Best beach snorkelling?

Jan 14th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Rosemary

Best beach snorkelling?

Planning to go to Hawaii in November. Hope to go to Oahu (briefly) and split the rest of the 2 weeks between Big Island and Kaui.

Can anyone recommend the best beaches in these islands for snorkelling from the beach with calm conditions?

Jan 14th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Debbie

On the Big Island the snorkeling was incredible at the beach in front of the Outrigger Waikoloa. Can't spell the name of the bay but everyone called it A-bay. Tons of fish, coral and even sea turtles right from the beach. It's also in a protected area so the water was very calm. By the way, we stayed at the Outrigger and were delighted.

Jan 14th, 2002, 01:57 PM
xxx

Great beach snorkling at the Sheraton at Kaanapalli on Maui

Jan 15th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Rosemary

Debbie, thanks, sounds great. Can you still get on this beach if you are NOT staying at the Outrigger i.e. is it a public beach?

Jan 15th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Carol

A-Bay is a public beach. Take the road off of 19 to go to the Waikaloa resorts and there's a beach access road. It's very nice. We didn't snorkel there because we found it on our last day and we were already packed to go back home. We loved Kahaluu Beach on the Big Island. The fish are plentiful and the conditions are fairly calm. It's right off of Alii Drive. Get there early, because it gets a little crowded.

Kealakekua Bay is awesome snorkeling too. We went on a snorkel cruise, but I think I read that you can get there from near the Captain Cook monument too.

Jan 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Laurie

F.Y.I.
All beaches in Hawaii are public...even beaches in front of ten million dollar homes.

Jan 15th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Chris

I'm interested in Big Island too. Did anyone ever stay near Hilo or the volcanoes? Also to stay on beach would you recommend Kona or Waikoloa area?

P.S. best snorkeling ever was in Grand Cayman -Smith Cove and 7 Mile beach area.

Jan 15th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Kellie

Best beaches in Kauai in November for snorkeling would be Lydgate (rock protected ocean pool on east coast) and Poipu Beach on south shore.