Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

best mexican town to visit that borders Texas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the best Mexican town to visit that borders Texas. I know that Nuevo Laredo is a warzone, so I will stay far away from there.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM

M,

Border cities are not usually the greatest. Why does it have to border?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

what town are you recommending?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM

A lot of people like Matamoros, but we haven't been in years so can't give you any recent opinions.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I agree with Dayle that border towns aren't very nice, and that Nuevo Laredo is definitely not a good place to go.

I'll recommend Cd. Acuna which is across from Del Rio, Texas. I'm usually there once a year or so (we have family in Del Rio) and it is pretty safe. The first 100 yards on the main street have lots of touristy gift shops and several decent bars/restaurants. (Crosby's is legendary because of the George Strait song "Blame It On Mexico" back in the 1980's!)

If you're not a US citizen, be sure to plan on a fairly long wait when you come back across to get your passport re-stamped by Immigration. They don't have much non-US/Mexican traffic at DLR...
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Admittedly I'm biased, but my hometown of McAllen is a wonderful town to visit. Good restaurants, good hotels, and some of the highest volume chain stores in the country at one of the busiest malls in the country. Reynosa, Mexico is across the border and has lots of food and drink. But most visitors stay in McAllen but go about 15 miles east from McAllen and cross into Mexico at a small town called Progreso. Very easy to cross there and mucho shopping and curios.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM

I second Progreso. My sister and brother-in-law lived in Mission for years, so have been to Progreso many many times. Very true easy to get to and great restaurants and shopping. Also my other sister lived in Donna all close to McAllen.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Progreso,eh? sounds more like a store bought Italian sauce. I'll have to visit there someday. Why is the best mexican border towns always the ones youve never heard of, or never hardly on any maps? Ive been to a Mexican border town before, and its so small its rarely on any maps..try to see if you can find out where Los Algodones is.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Well I know it is about 7 miles south of Yuma, AZ. Never been there.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Progreso is an excellent choice. It's between McAllen and Harlingen. Easy to get in and out of. You can walk across at this location, but driving is easy. A lot depands on what part of the state you are going to be in. If you are going to San Antonio and looking for something close to there then the choice is Acuna, across from Del Rio. It's about 120 miles southwest of SAT. Everything you will want is on the main street when you cross the bridge. If you do not want to drive in Mexico then the best thing to do is take a cab across. The bridge is a mile long so it can be a real hike if the weather is hot. You can take a cab back they cross back and forth without any problems. Ma Crosby's is a nice place with great food.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I agree that Progreso is a good little bordertown. My husband and I lived in Weslaco and McAllen for 6 years. Progreso has lots of small shops and restraunts. The best part about it is that it is just a small walk across the bridge to the main street where all the vendors are. You don't have to take a cab anywhere. The only warning I have is to avoid it during spring break. Many college kids that come to South Texas to party on South Padre Island fly into McAllen and make a pit stop at Progreso to buy liquor on the way to SPI. Hope this helps!