Bernadette is back, right? (NYC)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that Bernadette Peters is all well now and back staring in Gypsy. Since she's performing at the Tony's on Sunday night, I'm assuming she's all well, right?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:44 AM

She might be back but she cannot save that awful production. We saw the show on 5/26 and it was very weak. No energy, no soul.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

hmmmmm...maybe it's when Bernadette was under the weather. It's gotten fabulous reviews not just from the critics but from the audiences as well. I guess time will tell how good this revival is.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:20 PM

petlover, I'm curious which reviewers you are referring to. Although I know the NYTimes raved about Miss Peters, I thought their overall review of the production was rather lukewarm. And althought I didn't see a lot of other reviews, I had the impression they were rather mixed, mainly focusing only on her performance as there wasn't much else to be terribly favorable about -- oh, other than the young woman who plays Louise.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Patrick,
Besides NY Times, I can remember reading one in "talkinbroadway" and another in: http://www.curtainup.com/gypsyny.html but mostly I've heard good things from friends who have seen the play. Although, Bernadette isn't Ethel Merman, I've heard she does a terrific job and is well cast for her role; as is the role of Louise. I guess time will tell based on ticket sales.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM

TimeOut NY has not given Gypsy a favorable review. I thought that the only NY paper that was behind Gypsy was NY Times and quite frankly, I don't know why. The show still sells out every night but that will change very soon.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Locally, Clive Barnes of the NY Post, Dennis Cunnigham of NY1, John Heilpern of The New York Observer, and John Simon of New York Magazine have all given what I would consider favorable reviews of Gypsy.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:18 AM

We saw Gypsy and loved it. Bernadette, John Dossett, and Tammy Blanchard (all of whom have been nominated for Tonys) were magnificent. Everyone else was wonderful as well, particularly all the kids.

The show is full of showstopper numbers and, unlike most musicals, this one has an interesting and well developed story.

I haven't read any reviews, but enjoyed it thoroughly, and plan to see it again.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:01 AM

For the record:
1. The show did get mostly favorable reviews.
2. It has been playing to 90-95% capacity.
3. Bernadette Peters was ailing for awhile, and it obviously would have an affect on her performance at times. (I hope she's all recovered, as we are seeing the show tomorrow afternoon!)
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Howard, please report back as to how you enjoyed the show. I'm so surprised to read IgorVodov's posting that "it was weak". From those that I've talked to who have seen the show, they really enjoyed it! I'm finding that good seats are getting harder to come by.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:24 PM

We saw Gypsy this afternoon and love it. Bernadette Peters was outstanding, as was Tammy Blanchett who plays the title role. Ms. Peters really brings a different and added dimension to the role than her predecessors did...and it works! Go see it and enjoy an excellent show!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM

"Dimension" is a terrific description, Howard!

While I have admired Bernadette Peters for many years, I thought her, perhaps, a bit "delicate" for Mama Rose. She wasn't!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:04 PM

Thanks Howard...confirms everything that I've also heard. I can't imagine anything that Bernadette Peters is in as being describes as "weak"!! I'm glad you enjoyed your show.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:51 AM

She performed at the Tony's last night and received a standing ovation. Any throat problems appear to be cured, she sounded fantastic!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:36 AM

YEs, I agree! Saw her last PM on the Tony's and she was great. Loved the actor from Man of La Mancha who sang "Impossible Dream". Wow.

I may have to try for Gypsy tix now too...