Search

Best Island For Outdoors Activities

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Island For Outdoors Activities

Hi,

Will be going to Hawaii some time in September thru November, for roughly 7 days. I am trying to figure out what is the best island to visit. Enjoy doing the outdoor type things more than the city stuff. Will rent a car, so should be able to get around fairly easily. Prefer the areas where the crowds are small unless it is a must see attraction. Out of the September thru November what is the best time as far as good weather and lowest cost?
One question about the big island, how many miles is it around the coast to drive?
Thanks
Tim
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM

It's about 200 miles around the Big Island. (I assume you known the entire drive is not on the coast.)
Weather is usually good in the fall in Hawaii--as always, some parts of each island are more likely to get rain than other parts. It will be a little cooler as you progress into fall. This is a good website for Hawaiian weather http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/
Fall is a less popular travel time so prices should be less--not sure one month is less expensive than others.
Plenty of outdoor stuff to do on all the islands.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM

In general, May and late Sept./early Oct. are my favorite times to visit Hawaii, so I think you're going at the right time. Really any of the months you're looking at would be great though. In terms of wonderful outdoor activities without the crowds, I would definitely recommend Kauai. For a 7-day trip, you can experience hiking through amazing tropical forests, swimming at fantastic beaches, and exploring all types of different climatic zones (there are everything from lush jungles to desert-like canyons on Kauai). The scenery on Kauai is amazing, especially along the north shore. Weather should not be an issue, and water temps should be ideal (although as you get further into Nov., I guess water tems will start to cool a bit). Have fun!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM

The Big Island is really diverse, with many different types of terrain. It is by far the largest, but it is the least populated of the four major islands.

The Ironman Triathlon takes place October 11 this year, so that creates a more lively scene than normal which you may want to avoid unless you enjoy watching the race (which I love to do).

The four corners of the Big Island have charming rural towns, beautiful hikes to waterfalls and botanical gardens, and the unusual Paniolo (cowboy) culture of Waimea. There are many historical sites as well, including the birthplace of King Kamehameha, and the interesting Place of Refuge. The Big Island also has the upcountry coffee culture, the Mauna Kea Observatory, and of course, the volcano.

All the islands are gorgeous with great aloha spirit. The Big Island will involve driving and a lot more exploring, although the drives are beautiful (a lot more lava fields than you might expect, though).

Kauai is much smaller and more manageable, and because it is the oldest island geologically, it is more all-over green and lush, and is just gorgeous.

I'm much more familiar with the Big Island, but you will find great beauty without crowds on either island.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM

I think Sept and Oct would be best weatherwise. Nov. is getting closer to winter storm times.
Between Kauai and Maui: Kauai has more variety of hiking adventures and also has river kayaking adventures. (Maui has no rivers). Kauai has less crowds. Since the recession, many hotels on all islands are giving discounts or extra nights. I haven't been to BI so can't comment on that island.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, we decided on the Big Island for this trip. Really want to see the volcano.
Thanks
Tim