Best Beach Resort for Young Children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to take a family vacation to Florida with our 3 and 4 year old to some place other than Orlando. Have a large budget but don't like feeling ripped off (and don't like 'stuffy' resorts either). Must be on a nice swimming beach. Prefer something that has the most "Caribbean feel" to it. Amelia Island doesn't look like it has that white sandy beach and blue water we are looking for. Sanibel South Seas resorts sounds interesting but the area in general seems a little cheesy. No nothing about the Florida Keys but see Hawks Cay on Duck Key is highly recommended but judging from photos, there really isn't a beach and the water isn't that clear (just got back from St. John USVI so I admit it is hard to compare now.) Key Largo? Key West? I see there is a nice Marriott in Key Largo but it doesn't appear to have nice beaches and Kids club is for ages 5 and up. Guess Sanibel/Captiva is our best bet? Help!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 04:23 AM

My family has gone to SouthSeas for years and it's not cheezy. It's a fabulous place to take families, with tons of kids, pools, kids activities, etc. We always stay at Lands End. Although the other places are great also Lands End has its own private area in aa cul va sac. There is tons of shelling that your kids would love and at that age they won't be going far in the ocean anyway. You can see Dolphins right outside the main pool area just down by Lands End. There are lots of great things to do and you will have a great time because your kids will find others their age to play with and you will meet their parents. I highly recoommend it but good luck if you're looking at spring break because it books early.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:40 AM
GoTravel

The Boca Raton Resort on the east coast of Florida. Also, Disneys Vero Beach resort may be an option for you.

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:57 AM

You're right about Amelia Island, the beach is FULL of shells. Great for shelling, but not good for bare feet and sand castles.

I can't help you with lower Florida, but we vacation in Destin/Gulf Shores area every year. The beaches are wonderful and the water is emerald green.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:12 AM

IMO, you really won't find a beach in Florida that is anything like the Caribbean. That's not to say there are not some good beaches in Florida, but they're just not as nice. There are some nice beaches in the Naples area, and the water is generally warmer since it's on the Gulf side (which may be a factor depending on when you want to go). Key West is nice, but it's very laid back and I'm not sure if there's enough to keep the young ones occupied. I wasn't thrilled with the beach at Amelia Island.
You may want to check out the Ritz and some of the other resorts in Naples.
As for the east coast, in addition to the other posts, you may want to check out the Breakers in Palm Beach.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Check out the cheeca lodge - had a co-worker take her family there and they loved it. I've also heard (but never been there) that the Moorings on sanibel are good for families.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM

I would reconsider Amelia Island. True, the beach isn't a "Caribbean" beach, but we loved the RC there and there are some fun seafood places in town that are great.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at the Marriott Marco Island. The beaches, pools and activities seem great for young kids.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Hi,

I
was on the Virgin Islands we stayed on st.John but went to see British Virgin Islands too,nothings gonna compare to it in Florida.
I
have a 3 and a half years old and 2 years ago we're going back to Sanibel/Captiva because it's just great for kids and Captiva Island has a Caribbean feel,beach is nice,people are nice and it not that expensive.It is the most expensive place in Florida I believe.I saw the Keys wouldn't take my daugther there.I don't think it's for little ones.
Orsi