Best beaches in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 10:21 AM
Bernice R.

Best beaches in Hawaii?

Give me your opinion please

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:55 AM
David

Some of the best beaches, if not THE best, are on Maui: Wailea, and Makena (big or little).

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:56 AM
David

Some of the best beaches, if not THE best, are on Maui: Wailea, and Makena (big or little).

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:57 AM
David

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 07:02 PM
Cindy

Oh, what a fun question to answer. I haven't been there for five years (sigh), but used to go every year, and found some wonderful beaches. My favorites on Oahu are: Eternity Beach (park at an overlook before you get to Sandy Beach, it's where the blowhole is, and then hike down to Eternity Beach -- it's a tiny beach in a cove, and is just scrumptious, or was five years ago, anyway!); Shark's Cove (a great place to snorkel -- I'm trying to think of the real name, it starts with P, I think, and is on the North Shore, just below where Elvis used to live-- Punahou, maybe?); Maleakahana (at low tide, you can walk across to Goat Island); Kailua and Lanikai (smooth, wide sands, turquoise water, sea turtles); Bellows Beach Park or Waimanalo Bay State Recreation Area (wide sands, turquoise water); also, it's really fun to go around Kaena Point, if it's not closed off to the public. You'd probably need a jeep, and wouldn't want to swim anywhere there because it's so wild, but it's gorgeous.

And on Kauai, we hiked down through these woods to Lanikai Beach. You have to park on the side of the road, and we got a ticket, but it was worth it! It is THE most beautiful (and perhaps most holy) place I have ever been, with this incredible light and huge waves and mist and foam. Also, Polihale, which is as far as you can go in the other direction has these incredibly wide beaches, and a beautiful view of the Na Pali cliffs, but I was scared to swim there because of the big waves. It was really deserted. Oh, yes, I didn't swim at Lanikai either.

I was only on the Big Island one time, but we went over to where the lava had been flowing, and there were some brand new black sand beaches that were just incredibly beautiful, with the contrast of turquoise water, white foam, and black sand. I don't know how to tell you to get there, though.

A lot of these places aren't that good for swimming, but they sure are beautiful! Have fun!

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 07:04 PM
Cindy

Oh, what a fun question to answer. I haven't been there for five years (sigh), but used to go every year, and found some wonderful beaches. My favorites on Oahu are: Eternity Beach (park at an overlook before you get to Sandy Beach, it's where the blowhole is, and then hike down to Eternity Beach -- it's a tiny beach in a cove, and is just scrumptious, or was five years ago, anyway!); Shark's Cove (a great place to snorkel -- I'm trying to think of the real name, it starts with P, I think, and is on the North Shore, just below where Elvis used to live-- Punahou, maybe?); Maleakahana (at low tide, you can walk across to Goat Island); Kailua and Lanikai (smooth, wide sands, turquoise water, sea turtles); Bellows Beach Park or Waimanalo Bay State Recreation Area (wide sands, turquoise water); also, it's really fun to go around Kaena Point, if it's not closed off to the public. You'd probably need a jeep, and wouldn't want to swim anywhere there because it's so wild, but it's gorgeous.

And on Kauai, we hiked down through these woods to Lanikai Beach. You have to park on the side of the road, and we got a ticket, but it was worth it! It is THE most beautiful (and perhaps most holy) place I have ever been, with this incredible light and huge waves and mist and foam. Also, Polihale, which is as far as you can go in the other direction has these incredibly wide beaches, and a beautiful view of the Na Pali cliffs, but I was scared to swim there because of the big waves. It was really deserted. Oh, yes, I didn't swim at Lanikai either.

I was only on the Big Island one time, but we went over to where the lava had been flowing, and there were some brand new black sand beaches that were just incredibly beautiful, with the contrast of turquoise water, white foam, and black sand. I don't know how to tell you to get there, though.

A lot of these places aren't that good for swimming, but they sure are beautiful! Have fun!

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 07:17 PM
Cindy

I gave you the wrong name for the most beautiful place I've ever been. It's Lumahai (in Kauai), not Lanakai. Though Lanakai (in Oahu) is pretty, too! Find it!