Best Hotels for $200 per night or less

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone reccommend any hidden gem boutique type hotels on the following islands for approx. $200 per night. (Maui, Oahu, Kauai and Big Island)

Criteria:
1) Not looking for the massive resorts even though I am sure they are beautiful like the Four Seasons, Fairmonts, Ritz's. Also, not real interested in high rise condos. (do not need any cooking facilities)

2) But looking for the smaller one or two story places with great setting and atmosphere. (kinda like boutique hotels).
Modern/ contemporary type places would be great but open to anything that is unique that will be memorable.

Need many suggestions as I will be going on my honeymoon for 16 days and covering 4 islands so we will be moving around which we like to do. (i guess 4 days for each island).

I just want to make sure we are staying in some great places that are unique for this special occasion. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM
MaureenB

Not a boutique hotel, but a small condo complex: Sea Village on the Big Island, just below the Kona area. It is very nicely kept, with ocean views from most units, and very reasonably priced. About six three-story buildings (no elevators). The units are individually owned, so Google Sea Village for listings. Or we've rented through Donita's Vacations. Not sure if you can rent for less than a week, though. Our family has stayed there about three times, and always happy we were there instead of others close by which look more sterile. A little pool, free tennis, free barbeque grills to use in a pretty garden area. Great setting away from Kona crowds, but close to beaches, etc. Have fun!

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Ag3046

What time of year are you going? Rates can change substantially depending on the season.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Big Island: Keauhou Beach Resort
link: www.outrigger.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=93
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM

On Oahu, try the Hawaiiana - it's a low-rise, older hotel with lovely garden atmosphere - lots of plumeria trees, two pools. Located right in the heart of Waikiki - a half block from the beach, steps from Kalakaua. Very reasonably priced. Look up their website at Hawaiianahotel.com. I loved it there and try to stay there when I'm in Waikiki, so do several family members - it's a lovely break from the busy-ness of Waikiki. But don't expect a concierge or room service - it has none of the resort ammenities.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I am flexible on when I will be going. Maybe the first two weeks of December as I was told anytime before Dec. 15th is low season.

There seems to be so many hotels to stay at and I wanted something small, upscale, on the ocean and with real lush green grounds. I would even go higher than $200 per night if it was real special.

So, does anyone have any hidden gems they would like to share? Thanks.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Have you considered a luxury inn/b and b--two come to mind on the BI--both on the Hamakua Coast--Waianuhea near Honokaa http://waianuhea.com-. Also Palms Cliff House near Hilo- http://palmscliffhouse.com They both are gorgeous, luxurious, romantic and highly rated but may be over $200/night. They also are not ocean front, though Palms Cliff does over look the water and you can see the ocean from Waianuhea. The volcano is an easy drive from either and the Kohala beaches are probably 1hr-1 1/s hr away. Maybe you could do beach front on the other islands???
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM

On Maui we like Napili Kai. not exacly botique, but quiet on a quiet cove, and the best breakfast on the island. REasonable-under $200 easily. Great snorkeling and a great beach next door at kapalua. Check out their website napilikai.com
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
At bashfulLV's recommendation (& i'm still thanking her) I stay at The Hawaiiana Hotel on Beach Walk. It's very old-school or "retro" and just lovely. It's $125-165/night and rooms have kitchenettes. There's nothing really "boutique" about it though -haha.

Similar category is The Breakers right next door.

I enjoyed an apartment at the Hawaiian King just a month ago for $150/night. Great place.

But I want to repeat in that price range the "hidden gems" you will find are far from "boutique type hotels"!!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Ag3046

Your price range is not going to allow really hidden gems. Try about $400 a night for that.

" Small, upscale, on the ocean, with lush green grounds" is really in the 4-star, $400 a night-plus region. It's the on-the-ocean part that is really expensive.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe you could consider different kinds of places and divide your nightly budget up not evenly. Spend more and splash out the first few nights somewhere special, then rent a cottage on other islands?

My fear is your expectations (criteria) and budget will be hard to match up in Hawaii.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I haven't stayed here, but have heard good things about the Lahaina Inn on Maui over the years:
http://www.iloveinns.com/innlink.php...haina&state=HI
It is in your price range, and looks romantic.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Ag3046

It's too bad you can't find some way to stay the first few nights of your honeymoon in a really great place- www.konavillage.com

It's a splurge, but it's a great way to de-stess from all the wedding hoopla.