Search

Best Broadway Plays

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 07:33 PM
karin

Best Broadway Plays

Will be in NY at the end of June and looking to go to at least 3 Broadway or off-Broadway plays. Tickets to the Lion King are out of the question - sold out. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 06:50 AM
JB

Don't give up on Lion King or other Broadway tickets just yet! See my reply to message titled "broadway matinee" in this forum.

As for plays, I've seen all the big Broadway shows. For my money, "Les Miserables" is a "can't miss" - fabulous! The Disney shows are, well, Disney (great for kids, a little something for grown-ups, too).

Don't skip other Broadway or off-Broadway action! Favorites include: "The Blue Man Group" (musical feast for the ears and eyes!), "Rent" or "Stomp" (both are incredible toe-tappers) and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

Enjoy!

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 03:54 PM
Debbie

Karen - If you've got any interest in a very upbeat and lively Broadway musical, and like 50's music, don't miss Smokey Joe's Cafe. It's a high energy performance, to say the least.

Have fun whatever you see.

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 05:37 PM
Glenn

Karin
Welcome to New York!! I suggest that you look at the following website- www.playbill.com- Not only does it list and describe all plays in NY, but it allows you to purchase tickets on line with the use of seating charts.
Two off-Broadway shows that I suggest are Over The River and Through The Woods and I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.
Just saw Art last weekend, very good with a great cast- George Wendt, Judd Hirsch, and Joe Morton. Ragtime is also very good. Favorite is Les Mis.
Any questions feel free to e-mail me

Glenn

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 10:27 PM
Ken

Les Miserables at the Imperial is the best and not hardto get good seats for because it's been around for a while. But if you have not seen this one it is a must. Sit in the balcony in the front two rows or so. Have a great time.

Old Feb 25th, 1999, 04:10 PM
andrea

The Sound of Music is great!

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 08:31 AM
parrot mom

Hi-have just seen Lion King in New York--you can stand in line for people who have to turn in their tickets or buy from a broker...also see Ragtime--and of course Les Miserables...If Lion King and Ragtime travel to your closest big city it will not be the same--they will have to cut down the staff and effects, especially for Lion King--Miss Saigon is great too.. Good Luck

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 03:12 PM
steve

I agree that Playbill on Line is a very good site. Also agree that if you've never seen Les Miserables it is a wonderful show. Other options really depend on your tastes. For something a little more contempory with a slightly rock edge RENT is an excellent show. More traditional but also very good is RAGTIME- lovely music and sets. The revivals of CHICAGO and CABARET are both outstanding. Check out New York Magazine and Time Out New York for the latest info on off Broadway shows-for something really over the top-go see HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH- it is a very big off Broadway hit, but it is certainly not for everyone.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 02:35 PM
Suz

I would suggest going to the TKTS booth in Duffy Square to get half price (if not half price, lower price) tickets on the day of the show. The TKTS booth opens at 11:00 am, and you can buy tickets for shows at 2 pm or 8 pm. They don't have every single play/musical on or off b'way, but they offer a lot of shows, and it's much cheaper than paying $65 or more for a seat.

By the way, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an excellent show. Go see it if you want to see something different and more irreverent than the bogus Lion Kings or Cats tourist attractions.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 02:49 PM
Jordan

see whatever is playing at the WPA theatre, for some nice Off-Broadway.

Usually seats available and good seats at that and of course, see the Mets at Shea!

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 06:30 PM
Dale

Just got back from NY and saw Chicago, good musical with Bebe Newirth (Lilith form Cheers/Frazier), Beauty & The Beast, and Night Must Fall, a drama with Matthew Broderick as a murderer (no musical numbers. TKTS has reduced price tix, but its cash only, and selection was fair, especially on Sat. We had better luck just going to box offices at each theater and asking what they had available, either for that day or upcoming. Would recommend any of the three, but Chicago was my favorite and the theater is pretty cool.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Alison

Karin-
I live in NYC and have many of the shows here. My favorite - Les Mis. I would not recommend taking children to see this show - it is very long and they may not find it enjoyable. I didn't like Smokey Joe's, but Rent is phenomenal!!!!! A must see!! You should be able to get tickets for either of those shows, as it is only March. Besides those two, I've heard that Chicago is excellent, as well as, Phantom. I all depends what type of show you like. Definitely Les Miserble! Have fun in the city - it's a great place to see.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:00 AM
GoTravel

ttt for Wayne

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GoTravel, I'm trying to figure out what Wayne asked (I haven't seen his post) that would indicate topping a thread about best Broadway Plays of 6 years ago would be an appropriate response. Care to explain why?
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Never mind. I get it. Wayne was the one who posted about not bringing up old posts.

(You're evil, GoTravel!) LOL
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:23 AM
iw

Les Mis is awesome! We just saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and it was hilarious! I haven't laughed that hard in years.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Ditto Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is very entertaining
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
GoTravel

All in good fun Patrick, all in good fun!X)

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 02:13 PM

LOL GoTravel!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Check Playbill.com for what's currently playing. Also, if you want an idea of what's likely to be available at the tkts booth, look in the News section for the previous week's grosses. Shows that are only selling 50 or 60 percent will be eager to fill seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -