Bermuda Honeymoon Helllppppp!!!

Dec 13th, 2000, 08:25 AM
Maria & Chris

Bermuda Honeymoon Helllppppp!!!

Hi all!

Well, all the Fodorites were so very helpful last year as we were planning a trip to Germany-and just days before I was surprised with a marriage proposal! Now, we are in the midst of planning our Honeymoon for June 2001 and we need your wonderful suggestions again...

Our qualifications:
A relatively short trip from Washington, DC (no more than 3-4 hours)
A place where we can relax!! Where we won't feel like we are missing out on a day of site-seeing if we feel like lounging on the beach all day.
A resort that caters to Honeymooners (we are going to use it while we can!!) but, not an all-inclusive or, large chain hotel.

Suggestions?!?!?! We were looking very seriously at The Reefs in Bermuda but, they are booked the month of June. :0(

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks-in advance!

-Maria

Dec 13th, 2000, 08:39 AM
Lori

I love Bermuda and highly recommend it as a honeymoon spot. If the Reefs is booked (and it seems that it always is), try the Harmony Club. I have stayed there 5 times and love it. It is an all inclusive -room, meals, and drinks -which can add up- and a scooter for two. It is also a couples only resort which makes it really nice for a getaway. The only downside is that it is not directly on the beach, but you have access to the beach at the Stonington Beach Club which is very nice. With the scooter it never really mattered much to me, and the Stonington is an easy hop away (literaly around the bend). The rooms are decorated in the Queen Anne style and are rather large. The food in the restaurant is very good and they do offer a dine-around. The staff was extremely nice. The hotel also has beautiful gardens which I understand are a stop on the island tours.

Dec 13th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Daniel Williams

HI

Have you considered the Florida Keys?

If you want more information on Bermuda, despite the island's being far from the Caribbean, there is an entry for it on fodor's Caribbean subheading (I suppose for lack of anywhere else to put it). More travellers might know about Bermuda there than here.

DAN.

Dec 13th, 2000, 09:20 AM
jim

Having stayed there, I'd recommend the Stonington. It's not too big, the food is good (by Bermuda standards) and the staff is nice.
Also, Bermuda in June is probably a good idea, since it isn't as far south as the most resorts, so it's not quite so hot and sticky. Two warnings:
1. There aren't many travel bargains in Bermuda; it's expensive, and so is the Stonington.
2. There's not much nightlife there, either (the Stonington is especially quiet). But if it's your honeymoon, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Dec 13th, 2000, 09:31 AM
PARROT MOM

For the most definitive info on Bermuda go to
http://www.keyguide.com/cgi-local/index.cgi this is the site of the BOP (Bermuda Obsessed People).. there isn't anything they don't know and can't tell you..

Dec 13th, 2000, 11:27 AM
Maria

Love the advice!! Keep it coming-Thanks!

Dec 13th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Kristi

We went to Bermuda on our honeymoon in late June/early July 1997. Sounds like we had many of the same requirements you do, and after extensive hotel research, we ended up staying at the Elbow Beach. Most importantly, it is the only one of the good hotels right on the beach. Others you have to take a shuttle to, etc. They have lots of packages that make things more affordable -- I think we ended up with the "Romance" package which gave us breakfast every day, a dinner, a scooter rental (although you really need it the whole time you're there), and some other freebies. True, it is a large resort. But on our honeymoon we enjoyed everything being easy, and took the opportunity to relax. While it is expensive that time of year, the weather was beautiful and we had a great time. The other honeymoon spot we considered was Nevis. There's a pretty new Four Seasons there that is supposed to be spectacular. That would have been a bit more of a splurge, although summer is off season there (so it might have been HOT!). Plus there's absolutely nothing other than the beach on Nevis.

FYI -- we're also in the DC area and our direct flight from BWI was only 1 1/2 hours. Unfortunately it leaft early in the morning after the wedding. have a great time and congratulations!

Dec 14th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Maria

To the top!

All of these places sound sooo wonderful...

I do agree with the issue of the early flights to Bermuda. We are getting married on a Friday evening and thought we'd wait to fly out Sunday morning-rather than be rushed for Saturday.

Is Elbow on the "south beach"? (I have been hearing the southern beach of Bermuda is the "place to be" on Bermuda...

Keep the suggestions flowing-Thanks!

Dec 14th, 2000, 07:26 AM
penny

Elbow Beach is on South Road on Elbow beach-it is a beautiful spance of beach, the private part with the hotel, walk a little further and the public part, and then the private Coral Beach. If you want to explore the other beautiful beaches, this is the South Road area, where you will find vistas overlooking Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe Beach and others. You can be alone (alomst) at Astwood Cove, Warick and others. Horseshoe is the biggest, and most famous, it gets very busy as when the cruise ships are in . This is a wonderful road to explore and has many beaches. Do go to the site Parrot Mom suggested-ask about the beaches. i am sure Judy will show you some. Enjoy

Dec 14th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Maria