Reload this Page >

Best beach lodging on CA coast for $$?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Deblynn

Any suggestions for the best beach lodging along the Calif coast for the best price? Was planning on San Diego, but now unsure as we can't find good lodging for under $200 per night somewhere near the beach. Will change plans if I can get some suggestions of any good places to stay along the beach for a good price!! Thanks

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM
GP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Deblynn

I might be able to help. I have stayed at many places between Crescent City and San Diego
Please define "somewhere near the beach"
Also where along the 1000 mile long coastline.

Have Fun
GP
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Besides where -- when? Makes a big difference. Also which day(s) of the week - also significant difference.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM
TahitiTams

Deblynn..
You have posted numerous posts for you and your 2 teenage boys here and I gave you a Hotel in La Jolla in August for $169 a night and I don't understand why you keep on asking about SD? So many of us here have tried to help and I have gone over your posts and you seemed to know SD pretty well and if you think that you are going to get a hotel in the summer right on the beach anywhere around Southern California for under $200 in August right on the beach along with Del Mar Racing season..you are dreaming!
You have 2 boys whom I assume like to play in the ocean and if you get further North than Santa Barbara the ocean will be to cold unless you have a wetsuit..
Hotel La Jolla is still available in August, when I responded to one of your many post it was at $169 with sweeping ocean views but it has gone up to $191.00 and 2-3 short blocks to one of the best beaches in the county and that included breakfast!
With all your postings here you are going to miss the boat..

Old May 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM

After TahitiTam's post I went and looked - you have asked this over and over. Several threads asking for SD/coastal hotels w/ your 2 sons going back a few months.

Instead of re-posting all the time it would have been better to top one of your old threads. But I wouldn't bother now - you have received more than enough info already . . . .
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM

LagunaRiviera.com
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Deblynn

Tahitatams;
Hotel LaJolla was not an option for my husband as we have stayed there and been very unhappy with it, (not clean) and their service. Would like to be within walking distance to the ocean. Have found some lodging on different websites, but then called to make the reservation, only to find it was booked, or that rate was really not available! So what is the big deal? Isn't that was this forum is for, to find information?? Just thought someone else besides a couple of frequent posters would give some insight. Why do you keep responding if it is so annoying, as I have the information you gave.

GP;
We would be willing to go anywhere along the ocean, someplace warm preferably. We live in Utah and want to do a beach vacation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Deblynn

Old May 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Since you're looking for a beach vacation, how about going to Florida instead of California??
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
GP

Deblynn

Central Coast Pismo Beach north to Cambria
Try http://www.cayucosshorelineinn.com/

Have fun
GP
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
TahitiTams

Deblynn..
First of all if you didn't post several different threads of the same thing over and over... others support my claim..read further..
We wish you only the best...I think we all have tried to give you solid advice and then when we call you on it, you turn it around that it is our fault? Come on..
Hotel La Jolla is not dirty and it is a 4 star Hotel, 2-3 blocks from the beach, which is walking distance from the LJ Shores and the BW Inn in LJ is $199 in August...Your past threads have not stated you stayed at the Hotel LJ..
Hey, for 4 people with sweeping ocean views in August in LJ with a free breakfast for under $200 is such a deal... What don't you get?
I live here and know it quite well and the way things are going for you most Hotels/Motels are already booked past Labor Day..
So, I would suggest somewhere else where you can afford to take a vacation..
It took alot of time to get websites and etc. for you and what others do and I just don't think you have any right to be so flippant..
I think you need to stay in Utah and enjoy the beauty there..

Old May 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM

I agree with the Pismo Beach idea someone else gave, fun beaches and reasonable rates and theres I think a couple Bestwesterns there just North of the Pismo town that looked exceptionally nice, one was I think the Cliffs. I stayed at the SeaCliff "resort" right next to a Marie Calendars with a few steps down a cliff I was on a beautiful beach and could walk to the Pismo pier and shops. Was not a typical "resort" but was such a beautiful beach I didn't care. San Diego is over-priced and crowded, you'd probably enjoy the trip to Pismo as well, stop by Hearst Castle in Cambria and see how the rich folk lived, its really quite something. Cambria is a bit cooler for the beach 'tho. Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM

I'd go to Pismo Beach too - typical California beach town, but less expensive that San Diego in the summer time. The water will be chilly, so don't expect to lounge around for hours in the water, but it is great for short jaunts into the water. And hanging out on the beach is always fun.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM
trippinkpj

Keep in mind: almost any beach town will be expensive for the most part in july/ august and especially the weekends. Most places will be double or triple (I've seen worse!) in that time/ weekend vs. weekday winter. Sad but true. A hint is go a little inland. Like is Pismo Beach is too expensive for you (or booked up)on a summer weekend, try Arroyo Grande. We did that a couple of weekends, and paid $80.- vs. $150.- plus in Pismo.

Old May 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Deblynn

GP and others;
Will definitely consider the Pismo Beach area. Has been 15 years since we've been to that area. I appreciate all your advice. Thanks!

TahitiTams;
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the advice and the time people take to answer questions in this forum. Not everyone knows exactly how the Fodor forum works, and I posted the same question twice, as I couldn't locate my first postings with response. I was only trying to gather information from several first hand experiences of fodorites. Secondly, we HAVE stayed at Hotel Lajolla, about 5 years ago and was extremely disappointed! Found mold in our bathroom, and someone had thrown up in our room and the carpet had not been properly cleaned and it smelled horribly. They did not offer to change our room, only said we could have some deoderizer sprayed on the carpet. Anyhow, You say you live in San Diego, but how many of these hotels have you actually stayed in, or have you just observed from the outside? Unless you have personal experience as a guest in a particular hotel, I don't think you have the big picture! So many hotels are not what they seem from appearance only! Anyway, why is this such a big deal to you?? Do you have nothing better to do than to keep reposting to my response?

Anyway, thanks again to all of you that posted your suggestions!
Deblynn

Old May 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
TahitiTams

Deblynn..
I have been posting here for along time and it is insulting to alot of us who respond to your questions when you post the same question but in a different format week after week and I see you have gone back to even Feb 12th..
I didn't realize I was posting to the same person until after the 4th post came up and then I looked and saw it was you..
I live in La Jolla and I know it inside and out as well as most of San Diego.. when I suggest a Hotel for this forum it is from experience...
I suggest you go through all your repeat posts so you can see what I and others get tired of seeing the same post but worded just a little different.
Either figure it out on your own or top your post that you want the most response from..
Everyone else gets it..
It's summer, it's expensive and your not going to find anything for under $200 for 4 people...
Pismo Beach is running around $250 a night for a 2-3 star hotel and your kids really won't be able to enjoy the beach..
If you booked when you started your myriad of the same posts in February, you would have a decent Hotel on the beach or close to it in July, August or September for under $200..
This is a great forum so please be respectful...

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM

deblynn: "I posted the same question twice"

Uh huh - seven and counting. You have started seven threads w/ exactly or almost exactly the same question.

No one would mind one or two similar threads (or even identical ones). But seven of them is overkill and you have waaaaaay more than enough info to make a decision.
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Neopolitan

I found this wonderful advice from what must be an expert on San Diego beach lodging:
> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
We go to the San Diego area often. We love the LaJolla area, for its small European village feel, wonderful restaurants, and close proximity to the ocean. We love Sea Lodge, which is right on the beach. It that's too pricey, we have stayed many times @ the Best Western Inn by the Sea. It doesn't get great reviews, but we are very picky and we've always liked this motel when on a budget. It is within walking distance to the ocean, right in the village, so walking distance to many restaurants and shopping, which is a plus because of the parking problem! We have found it to be quite easy to access the freeway from LaJolla which doesn't take long to get anywhere.
We have also stayed at the Catamaran Resort down in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego. Very close to the ocean, the resort was nice,but we don't care for the area, kinda seedy with alot of transients on the beach area. People selling drugs right on Pacific Beach. Another area you might want to consider is the Marriott or Hyatt near SeaPort Village. It is right on the bay, not to be confused with the beautiful areas of ocean just a little north.
> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Recognize that? You are the author! And you posted this in response to another person's question back in August of 2005. Now I'm trying to figure out what you're asking for here when you seem to already be an expert on the subject.

Old May 5th, 2006, 07:24 PM
trippinkpj

That is amazing Neo, LOL!

Old May 6th, 2006, 09:30 AM
TahitiTams

Thanks so much Janisj, Neopolitan and trippinkpj!!!
Best to you all,
TahitiTams

Old May 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Neopolitan

No comment, Deblynn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -