Reload this Page >

Best Directions fromToronto, Canada to Yarmouth, Cape Cod

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2000, 12:12 PM
Suzanne Kunin

My husband and I are going, by car, on a weeks vacation to West Yarmouth at the end of May. We would like to know what the best route would be from Toronto, Canada to our destination.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 12:29 PM
robbin

Go to Mapquest.com

Old May 2nd, 2000, 01:20 PM
Dick

I'm assuming you're more interested in the Cape Cod end, which I know something about, rather than the Toronto end, which you presumably already know. From the map it looks like you'll probably drop down to Buffalo and head east on I-90, which will become the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Take the 'Pike to I-495 South (Exit 11A), which will take you in about one hour to the Bourne Bridge over the Cape Cod Canal. After you cross the bridge you will be at a rotary (traffic circle) - go 3/4 of the way around and take the road that parallels the canal on the "east" (it's actually the south, but even the locals don't often realize that) side. Follow this road for about 5 miles and at the first stoplight take the ramp up to Route 6 east. This is a much easier way to get to Rt. 6 than the other side of the canal, where the traffic varies between tedious and hair-raising, nothing in-between.

Follow Rt. 6 to Exit 7 and head south into W. Yarmouth. Don't take Exit 6, which will lead you through the Hyannis congestion.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 04:57 PM
Marie

NOnonononono. Head east on 401 to Exit 659 (thousand islands bridge). Proceed south on 81 to 90East. Then follow previous poster's directions. Coming around to Buffalo takes you way far out of your way. Have a nice time in Cape Cod. We are going in September.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 07:47 PM
Dave

Try using MAPQUEST.COM for travel directions. It's a great way to find ways from anywhere to anywhere (including Canada). have a great vacation. Cape Cod is a super vacation spot.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 07:32 AM
cass

Taking I 495 is a much better idea than going all the way to I-95/93 and taking Rte. 3 down, just in case you were tempted. Rte. 3 is a parking lot most weekends, and be prepared for horrendous congestion on Rte. 6 if you are going over Mem. Day (take alternative routs, even if you think you are going out of your way). Do whatever it takes to avoid arriving on a Fri. afternoon (if Sat. go as EARLY as possible) or leaving on a Sunday.

Re: MapQuest -- here's a dissenting vote. I have found their maps to be unnervingly inaccurate at odd moments, and often difficult to read if intersections are at all complicated. In New England it's CRITICAL to know street names (since they wind endlessly) and rt. numbers, both, and MapQuest can be really sketchy about that except at the most local level.

In the US the Amer. Auto. Assoc. can provide really good routing -- does Canadian counterpart do the same? If so, go there.