Reload this Page >

Berthoud Pass, CO - SCARY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Sue

In my research on Winter Park as a ski destination, many mention that in getting there from Denver, Berthoud Pass is "scary as hell". Do I need to worry? Are there frequent accidents on this road? Is it as dangerous as they imply? Please help as I am getting a little nervous.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Kay

We've driven it once or twice a ski season for the last 10 years. It is a mountain pass, so you drive up/down switchbacks. It's no fun to drive in ice and snow, but what road is? We've never seen an accident. We drive it during daylight only. If it has been storming, we wait until 9 am or so to give the snowplows a chance to get over the road. You drive slow, in low gear, and bring an ice scraper (you can get one from the rental car folks or the local stores).

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:44 PM
charles

Yes, it is scary, in terms of the fact that driving over it will scare you. But it doesn't matter, since you shouldn't go to winter park in any case. There are innumerable mountains which are better in Colorado. The only possible reason for skiing winter park is some of the double blacks. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't go there. Keystone and Copper are just as close to Denver.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:12 PM
gb

Let's not overdo it. High mountain passes are generally scary to most flatlanders. But, Berthoud is certainly not the worse. Parts of the pass are three lanes. It's curvy and steep, but the exposure is not that bad in comparison to other passes. If it is icy or snowy, it feels more unstable. But, it is no more accident prone, than any other mountain road. Just take your time, don't let anyone rush you, and you will be fine. When the road is bad, the highway patrol will close it.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:47 AM
mms

Have driven Berthoud many, many times. It isn't great fun in a blizzard or late at night - But I would take it any time over traveling any longer on awful, bumber-to-bumper I-70 to get to the other ski areas. Our family always breathes a sigh of relief when we can finally exit I-70 and enjoy the peaceful, and beautiful drive over Berthoud pass. -- And what's this about Winter Park??? Because of redevelopment the past few years - parking has been a pain and the lower lift lines LONG - But before the construction and hopefully after - what a great ski area! Most visitors are local Coloradoans and we love our ski area we can drive to -from home and back in one day!!!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Sue

Thanks for the info. Not sure I feel any better. Yes, I am a "flatlander" from south Georgia & I've never skiied before - not only that, I've never even seen more than 3 inches of snow.
I chose WP after much research because of no "glitz", family orientation, proximity to major airport, good beginner program, & other activities such as tubing, dogsled rides, etc.
I plan to use Home James & "leave the driving to them." Hope I have made the wise choice, although reservations not made yet!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:51 AM
charles

I've always found the traffic over Berthoud pass to be worse than I-70. (Which is awful to begin with on weekends).

SO many people think winter park is easier, and they all get off. Driven with no traffic, which is when I prefer (ie 9 am on a tuesday) from Congress park it takes me an hour to winter park, an hour to Keystone, an hour to A-Basin and an hour and fifteen to Copper. No difference.

WHat is different is the quality of the mountain - Winter Park is distinctly inferior in almost everything but some of the really hard blacks. Even for those, I prefer A-Basin or the back of Copper. Winter Park has generally worse snow and short runs, especially on the winter park side (polers paradise - if I wanted to ski cross country I would). MAry Jane is somewhat better, but still weak. Basically, the only thing I like about Winter Park is how many people have delusions about it and go there, thus holding down lift lines at other places.

If you are a beginner, I wouldn't worry to much about most of the above. I still wouldn't go to Winter Park from out of state, however. Go to Steamboat instead.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:27 AM
Kay

As a beginner, anywhere you go will be fun. As you will be a passenger in the van, just enjoy the scenery. Once in WP you will get to know the school bus schedule well.

Still, don't schedule your flights too early or too late. Don't plan to arrive just in time to catch the last van of the day from the airport. Bad weather in Denver could delay your arrival and you would be stuck at DIA. Similarly, schedule a return flight late enough in the day that you don't have to leave WP at 5 am. and be the first vehicle over the pass in the morning after a snow.

I'm here in GA too, so I know you can handle it. Let me know if your family needs to borrow any ski clothes.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:26 PM
gb

Winter Park is no glitz compared to places like Aspen and Vail. But, any area in Colorado ( if snow conditions are good), is great to ski. Each area has its pros and cons. Winter Park has great slopes,and so do other areas. If you are taking a shuttle, then there is no reason to be worried about the road. Your driver has plenty of experience. Not much is in walking distance from the ski area. However, in Colorado, for the most part you need a car. And in Winter Park, this is especially true. For the most part, the other outdoor activities, as tubing are not in walking distance from the ski area. For fun, another transportation consideration is the ski train from downtown Denver to Winter Park 9if you want to avoid the roads). It's a little expensive, and slower than a drive, but the scenery is gorgeous and most people enjoy the ride. Honestly, if the snow is good and the sun is out, you can't go wrong skiing at any major area. Just the thought of this, makes me want to wax my skis tonight. By the way, you can get some discount ski tickets at Denver King Soopers and Safeway grocery stores.You didn't say what month you were going? After the 1st of the year is usually better than early season.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:00 PM
charles

The above advice is very good. That said, I still think steamboat would be better for someone coming from Georgia. Winter Park, in addition to its other flaws, is very geared to Denver Day trippers.

Doesn't Christy Sports also sell discount tix?

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:07 AM
shandra

A quick question about the discount tickets as we are heading to Winter Park for Christmas. Can you give me the location of one of the stores that sells the discount tickets? Preferably one that we could stop at that is off of the Interstate?
Thanks!

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 06:36 PM
Kay

We usually stop at the King Sooper on the west side of Denver along the interstate. The name of the exit escapes me, but you can probably find it at www.skifree.org. It's the same exit as the WalMart. We buy there because of its great hours and we can pick up food and other supplies. You can find the store's phone listing online to check the hours the ticket desk is open if you are arriving really early or late. In addition to selling just discount lift tickets, last year we bought really discounted lift/lesson combination tickets there. We've never had a problem returning unused tickets at WP for a cash refund when a newbie got sick, scared, injured, etc.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 05:06 PM
gb

There are King Soopers grovery stores throughout the city. I think the one at 34th and Youngfield is the closest to I-70 on the way west out of Denver. Also, one at 38th and Sheridan. I think Christy Sports, and Breeze Ski Rentals also sells discount tickets, but I don't know how they compare in price.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:51 PM
lenleigh

I would definitly agree that I would skip Winter Park.Lived here since 1989 and I dont even like going there.I would prefer the nicer(although more crowded)and more exciting ski resorts any day.

Breckenridge and Keystone are so close to each other and both have good runs.Keystone has night skiing and Breckenridge has a fun town with pretty much all the same things to do as Winter Park.

Only reason why I would go to Winter Park is if I take the Ski Train and stay over a night.Otherwise its just a little too boring.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Mindy

I agree with your decision both on Winter Park as a family, no-frills ski area and your decision to take Home James. Winter Park is GREAT for beginners - nice WIDE slopes, great for lessons and for kids. We have never driven the Berthoud pass ourselves. We always take Home James from the airport. They are GREAT! I don't think you will regret your decision at all.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:48 PM
Rochelle

I'm another "flatlander" -- from NYC. We get more snow than Georgia, of course, and I've been skiing (Killington mostly) for years. I've also skied out West a few times -- Aspen, Breckenridge, Keystone, Jackson Hole. Because I'm a perpetual "beginner," I found Keystone to be the "friendliest" mountain -- excellent beginner and intermediate trails. Keystone is kid friendly and there's lots of other winter activites...cross-country skiing, ice skating, snowmobiling, etc.