Best Beaches in S. Cal

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Beaches in S. Cal

What's your favorite beach? We're headed to LA today and plan to hit the beach tomorrow. I believe it will be too cold to swim but would like to see surfers and visit quaint shops. We're two parents with our 16 year old daughter and are concerned about safety after having watched the movie "Freedom Writers." Any other suggestions for entertainment? We'll be there Fri (today) leaving Tuesday night at 9pm. Thanks for your help ;-)
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Huntington Beach, though a bit south, is a very nice beach area.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
lvk

The South Bay Beach towns of Manhattan Beach & Hermosa Beach would have what you are looking for. You could rent bikes and ride along the Strand, watching the surfers, volleyball players, skaters, etc. There are also cute shops and outdoor restaurants where you could stop along the way.

www.labikepaths.com/SoBay.html
www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com

Of course, it all depends where you are staying in the vast L.A. area. "Freedom Writers" was set, I believe, in a dodgey area of Long Beach, but I would not avoid Long Beach because of it. Like most cities, you have your great neighborhoods and some not-so-nice ones.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. BTW-We're staying in a hotel by LAX and renting a car. One day will be devoted to Disneyland but the rest is wide open and would love more suggestions!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:36 AM
lvk

I guess it all depends on your interests. Were you planning on doing the "Hollywood" thing? Museums? Shows? Zoo/Aquarium? Hiking/Nature? Shopping? There are lots of options, you just need to help us narrow it down for you.

BTW, Since you are staying near LAX, the South Bay Beaches would be perfect for you. Also, Venice Beach is more urban, but always interesting.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I was at Long Beach a few months ago after being gone a long time. It has really grown up with a lot of newly renovated parts of town. I would go back.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Huntington Beach is a nice place to watch the surfers, Laguna Beach is a gorgeous area of the coast, we loved the beach in the back of the Montage Resort there, very pretty! ***kim***
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM

If you are staying by LAX, I would agree with Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches. Beautiful area and great area to walk or bike.

It always surprises me how watching a movie can influence people's idea of a location. First of all, it's a movie!! That doesn't mean it might not have some factual content but it's still fiction. For example with Freedom Writers, there might be some areas of Long Beach that are not as safe, but why would anyone think that the miles and miles of LA beaches would all be the same?

Anyway PonyUp try the Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo beaches. They are upscale areas. If you want something a little more funky go to Venice Beach. Have a good trip.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback on Long Beach. Do you know anything about the Aquarium of the Pacific?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Sorry Pony, I haven't been there.

Maybe some others?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM
lvk

We are members of the Aquarium, though we haven't been there in almost a year. It is a very nice facility featuring sea life that you will only find in the Pacific. It is also close to the "Pike" restaurant and shopping area.

All, by the way, in one of the the "safer" areas of Long Beach.

From LAX, you could take a drive through the SoBay beach cities, around the Palos Verdes Peninsula, right through Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbors to the Downtown Long Beach area. It's much more pleasant than the 405/710 freeways.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM

If you are staying at LAX, it will be very simple to drive the 3 miles south to "safe" Manhattan Beach. Lots of cute stores, wonderful pier to walk out on, restaurants and bike path.

There is parking at the base of the pier, or parking strutures a couple blocks back. Ivk's links give you a good idea of the area.

When standing on the pier, you just look down and can almost touch the surfers, they are so close. The good waves are on the south side of the pier. Maybe you'll see my son!

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Haven't seen the movie, but I guess I should. I think Freedom Writers was about students at Wilson High, which is actually in a safe neighborhood!

There was some ambivalence about the movie, especially some of the typecasting, but also some pride in the accomplishments.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ALL - We're headed to the airport now and will be at the beach tomorrow enjoying the sun and surf(ers)! Either Manhattan or Huntington. I think we'll have to toss a coin ;-)
And thanks Fodor - this is the second time this site has really come through for us (last spring it was Europe and what a great trip that was). I recommend it to everyone!