Best Middle/High schools near DC metro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family will be transfering to Suitland, MD and I DO NOT want to live there. I am looking for the safest town with the best middle/high schools for my daughter. Please help!!
Thanks
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM
emd

We moved a few years ago (around the beltway from where you'll be) and did extensive research on schools before we decided on where to live in the area. Do the research (you can get the test score results for all area schools to start with- your realtor can help guide you on how to do this, or call the school district office). Then come to MD and stay in the area and visit the middle and high schools that are possibilites according to the work commute. I recommend meeting w/the staff (asst. principal, guidance counselor) and get a feel for the school atmosphere and staff- are they approachable and helpful? Ask questions, about types of classes available (advanced placement opportunities, computer facilities, how many of the grads in the high school go on to college and how many get into the top colleges, sports opportunites, foreign language classes offered, etc.- the things that make those years so important. And walk down the middle of the halls at change of class- does the school keep order or is it chaos and do you get thrown against the lockers. I went to 3 different middle and high school groups and they were totally different from each other. I knew immediately which one was the best for my kids, and that is the area we moved to, and we made the right choice. But I could not have done it based on someone's advice- we actually ended up not in the #1 top notch school area, but in the #2, and it is the very best place for us and the kids.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:13 AM
LN

I'm just guessing but is someone in your family being transferred to the federal reservation there (Oceanographic, Navy, Archives, or Census)?? If that's the case you can find housing almost anywhere that will please your family. Many people working at Suitland live in Calvert County which is just south of Suitland Parkway and Rt 4.

Is this the case??
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Suitland and most of Prince George's County is a hole. Calvert County, Anne Arundel County and even Kent Island should be where you look to live.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Public or Private?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
LHG

I also would suggest Calvery County, Maryland. A few years ago, while my husband was still a Navy pilot, we lived in Solomons stationed at Pax River. Almost everyone would tell us how great the schools were in North Calvert County. We knew people in Dunkirk. Some of the homes there are very beautiful. I'm not sure of your price range, but I would check into calvertcountyrealestate .com to get started. I just googled it for you, and it semms like a good place to start.
Good luck!

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM
LN

Hello

We're hoping you would give us a bit more information.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:16 AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned Montgomery County, MD. I would give Northern PG County and Montgomery County a good look. Also, living in Southern PG county (Brandywine, Accokeek, Aquasco areas) affords you country living, 40 minutes from DC and PG has a "magnet school" program that will allow your child to go to the school that best suits her aptitude and interests. AVOID CHARLES COUNTY!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:54 AM

If you don't want country living and don't want to drive long distances in heavy traffic, Suitland is on the Metro so anywhere that is Metro accessible would work. This could include Montgomery County (either Silver Spring or Bethesda/Rockville) or even Arlington or North Alexandria.