Reload this Page >

best beach near Houston

Search

best beach near Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Betsy

best beach near Houston

We are thinking of visiting relatives in Tomball, Tx, either in early August or mid-October. Any suggestions for a decent beach stop for a couple of nights? What about Rockport? Looking for clean beach, swimming in either the beach or nice pool. Kid-friendly! Nice hotel or condo okay. We could go to Galveston but I'm looking for other ideas. Thanks!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Statia

South Padre is supposed to be nice, but that might be too far out of the way. Galveston is your closest bet (other than lakes), but I don't blame you for not wanting to do the beach there.

Maybe someone else might have another suggestion.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:31 AM
What

Best beach near Houston:

Miami beach

All of Texas' beaches are terrible and not worth the time or effort to try and see.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:49 AM
texasgirl

I am not sure where Tomball is, but Port Aransas, near Rockport, is very kid-friendly, has a nice wide beach (brown sand though) and water you can swim in. lots of condos there. Rockport also has a lot of condos and is growing pretty fast; i always think of it as better for retirees and fishing but not sure that's accurate. South Padre is a pretty long drive from everywhere else in Texas.

Don't go to Galveston if you want to get in the water; it's got some interesting historic parts of town but the beach is not very nice.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:01 AM
roy

your kids will not be able to tell the difference in galveston or rockport.Rockport is at leat 4 hours away.I would try the san luis in galveston great hotel,great pool and right acroos from the beach.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Bubba

Not ALL the beaches in Texas are trashy, just MOST of them. South Padre Island is actually quite nice - sandy white beaches, clear water. The rest are pretty much the same - brown water, brown sand, drunken rednecks/trailer trash all over the place. From Tomball, your best bet is probably Galveston. The Hotel Galvez or the San Luis top the list - both have nice pools.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM
sn

South Padre is a good 7 hours from Houston...Galveston is not so bad. The Galvez is beautiful and has an incredible pool, tropical environment/fruity drinks, etc. Besides, the history and shopping are great.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Flipper

How about a lake? Lake Conroe is not far from Tomball.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Betsy

Thanks for all the suggestions. If we don't go to the beach, what are the best hotel swimming pools in southeast Texas? Any ideas?

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on who all is going. Port A and especially Rockport are great for kids. Rockport is geared more for young and old and would be boring to teens. It's very quaint and clean. Port A is good for all ages but more "fun" and more crowded. Galveston is probably best for all around fun with lots more to do - but you won't necessarily get the lazy, quaint feeling like you would in the other spots. I live near Tomball (outside Houston) myself and am planning a spring break trip to Galveston just because there's such a huge variety of places to go and things to do that I normally don't do on day-trips or short weekends. Good luck.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I agree withe the beach opinions. I was in Galveston last year, the beaches are best for collecting shellsn. Hotel Galvez is a great place to stay with a real nice pool.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM
emd

uh, this question was asked in 2002. I think Betsy has probably come and gone.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
emd

although that being said, Pasadena TX has a great beach, and I hear that they even have cruise ships going in and out of there now.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:23 AM

Good point, emd, regarding Betsy having come and gone. But thanks for keeping this alive since we are currently considering Galveston as a place to warm up this April!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
emd

ok, well, you should know i was kidding about Pasadena then. don't go there. it's the ship channel port area, no beach.