle housing there, try www.ridgepine.com (their web site lists an 800 number to call for more info).

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 11:16 PM
lcuy

We had a couple reunions in Estes Park, colorado. Can't remember the name of it, but we stayed in a school dorm...very cheap, very nice and the cafeteria was open. lots of natural activities nearby, but not so many that people went off and did their own things. The whole point was to "connect". You might check dorms in other cities. often you can rent them during summer months.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Big Momma

1. Does affordability refer to travel costs or will everyone drive? If people have to fly, then make sure you choose a major hub airport, like Chicago, Boston, San F., because flying into smaller airports will ALWAYS cost more, often much more than even coast-to-coast travel. Ex: getting to Nags Head means flying into Raleigh, which has decently priced connections to a few places but will generally cost more than flying into, say, Boston. Flying into DC, however, is always more expensive than it should be.

As for driving, a place like Nags Head (and you're better off going north or south of that town, specifically, because it's very built up -- try Duck or Southern Shores) is so far from most major interstates that it'll add a half-day to whatever the drive-time is to Richmond or wherever.

2. Decide whether the destination or the reunion should be the major activity -- i.e., if you were crazy enough to choose a theme park, the amount of reunion-ing would go way down because people would be off doing their own things. Trying to do both at once may be a noble goal, but I'd try to figure out how to protect not only your big family dinner but plenty of time when people will be "forced" to hang out together.

3. Whether alone or by committee, come up with three alternatives, with per night/per person costs, and let the family vote on it. That way no one can grumble at you.

You might well want to consider Chicago, if you can find a place outside Chicago with housekeeping apts. or some such. Excursions in and around Chicago provide interesting things to do, but you can also probably find one of their many parks for a family softball or volleyball game or a lakeside picnic.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Katherine

I like the California idea because there is so much to see. San Diego should be an ideal place because of the weather and attractions. Plus having worked in res for AA that is a very competetive market for the airlines. Also a sidenote, if most people will be flying, then call the airlines and talk with their Group and Meeting Travel Department. Usually you might be able to get a contracted rate especially with that many people. My vote is San Diego!