Reload this Page >

Best fall foilage and B&B

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2000, 04:41 AM
Kim

I am planning "girls weekend" 50th birthday celebration for a dear friend. I need your help because I have never been to the Boston area.
Two questions:
**Would like to stay at a luxurious B&B or inn. (Budget is not a factor.)
**Would like suggestions concerning fall foilage touring and any other "must see".
Thank you.
Kim

Old May 30th, 2000, 05:15 AM
Betsy

A couple questions for you. Do you want to stay in/near the city, or out in the country? Also, when exactly do you plan on visiting?? "Peak" foliage in Boston is around Columbus Day, whereas points north and west are earlier. I can give you some great suggestions in Vermont and New Hampshire if interested.(The Equinox, Balsams, Mt. Washington Hotel) If Boston is what you are looking for, hopefully someone else can help! Have a great time!

Old May 30th, 2000, 08:45 AM
DougD

Do you want to see Boston, or the New England countryside? The most beautiful countryside is in Vermont, and parts of New Hampshire - several hours from Boston. Northern New England can be unbelieveably scenic during foliage season, but some roads become clogged with tourists.

Old May 30th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Kay

If budget is REALLY not an issue, check out Twin Farms in Vermont or The Point (near Lake Placid, NY...not close enough, I realize). TF is unbelievable based on its description and pictures. The list of past guests is a who's who of American celebrity. But at $1000+ a night, I suppose it should be. (Then again, you could get 3 or 4 rooms for the price of merc's suite at The Plaza in NYC!).
Aside from VT and NH, the Berkshire area (western MA) has some very nice lodgings and great scenery, as does Kennebunkport.
Other nice options: Have you considered a side trip to Nantucket (Wauwinet Inn) or Martha's Vineyard (Charlotte Inn). Both lodgings are exceptional.

Old May 30th, 2000, 06:33 PM
Lisa

Two of our favorite New England B and Bs are the Rosewood Inn in Henniker, NH, and the IB Munson House in Wallingford, Vt. Both would be great for foliage. The Vermont one is in a more mountainous area, the New Hampshire one near the lake country.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:06 AM
candy

i spent my childhood going leafpeeping on the Mohawk Trail, which was fantastic at peak season. i'm embarrassed to say i can't remember where in new england it was--western mass? i've seen a lot of foliage in a lot of places since then, but nothing compares.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 01:23 PM
CMcDaniel

Candy, the Mohawk Trail is rte 2 in the northern Berkshires of MA. The stretch from North Adams to Greenfield is beautiful! Do you remember that hairpin turn?? Still scares me!