Best Bon Dance Oahu AUGUST

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Sarah

Best Bon Dance Oahu AUGUST

This is a shot but who can tell me where the best Bon Dance occurs on Oahu in August?

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Melissa

Sarah, I'm not sure what you would classify as "best"....some people would grade the bon dance location as "best" based on food, others on the social activity, and still others on sheer size. Here's a calendar (when in doubt on events in Hawaii, do a search on starbulletin.com!) of the bon dances available on all islands.
http://starbulletin.com/2001/05/28/news/story7.html

I've *heard* that the Haleiwa, Waipahu, and Manoa ones are the ones to go to, but they're a little out of the way for me (I'm lazy!), so I'm only familiar with the Honpa Hongwanji and the Soto Mission bon dances, both in the Nuuanu area.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Sarah

Thanks Melissa I went to Soto Mission last year. I would like to the one with the most Grandma's dancing. I find it very moving to watch them dance, they seem to have such a reverance for what they are doing. I don't participate, I am not Asian and I really try to stay in the background. But I just love watching this. I suppose a poor Bon Dance would be one with a lot of me tagging along or worse hopping in on the dance. But I never thought about the food angle I am always too reluctant to even inquire about that sort of thing. I don't want to make a tourist event out of something that seems like a link with the past for members. Unfortunately that is what I am doing so if I can find one with less mainlanders attending I think I will be in better shape.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Melissa

Hmm! I wasn't aware that mainlanders attended ANY of these! Your best bet for the most grandmas and the least tourists would PROBABLY be (I'm guessing) in the rural areas, like Aiea, Waipahu, and Wahiawa. The Koganji one in Manoa should also be good--a couple of my friends said the teriyaki sticks they sell there are good. The ones near Kapahulu and Moiliili are rather close to Waikiki so I can see where a tourist might wander in.

But, this particular answer that I'm giving you is based on hearsay and guessing (based on eyeballing demographics), not my actual knowledge! Good luck. I'm sure that, no matter which one you attend, you'll have fun. As you can see from the calendar I sent, there are dance practices, so you *could* join in. You should also call the selected church to find out if/when their floating lantern ceremony is, which is really moving.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Sarah

Thanks Melissa, I especially like hearing about the floating lantern ceremony. I thought this was mostly held in March. I would love to see that.I am so psyched. I am coming from the east coast and we just don't have this exposure to Asian culture. I am so happy to show this to my nieces and nephews.