Best ocean-front lodging in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Nikki

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are making a trip to Maui in January, and I really want to get a room with a great ocean front location. I would love to be able to go out on my lanai and feel as though I am almost on the ocean, and even hear the waves when I fall asleep at night.

We've been to Oahu before, and our room there was nothing spectacular (with a partial oceanview that really was a view of the alley with the lanai over the dumpster). This time I really want a nice room at a place that is on a great beach (for days we just want to be lazy). I've looked at condos, resorts, etc. but it is hard to tell if the rooms are really 'oceanfront'. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Nikki

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Deloris

Aloha Nikki
We love the Maui Prince at Wailea. Wailea is South Maui and not as nuts as Kaanapali. The Prince has great restaurants and their beach "no ka'a ono-"
Hawaiian for a"there is none better!"
The sea turtles swim up to you if you snorkle the point(don't touch-it's forbidden) and it is never crowded. Go to Kaanapali for the day if you want, but for romance and ocean front, Wailea is it!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:00 PM
John

Hi!

The Outrigger in Wailea, the Grand Wailea, or the Maui Prince are all nice hotels. You might want to also try the Kea Lani. I'm not sure of the prices, but you can call 1-800-outrigger to check the prices for Outrigger.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Jack

Nikki, if you had stayed at the Halekulani on Oahu with a Diamond Head view or even the Hyatt Regency across the street you would have had EXCELLENT views! Next time, don't be so CHEAP!!

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 01:16 AM
xxx

The Hana Maui Resort is the best! Book one of the private cottages with your own jacuzzi on your own private deck. Walk right out the back to the ocean. It's a beautiful isolated resort perfect for romance and relaxation. Just be prepared to pay a pretty hefty rate for paradise.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Nikki

Thank you all so far for your responses. Well, with exception of Jack whose response was totally rude and uncalled for. But if posting those types of replies is what gets him through the day, then so be it. (Sorry that after my last trip I had just graduated from college and wasn't an 'elite' rich person, although we did stay at one of the Outrigger hotels).

Anyway, we have been looking at alot of condominium resorts. Has anybody been to the Maui Kai or Kaanapalli Ali? They were incredibly nice in their email replies. I am thinking the big resorts might not be very relaxing, with alot of families?? (which is fine if that is what you are looking for).

Thanks again for all your advice!

Nikki

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Lori

Nikki,
Check out the Aston Mahana if you are considering a condo. We've stayed there 5 times and it's great. Not super luxury like some of the big hotels, but ALL (and I mean ALL) the condos face the ocean. You have floor to ceiling windows in all bedrooms & living rooms and you look out to the islands of Molakai and Lanai. You cannot beat the view anyplace on Maui. They have studios, one bedrooms & 2 bedrooms units in two 12 story bldgs. We have always asked for a recently remodeled unit and were lucky 4 out of 5 times to get really nicely decorated places - the one time we did not it really was not bad either, just could have used a little updating. It's wonderful to sit on your own lanai and look at/hear the ocean - wonderful for a.m. breakfasttoo. Incidentally, as with all condos they are individually owned so furnishings can vary from one to another. We've stayed in one bedroom condos (some have 2 baths too) with complete kitchen, also microwave, dishwasher, etc. All have washer/dryers too. Stores, etc. are close by. The Mahana is just north of Ka'anapoli, below Kapalua. Good location. The beach in front of it is narrow, but just to the left -- a few feet - it is beautiful and you can walk the beach to the south for miles...we have. All have a/c too. We've stayed at the Whaler, Kaanapoli Villas (they have best beach of all), Kaanapoli Shores, & Westin Hotel over the years and there is no better dead-on ocean view then the Mahana.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Sue

The Kaanapali Alii is very nice too.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 09:00 PM
barbara

I love the oceanfront rooms at Napili Kai Beach Club. They have a website for the rooms, which have kitchenettes, that is very self explanatory. I've stayed in those rooms many times and book it frequently as a travel agent.
Great place.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 07:57 AM
jan

The Kaanapali Alii is a deluxe property in the most popular beach in Maui. If you like to be right in the middle of the action, this would be perfect. If you are looking for a more remote place, then maybe take some of these other peoples advice.