Reload this Page >

BEST OF THE BEST IN PORTLAND, OREGON

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Tina

I have come across a few fun postings on the Europe forum and thought I should give it a try here.

I just returned from a business trip in Portland, Oregon and fell in love with the place. Despite the cold, rainy weather, the place is delightful. It's got a small town atmosphere, yet with all of the amenities of a big city.

Anyone else want to share their favorite memories of Portland?

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Tom

Listening to Robert Cray play on a summer night at the Portland Zoo. Perfect weather, nice crowd and plenty of great microbrews.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Maria

Few cities offer anything quite as beautiful as the Rose Gardens with a view of downtown as the backdrop. My husband is from there and we had our wedding in Portland. My favorite wedding photo was taken at the Rose Garden.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Dan

Gotta love the microbrew capital of the world!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Matt

Powell's Bookstore is the greatest. I could spend an entire weekend there. Only thing that draws me out is dinner at Jake's.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Darrell

So many beers, so little time. If they could only put in a microbrewery at Powell's, then it would be heaven on earth!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:23 PM
xxx

Hiking under the waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge. What an experience and great scenery.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Sid

The wineries out in Yamhill County were quite good. Memorial Day weekend is the best time to go, since most of the wineries are open that weekend. Some even have free food and jazz music. Can't beat the wine, food and music combo in a beautiful setting.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:53 PM
d

yes everything said above is correct, but the weather is a bummer. very depressing. but i only speak for myself ane experience

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Stephen

Friday night and I wish I was on my way to Jake's for a delicious salmon dinner. Instead I'm on my way home to a snowy East Coast night with a tv dinner.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Lyle

The city is full of great jazz music. It's a shame that they just closed Atwater's - one of my favorites, but the Brasserie normally offers good music. And the food's not bad either.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Timothy

Jazz de Opus is my favorite for good jazz. While a little on the crowded side on many evenings (and a cover charge) there's usually always good music. Parking can be tough though, so be patient. Produce Row is also a favorite haunt for me on business trips. Monday's jam session and a cold glass of beer is the perfect end to a day in meetings.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Troy

Great seafood, great beer, great wine...what more could you ask for in a city?