Reload this Page >

Best kielbasa in US?

Search

Best kielbasa in US?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Meat eater

Best kielbasa in US?

Where can I find the best kielbasa in the states? We all think of Maine for the best lobster, but what area is best for sausage? Midwest? Please help -- I'm salivating!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Onearea

Polish neighborhood in greenpoint brooklyn. I love going there many shops with 200 sausages hanging from the ceiling (variety beyond belief), speaking polish helps but you can usually find someone bilingual on line.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:50 PM
delaurentis

Kielbasa. Hmmmm. Kielbasa. The casing is key. If it's too dark, it's a little too gamey. If it's too light in color, it's not savory enough.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:08 PM
x

New Castle,Pa.----Wasilewski`s Market........

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:51 PM
iii

New Britain, CT - Nozewski Market - they make all of their kielbasa on the premises.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:55 PM
John

Hamtramck, Michigan. A suburb of Detroit. The best kielbasa outside of Poland.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Patrick

Thanks John for posting the definitive answer. I tried to post three times and each time my spelling of Hamtramck looked more and more wrong. I'm assuming you've spelled it correctly. It has to be the best!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:49 PM
charles

bOSTON HAS SURPRISINGLY GOOD KIELBASA IN THE OLD POLISH AREA. thAT SAID, I would think the midwest might have even better.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:43 PM
GPWWO

Central Nebraska was settled by Southern Germans and Poles. The best Kielbasa I have ever eaten was in the diner on the town square, in Tecumseh NE (South eastern part of the state). It was home made, very spicy and served with also homemade sweet and sour cabbage.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Steve

Utica, NY - I can't rember the name of the place, but anyone from Utica will know where I mean.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Frank

midwest shmidwest the true polish communities stay as close as they can get to Poland in U.S GREENPOINT Bklyn baby. I grew up on this meat, my father was second generation and spoke Polish fluently. I would come to the east coast for Polish food.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Tracey

The best is in NYC on 2nd Ave between 8th & 9th Streets in the Ukrainian section. The butcher is called Barchinskys (sp?).

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Dinah

A couple of years ago, we used to frequent a street vendor in NYC (5th Avenue in the mid 50's) who sold the most incredible kielbasa lunches. A link or two with potatoes and sauerkraut for about 4 bucks. Wow, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
Any NY-ers in the area-is this gentleman still in business??

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Stash

With all of the (usually valid) criticism thrown the way of Scranton, PA, it is only fair to acknowledge that the area offers some of the best Polish food in the country. Everyone seems to have a favorite Mom and Pop grocery/butcher that makes kielbasa. (Note that local spelling may vary - e.g., kilbasi) They've been so good for so long that even the chain stores know they have to offer some pretty good stuff to compete. There's also a substantial "underground cottage industry" in the area, especially around deer season.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
sady

Chicopee Massachusetts (western part of Massachusetts near Springfield) has a big Kielbasa Festival every year. They claim to showcase the world's largest kielbasa. Check it out!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Victoria

Hamtramck, Michigan. Definitely!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:02 PM
kielbasa fan

I just want to say that I think this is a great posting, and I am SO happy to see that everyone has given such informative replies. I am a kielbasa fan but opened this posting with a sense of dread, thinking this might be a joke! You never know around here.

That said, my vote is definitely for Hamtramck.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Debbie X

Schwetti's Deli in Brooklyn. Mmm. I can't wait to get my mouth around a Schwetti Kielbasa.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:19 PM
I'mnotpolishbut

Any stall at the Broadway Market in Buffalo. Buffalo is 2nd only to Chicago for the greatest amount of Polish immigrants in America. These people know their sausage.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:20 PM
k

Hmmm. Casing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -