Reload this Page >

Best beer bars in US

Search

Best beer bars in US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:35 AM
ssurp

Best beer bars in US

Just out of curiousity, and my being a beer geek, anyone out there have their list of best beer bars in the US? I mean pubs, bars that have a good selection of GOOD beer on tap and in bottle. I've traveled coast to coast many times and have been to many. My favorite is Monk's Cafe in Philly. Best selection of beer anywhere, and their Belgian food is outstanding.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Minnywall

As I was reading your post, Monk's Cafe was the first thing that came into my mind. My husband is a beer drinker, so we are always checking out bars/stores, and thought Monk's was great for both beer & food. I live in NC and The Flying Saucer in Raleigh has a pretty decent beer selection.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:00 AM
bm

In Boston, The Sunset Grill & Tap, hands down. They have something like 400+ beers on the menu, 100 of which are on tap. They have pretty good pub food too.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:06 AM
al

Haven't been in awhile, but Manchester in NYC, on 2nd Ave and 49th, is a good spot for English ale, as is Pete's Tavern on 18th St. & Irving Place.

There's also a bar called DBA on First Ave. around 3rd or 4th St. that has real ale (cask conditioned) but is less attractive since it's frequented by the 'east village hipper than thou' crowd.

If your ever get lost on the road and end up in Bogota, New Jersey, stop in Andy's Corner Bar and ask directions. They too have a fantastic international/micro beer selection, both cask conditioned, on tap and in bottles.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:19 AM
ssurp

Ah, Sunset Grill in Boston brings back fond memories. They're in my top 10. Bartender wasn't that knowledgable with beer styles last time I was there though. Still a great place.
I did go to DBA in Manhattan last year. Decent selection. Crowd was a little trendy. Also a good place. Great to see some of my favorites popping up.
Andy's Corner Bar is an all-time favorite just for the crowd alone. One of my first dates with my wife was there.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Tracey

Can't go to NYC without stopping at McSorley's on 7th Street!

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:30 AM
charles

Brickskeller in DC used to be quite good.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:48 AM
pete

Brickskellar in DC is still good! The food is mediocre, but they have hundreds of beers from around the world in stock. A fun place to go. Beware the 12% alcohol Belgian beers.....

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 04:01 PM
xxx

Portland, Oregon is the microbrew capital so needless to say, there are plenty of good brewery pubs to choose from in that city.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Susan

The Toronado on Haight Street in San Francisco has an impressive 40+ brews on tap, featuring many Belgian brews. It's definitely worth a trip to SF for any beer geek. While in the City you should also try the fine beer at 21st Amendment Cafe and Brewery near the ballpark.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:34 PM
John

Cooter Brown's in New Orleans.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Lori

Glad to hear that the Brick is still going strong in DC!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Judy

Tracey: Ditto McSorelys!!! It is an institution, yes. And I was there eons ago! Judy

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Kim

In Chicago try the Hop Leaf. Cool beer, cooler jukebox.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:55 AM
greg

flying saucer in raleigh is one of the best. They have a wall full of beer taps, I would say around 100, and a selection of beer from around the world. over 200 beers in the whole bar

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 06:56 AM
bubba

Magee Mae's in Austin, TX! I haven't been in years but it used to be a beer lover's heaven. Hello to my old friends Tom & Greg, I know you're out there some where.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Martha

The Map Room in Chicago.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:57 AM
CR NYC

Sunset Grill is a great place...an old college haunt.

I can weigh in on New York:
DBA is a great place (First Avenue and about 3rd Street).

Swift Hibernian Lounge has good, fresh beer and a huge selection. They say good Guinness. 4th and Bowery.

Also downtown, Blind Tiger Ale House, small, wood trim and cozy. Excellent selection. Only for beer geeks. Hudson Street and Perry (or one down from Perry St.).

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Robbenz

I'm no aficianodo, but I thought the Beer Brewery in the Hotel Monte Carlo in Las Vegas was great.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:06 AM
lisa

Bubba - I'm here in Austin. Haven't been to Maggie's in awhile... They remodeled and kept the "older half" (long narrow room and bar) intact. Whew. (The other half houses a bar, dance floor, pool tables, etc. Shudder.) Yes, it's a great place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -