Best Autumn places?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:11 PM
nick

Best Autumn places?

I've never been to New England in the fall; am going this year. Any recommendations for the very best area(s) for unbelievaable colors? Grat places to stay? Is north, south, or central part of either state the best from which to tour? Thanks!!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
carol

we started in newport(rhode island) last october and spent 3 nights there and then drove up to maine. the colors on the trip up there were magnificent and maine itself was ablaze in beautiful colors. we stayed in ogunquit, maine, and it is a charming city in southern maine with wonderful restaurants. we made day trips from there and my favorite of the small towns was kennebunkport. i had done some research and knew i wanted to be on the coast, so that's we we did not go to vermont, although i heard it is also beautiful. a few years ago, we had done the mystic area in connecticut and the colors there were also breath- taking. we started and ended our trip in boston and if you have not been there, it would be well worth it to spend several days there.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
Howard

Definitely put Vermont and the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts at the top of your list.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Dawn

Bershires in Massachusetts!!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Dawn

Oops...mispelled Berkshires!!! Sorry.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:58 AM
dougd

The Green Mountains of Vermont, The White Mountains of New Hampshire, the Berkshires of Mass, The Litchfield hills of Northwest Ct. The central Mountains of Maine, even parts of Rhode island. No matter where you go in New England, you will see spectacular colors. My choices would be Vermont or New Hampshire. There are tiny mountain villages in New England that are unforgettably scenic in the fall. Surf the web for farmhouse b&b's. Just realize the further north you go, the earlier the foliage changes.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:19 PM
love NH

GO to the Mount Washington Valley, New Hampshire. North Conway is a great town with lots of sightseeing/hiking around... ENJOY! It's beautiful--

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:35 PM
KenCT

You've asked too many questions to answer in a short space, but it's smart to start planning early.

The USDA Forest Service has a terrific website <www.fs.fed.us/news/fallcolors/> If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll find links to all sorts of general information and regional resources.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:19 PM
skip

I AGREE WITH SOME OF THE OTHER VIEWS. THE BERKSHIRES NEAR STOCKBRIDGE AND VERMONT ARE SPECTACULAR. CHECK WITH THE FOILAGE HOTLINES OF EACH STATE. THEY WILL UPDATE YOU ON PEAK OR OFF PEAK CONDITIONS.