Reload this Page >

Best daytrip/bus tour from San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Mike H.

We(my wife and son(19 yrs. old and myself) fly in to San Diego Tuesday for six nights.
Since this is our first trip to California I want to make it an awesome trip. We are from Illinois (landlubbers) late 40's who enjoy easy hikes(photography), history, museums. We have been to Sea World in Florida. And our St. Louis Zoo(very nice) it's free)But I understand San Diego Zoo is about $25.00 I am interested in a bus tour to stars'/Hollywood from San Diego; possibly doing a day trip to Long Beach for Queen Mary and Aquarium of the Pacific; or Knott's Berry Farm/Movieland Wax Museum; possibly a visit to Palm Springs. I am interested in hearing from others about their experiences. Help me with my itinerary. Thanks in advance. Also, help for discount tickets, etc.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Sarah

San Diego Zoo is one best zoos! Make sure to plan on going later in the afternoon, so you can stay and see the zoo at night. While you're at the zoo, be sure to wander over to Balboa Park. Wild Animal Park is also a very popular tourist destination.

While Palm Springs is a fun place, it's extremely hot this time of year. I don't think I can see pulling yourself away from San Diego for enduring the heat.

The Queen Mary is probably not worth a special trip. And the Aquarium of the Pacific has been having financial difficulties and not considered to be worth the price of admission by many people I know who have gone.

You're going to find that there is a lot to do right there in the San Diego area. Be sure to head over to Coronado Island. If you enjoy horse races, Del Mar (northern San Diego) is a real treat - you can see the ocean in the background.

If your family likes lobster, I'd suggest heading down to Puerto Nuevo (not too far across the Mexican border). Great lobster dinners at very reasonable prices.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Becky

Naturally you will now hear from someone with an opposing opinion! I personally love the Queen Mary, she is not in perfect repair, it's true, but still an amazing piece of history, and still beautiful. I recommend her two restaurants, Chelsea and Sir Winston's, for dinner. The Aquarium of the Pacific is a wonderful place! And at $15/pp. it's a bargain. The displays focus on the more colorful fish from the Pacific island regions, although there are a few sea lions, etc. too. The entire area surrounding the Long Beach harbor has undergone quite a transformation, it is very nice to view. A water taxi service runs this summer, taking you between the Aquarium-Shoreline Village (restaurants, etc)-and Queen Mary for $1/pp. per trip.
I agree that it's too hot to enjoy Palm Springs in August.
If you go up into LA area I highly recommend also the (J. Paul) Getty Museum.
San Diego has alot to offer itself!
Balboa Park houses many different museums, beautiful old style architecture, along with the Zoo.
The Gaslamp Quarter can be fun to walk around in. Point Loma, a lighthouse point has a great view of San Diego City and Harbor from above. Take a harbor tour by boat, see the old Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island.
Knott's is fun, but don't feel bad if you miss the wax museum, it's pretty old & tired. Maybe the Hollywood one is better.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Becky

Also, Mike, e-mail me direct for a special tip about the Queen Mary!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 07:53 PM
don

If you decide to take a trip up to see the Queen Mary, you might also consider taking part of the day and taking the boat over to Catalina. The boats are right near where the Queen Mary is docked. I've taken many trips to the west coast and consider Catlina one of my best sidetrips. It is a beautiful island with plenty of sightseeing and shopping. You won't regret the trip.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Tina

Be sure to take the trolley guided tour through San Diego on your first full day there. It makes stops at all of the major attractions and you'll be able to come back later in the week to any of your favorites.

While the Queen Mary is ok for a one time visit, it wouldn't make my list if you only have 6 days in Southern California.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Pat

I like zoos and have been to the one in St. Louis (nice); however, the one in San Diego is fantabulous. Not even close in comparison. The hippo pool, panda exhibit and primate areas are worth hours of time. Plan an entire day there and it is worth any admission they care to charge. Also, take a harbor cruise.