Search

Beggers in San Fran

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 07:02 AM
M

Beggers in San Fran

I'm about to take my second trip to San Francisco. My first was brief and accompanied by my husband. I've travelled all over the United States and Europe and I have never been so hit up by beggers in my life as I was in San Francisco. On literally every street corner I was hit up by beggers for money. I have a "Don't Feed the Bears" policy so I don't give money, I usually say, "sorry" and pass on by. But some are pretty aggressive. I was approached within a minute outside my hotel while stepping out to a cab. While I was walking with my husband on a quiet street (Embarcadero on a Sunday when the shops were closed) we were persued at a brisk pace until we ducked into McDonalds on California street to get away from a begger. It may not be PC, but fankly I'm not interested in a discussion about how beggers got that way, their poor upbrinings, their psychology or whatever, I'm concerned about my safety, not their plight at the moment, quite frankly. They scare me. On this trip I will be alone. What do I do, carry pepper spray, withdraw an extra $100 in $1 bills to ensure my safely? Any tips on how to handle these situations?

Old May 31st, 2001, 07:17 AM
John

While I know SF has a definite problem with homeless people, I never felt threatened either when I lived in SF (87-91) or visited since. Maybe you should just take cabs when you're going more than a few blocks? This would keep you from having to deal with this uncomfortable issue. (As for safety, I think it's quite uncommon for homeless people to physically assault a person passing by. It's just uncomfortable being asked for money in the first place!)

Enjoy your visit to San Francisco. Homeless issues aside, it's a great city.

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:26 AM
Vickie

As anyone who's lived in NYC will advise you regarding interpersonal issues out on the streets, don't make eye contact with them, look purposeful and keep moving past them at a steady pace, if you're alone keep a moderately serious look on your face, completely ignore them if they speak to you, don't even say anything like 'sorry' or 'no thanks'.
No, don't bring money to give them to 'insure' your safety.
I've lived on the east coast and visited SF lots of times and have never been pestered when using these techniques.

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:44 AM
dougd

I agree about SF. Of all the cities I've been to, SF seems to have the most panhandlers per capita, and the most agressive. I've wondered what their reaction would be if people gave them granola bars, bagels, etc instead of cash. I have great sympathy for the homeless, but the ones in SF seem to have a rougher edge. On the other hand, this is perhaps the most beutiful city in the US.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:20 AM
rheianne

i've never had the amount of trouble from panhandlers that you've described. it may be because they see you leaving hotels, they figure you're tourists and will be easier prey. i agree with vicki, keep a serious look on your face, continue with any conversation you may be having with your companion, if they walk in front of you, veer around without breaking speed, stay on pace, and don't respond, unless followed and asked a second time. i've found that if they persist, a firm, non-smiling "no" will suffice. just make sure you don't pay them much attention or show an ounce of indecision, that only encourages aggressiveness since they think you only need a little push to reach for your wallet.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:32 AM
Jane

M-
I love SF and know that homelessness is a huge issue there. Even the tactics posted here may not work- although it's probably the best advice that can be given. A friend of mine went to SF two years ago with her husband. A homeless person asked them for money but they kept right on walking, ignoring him as advised on these postings. The homeless man proceeded to follow them, and when he couldn't get their attention, spat at my friend's husband. This happened in broad daylight near Ghiradelli (sp?) Sq. Follow common sense- don't walk alone at night, perhaps take more cabs than usual, and stay on streets with lots of other pedestrians. But you shouldn't let this ruin your trip. Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

Old May 31st, 2001, 01:45 PM
Keith

Actually, I've always had good luck just saying "Sorry" while walking past. My wife does the same, and she's never had a problem. I've seen panhandlers follow people who ignore them, presumably just to get a rise out of them.

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:22 PM
Carol

About 5 years ago I was walking along the Wharf - near Ghiarardelli Square (as a tourist). Saw a homeless person, reached into my pocket and gave the wheelchair-bound, woman all the change in my pockets. Went into a shop on the next block and when I came out she was outside and "screaming" at me that I was such a b**ch and demanded more money!!!

Needless to say, this changed my approach to generosity when in SF. I can truly understand your issues when in SF. Good Luck!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:36 AM
Oaktown Traveler

M:

It would be "wrong" for me to not comment about your derogatory phrase: "Don't Feed the Bears" for those humans who are down on there "luck".

I "get" your overall concern but feel it not necessary to refer to human beings as animals in this manner.
We are all in need of some compassion. That does not involve parting with your money. It does mean parting with some very negative ideas that may keep you in more fear than is warranted.
I hope that you "get" my overall concern for YOU and your attitude which may not be your best travel accessory for your trip to San Francisco.

Happy Travels
Oaktown

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:23 AM
L

M, your concerns about beggars in SF are right on. They indeed can be almost ferocious in their aggressive actions. Your best strategy is to discuss the bad streets and locations with your concierge, and stay off of them, especially at night and eraly mornings. Market Street, and south of Market, for example, can be terrible ... with some blaocks loaded with street people. Parks and sqaures are a problem too. You'll just need to talk with your hotel and other people there. By all means, do not get in the habit of handing out money on the street ... and you do not need to say anything to anyone. Just walk on by and leave the area. SF is terrific, but the street folks are a real problem, and in SF it dwarfs anything I've ever seen in NYC, DC, Philly or Baltimore. Ciao

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:18 PM
kam

We were followed by a middle aged woman who was screaming obscenities--and I mean real obscenities-- at the top of her lungs down about 2 blocks of Wisconsin Ave in Georgetown, D.C. The locals know her name and just ignore her. I was also purposely pushed into the street in New York. Never had that problem here! I used to stop at a light off the Ventura Fwy at Coldwater Canyon and chat with the homeless woman on the corner and her dog. She never once asked me for money, though she clearly would have appreciated it. I have seen locals give a homeless man cans of dog food for his little dog at the corner of Van Ness and McAllister near the SF Opera Bldg. Yes, he has a hat out, but he never asks for money and the dog is well cared for and wrapped up in a blanket with him on cold nights. If you simply walk past them with a sorry and a look like "I've heard it all before (which we have) there should be no problem. M, maybe your body language says something. And, I agree the "Don't feed the bears" is totally inappropriate when referring to the homeless of SF. Yes, they are dirty and bothersome and strung out or drunk, but bears they are not! Is the expression "there but for God's grace goes you or I"??

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:09 PM
JJJ

100% spot on, kam.
While I never give money to the homeless because it is well documented that the majority of this money goes to alcohol or drugs or some non-health-maintenance concern, at the same time each one of us has a duty, IMO, to respect the rights of other humans to the extent that they allow this (Timothy McVeigh controversies aside).

I try to remain cognizant at all times of the fact that I am blessed with countless graces, including the opportunity to live in this country, with a good job, physical and mental health, etc etc.
Schizophrenia can emerge out of nowhere, head injuries can leave one functional but very impaired, tragedy can befall any one of us.
"But for the grace of God go I" is a quote worth repeating.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:46 PM
Al

Typical LIBERAL response! They are, quite simply, BUMS and WORSE than Bears!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:57 PM
Melissa

I wouldn't have posted, but I sense a twinge of guilt in your message.

A while back, 60 minutes did a short story on homelessness. They asked homeless people if they thought they had THEMSELVES to blame for their plight, or if it was society's fault. 9 out of 10 admitted that they were homeless of their own doing, due to drugs or alcohol or other problems. And the 10th one who said "Society" even waffled on her answer, kind of pointing the responsibility back to herself.

Granted, MANY homeless in America are not totally to blame for their predicament, but we're fortunate to have many social service programs to help such people out. other countries are not so lucky.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:22 PM
frank

Yes, and many of the homeless are not capable of taking advantage of any help tht might be out there. For those of use who are mentally healthy it's easy, for them it's not.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:24 PM
sharon

It is best to never give money to the homeless. That said, I do give leftovers from a meal I have just enjoyed. Next time you walk out of a restaurant with leftovers in your hand that you are not likely to eat, think about kindly sharing them with a homeless person who does not threaten you. If he/she does not want the food, then go on your way resting in the knowledge that you have attempted to be respectful and caring to another human being. Their human right to food is just that - a human right. I encourage you to be human and respectful of that right.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:51 PM
cecilia

Iam a lurker,but must post concerning this. How can anyone call fellow human beings bears? How hurtful is that? Shame on you, M

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 09:31 PM
Yukyuk

Pepper spray? Carrying $100 in one-dollar bills? Come on, guys, this is a troll.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Rebecca

I am a 21 year old female and have been to SF twice last year. I went with two guy friends. We were too young to rent a car, so we took cabs and the buses everywhere. I really got a feel for the city for the two weeks that I was there, much more than my own (Seattle). We had many experiences with homeless. I just smiled and said some excuse..."just used my last change for the bus," or just said, "no, sorry." I didn't have any problems at all. You shouldn't be afraid of them-don't let them intimidate you. I mean, just be wise-don't walk down alleys alone at night by yourself. They are people just like us, just less fortunate. We had one guy that asked us EVERY TIME we were at Fishermans Wharf for spare change (total of 5 or 6 times I think). He had rolls of change in his pockets, and tons of bills (he had a rip in his jacket and I saw a peak at all the $money$ he had). I really got annoyed after the 3rd time he asked us and confronted him. Anyway, just use your head and don't go anywhere you don't feel comfortable being.