Best Deal on Disney Tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. This is my first post to Fodor's so please let me know if my question isn't straight forward. My family (5 adults & an 11 year old) is going to Orlando late May/early June and I am confused when I see several websites stating "Get your discount tickets here." Does anyone know where to get the BEST discounts on tickets with the Park Hopper option? We do not need a combo pack with hotel as we are planning to stay off grounds (possibly Windsor Hills?). Also, we are thinking to spend around 4-5 days at the parks. Does that sound like a reasonable amount of time? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM
J62

There are internet forums dedicated to Disney that may have more info than Fodors. I think www.disboards.com is one of them. If you don't get good info here try searching for your answer there.

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM

mrw1975, start with disbaords, as J62 suggests, or look here:
http://allearsnet.com/pl/ticket.htm

If you're an AAA member, they sell discounted tickets, and there are some other sources for legitimate discounts on tickets, but many discount or free ticket offers require you to sit through a time-share presentation.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Don't get too excited about looking for really great discounts for the Disney Parks. They really don't exist, but some small discounts are available. Other than the timeshare deals (what a horrible way to have to spend a vacation -- listening to hard sell techniques), I think AAA is probably about as good as they get.

Personally I think your 4 to 5 days is good if you haven't been there before. But I'd seriously consider looking at some of the onsite hotels. Going back and forth, waiting in line at the gates, paying to park, and being kind of stuck there all day may not be the best way to see Disney. There's a lot to be said for on site stays where you don't have to go through all the entrance and parking issues, and you can easily go back to your hotel for a while during the day for a rest. The best times in the park are the early morning and the late nights. If you're on site you usually also can get into the park earlier in the mornings and beat the crowds at the best and most popular attractions.

And do check out some of the packages which really might be very worthwhile in terms of both hotel lodging and ticket savings.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be careful with discounters. They are not all for real. As mentioned, AAA offers discounts on Disney tickets.
Check out www.mousesavers.com
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
GoTravel

The best discounts are the park hoppers.

I highly suggest staying on site. The parks open an hour earlier for on site guests and you do not need a car once on property as Disney provides excellent free transportation.

Also, that time of year, it is preferable to go back to your hotel from about 12-4 and hang out at the pool or go to one of the water parks (included in the park hopper passes) because it is so hot.

Staying on property makes it so much easier.

Go to www.Mousesavers.com for excellent discount codes for hotels.

By the way, there is no discount park hopper pass because the park hopper is the discount.

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I also urge you to visit other parks as well. Both Universal and Islands of Adventure are lots of fun, and Sea World remains my favorite of all.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM

You can save around $16.00pp for a 5 day Park Hopper at www.ticketmania.com. I've used them with no problems.

AAA, undercovertourist.com and mapleleaftickets.com all offered about a $10.00pp savings when compared to the prices at disneyworld.com.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM

A broker that is recommended very highly in the Disney boards is www.undercovertourist.com. They seem to have specials that are pretty good. As mentioned before, a Disney package for 4 or 5 days may end up being your best price option, especially since the time you are visiting isn't a particularly busy time and there may be specials (unless it is Memorial Day). There will also be a cost savings because you wont' need to pay for a transfer from the airport or parking every day ($11) Check out this page for a summary of discounts:
http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwtixdiscounts.html

The age groups in your party may enjoy Islands of Adventure in Universal Studios, especially if there are any roller coaster fans. 4-5 days will be a hectic time, but enough to do alot of things.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Are you absolutely sure you need the Park Hopper option? It is an expensive add-on ($45 per person, plus tax)that will add about $300 to your trip cost. On top of that, you loose time by going from one park to another so your cost per hour of fun goes up quite a bit.

We had www.buildabettermousetrip.com plan our last two trips and they've always advised against the hopper option for the reasons above. The helped us plan an itinerary that put us in the least busy park for each day of our trip and we just did one park per day.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM

I'd suggest going directly to Disney, as they have amazing specials which include hotel, tickets and meals (if you wish). I was looking at doing a special a few weeks ago and I think I got a price of $400 including hotel and tickets for 6 nights/7 days.

Off season you can get some great deals.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great help! I really appreciate it.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM

If you are staying at a Disney property, buying your tickets (with parkhopper) in a package with your room is the best value. The AAA discount is minimal.

Neopatrick is exactly correct, there are no great deals. If you go for a deep discounter, there is a catch you're not aware of or a risk that could be ugly.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

You absolutely do not need to stay on property to still have a fun Disney experience. If you want to spend the money, go for it. Yes, the hotels are neat but you do not save that much time in getting to the parks. The bus system is often backed up during more crowded times. I have been going to DL and WDW for years and have never stayed on property. It is very easy to drive your car in and park at whichever park you are visiting that day. Disney knows how to get everyone in and parked in a timely manner.

Go to www.mousesavers.com and sign up for the monthly newsletter. There will be a link to the undercovertourist site with a slightly better discount than by just going to the site itself.

As a former AAA travel agent I can say with some authority that you will save no money by staying on property or doing a package. The room prices alone are ridiculous. I know some will say you are paying for the "magic" but you can get just as much by going to the parks only. I am taking my family again at the end of May and we only need beds and a shower as we will be in the parks all day. We are staying in a Travelodge suite for $33 a night. The least expensive suite on property was more than $200 per night. Gee, I think I will save that money so I can travel more than once a year.

Everyone has to decide which way is best for them and not everyone is as "cheap" as I am. By not staying on property and saving that money I can also afford to spend 8 days in Hawaii in November.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM

trlgirlmq, to each his own, but there are ECONOMY lodgings on site in addition to the expensive ones. And even the hotels at the "village" are considered onsite, yet are generally as cheap as nearly any offsite.

But to me (and obviously to many others) the "magic" that you pay for to be on the grounds, is that there is nothing worse in my mind than getting to the park at opening every day and not leaving until the park closes at night, with no real respite from the pace. Who wants to get in their car and drive back out of the park to another hotel, and then come back a few hours later refreshed to go through the parking thing (including paying for parking AGAIN)? The great joy in my book is being able to take a nice break midday and return to your onsite room which is close and usually done by their transportation.

But then this same argument applies to any travel. Some like saving money and staying in the "suburbs" of Paris or London and then commuting in for the day. Others like to be able to pop in or out of their more central hotel and be able to return for a nice rest or even a shower and fresh up. (And trust me, in Disney World in late May or June I'd HATE to be in the park for over 12 hours without a shower at some point -- more importantly, I'd hate for others to be around me.)
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM

NeoPatrick - When I called about reservations at the Value Resorts for this May we would be required to have 2 rooms for the six people at over $1300.00 for 6 nights! The Value Resorts don't give you any thing special. You get 2 double beds and a bathroom. They don't even have a fridge or microwave without a fee. To me that is highway robbery. For less than $250 we are getting 3 double beds, bath, micowave, mini-fridge & continental breakfast. That is a "value" resort to me.

You don't have to stay in the parks from open to close. There are times when we spend the morning at the pool, have lunch and naptime (we still have 2 little ones) and then go to the park about 3 or 4 and stay to watch the fireworks. On the other hand we will also go at opening and leave at 5 or 6.

There are many ways to enjoy Disney and I just choose to do it on a budget. I would rather save my money for Europe or Hawaii. The Disney trips every other year are just a way to tide us over while we save our pennies for the bigger trips like Franc and Holland in summer 2009.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM

I've got to totally disagree with trlgrlmq. We've been converted to staying on property and have found it to be definately economical. We've literally stayed in every class of hotels on property, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans, Coronado Springs to name a few. Keep in mind you pay to park $10 per day (I think)if you stay off property. It's free to Disney guests so automatically add that to your costs. Ticket prices drop dramatically for the longer the period of time you stay, up to the point that you are paying less than $20 difference per day between 4 and 5 days.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
GoTravel

trlgirl, if you've never stayed on property then you really don't know what you are talking about.

I've stayed on and off property and the difference is huge.

I've also stayed at all of the All Star Properties, Pop Century, The Yacht Club (club level), The Grand Floridian, The Contemporary, and The Swann and Dolfin.

I've also stayed off site at the big Holiday Inn and the big round hotel on Internation Drive and I've stayed in Kissimmee.

I've been at all times of the year and have been going to Walt Disney World since 1975 when they opened and I've never encountered crowded Disney transportation.

The only time I've encountered a line was the few minutes I've had to wait for the next bus, boat, or monorail.

By going to Mousesavers I've gotten the All Stars for as little as $49 off season and $77 in season.

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
GoTravel

For the heck of it, I went to the Disney site and priced a package for seven nights starting May 28th.

For seven nights accommodations in one of the All Star Resorts for four people, four park hopper with two plus options for seven days, and three meals a day for four people with all taxes it came to $2100.

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM

I too have been to Disney World a lot, and have stayed onsite and offsite. There is NO comparison in my book.

I'm a little confused by some of the response from trvlgirlmq. Granted if you just can't find housing on site that is affordable for you then fine, I understand. But I think you're still missing the point about going to the park BEFORE it is open to the public for a few hours and beating the crowds to the hot attraction, then maybe returning for relaxation to your hotel, and then returning to the park at night until closing. Opening and closing are by FAR my favorite two times in the park. Staying at your offsite hotel until the day is half over and then spending the hottest part of the day IN the park, just isn't the same thing at all. That's when I want to escape and go back to relax by a pool or cool off in my room and return in the late afternoon or early evening, refreshed all over again.

And I didn't quite get the pricing -- was that $1300 for two rooms or one? Did you check the package rates with admissions and possible meals included? And is that "under $250 for 6 people" really only one bathroom? I'd be willing to spend a lot more for two rooms meaning you have 2 bathrooms. I can't imagine 6 people sharing a bathroom and shower!

By the way, we really checked one day when we were staying offsite -- but quite close. We got caught in the opening hours line of cars for quite a while, had to wait for the parking lot tram -- we were parked way out. We noted once we actually got into the park (Epcot, that day) that it was exactly 2 hours from when we had left our hotel just a couple miles away! That doesn't happen every day, but it does happen frequently. No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -