best camping florida beaches,pets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, can anyone please advise us on the best beaches for camping in florida. Even one? We have a 25 foot pop up and a dog. We don't want to be packed in like sardines. We want to enjoy the beautiful ocean breezes. Any gems out there that you can recommend? We are travelling in Feb and March. Many thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Can't help you but will be looking forward to reading those who do. DH wants to taske his dogs to the beach, somewhere, anywhere, they love the water. We are looking at mid MArch to, not to hot for doggie feet on the sand.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:46 AM

There's a book called a Dog's Companion to Florida or something like that that offers information about all the dog-friendly areas in Florida. We have found that many beaches in Florida restrict dogs because they are worried about owners not cleaning up after their dogs. For example, Pensacola Beach restricts dogs everywhere. Sanibel Island allows dogs, but not sure about camping. There are lots of state parks that allow dogs at the campsites but not on the beach (so what's the point in bringing dog, right?) I would look at that book or at pets-welcome.com to look for camping areas. Haven't camped much with our dog, so I can't really be of help.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:10 AM

There is a "dog beach" near Ponce Inlet/Daytona Beach. I believe there is a campground near there, too, but I'm not positive. www.petswelcome.com can probably help.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Try this one:

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/gulfbeach/

I believe they allow pets, and it is right on a beautiful Gulf beach. Call about pets.
Have a great trip!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Fort DeSoto is a beautiful campsite and is dog friendly. It is located at the south end of St. Petersburg. We loved the whole park and they even have a doggie beach, a section of the beach set aside for dogs and their owners. WE didn't have our dogs with us, but set up our beach chairs in this area, just to be around the dogs. It was so funny to watch all the dogs at the beach, they were all having a ball.
The beach is quite nice, as, is the whole park.
I'm not sure of the web site, but do a search on Fort DeSoto.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I forgot to add that they even have showers for the dogs....and a large leash free area set back from the beach.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:05 PM
CF

Destin...Camping on the Gulf. You can't take doggie on the beach, you have to be a FL resident and have a permit, but you can camp w/i 20 feet of the beach. Try rvnet.com. They have destination forums and a lot of postings on campgrounds. Much as I love Fodors, they are lacking when it comes to camping info.