Reload this Page >

Been There, Done That, Don't Bother -- Lancaster, PA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Karen

Don't bother to visit Lancaster, Pennsylvania to experience Amish culture. The place is now a tourist trap of the first order. They have a few huge family-style restaurants serving mediocre preparations of alleged Amish specialties. There are scores of places (probably non-Amish posing as Amish) selling all kinds of pointless crafts. You wander around looking in the stores, eat some food, and go home. Worst of all is that the whole point is really just a chance to gawk at people who are different from most of us. "Wow, how can they stand the heat in those clothes?" etc.

Well, I'll look at the bright side. At least it isn't a sea of outlet malls, Starbucks coffee shops, and Gap stores. At least, not yet.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 05:11 PM
Geoff

Not at all true. Yes there are some very touristy places, and if you never left more than a half mile from Dutch Wonderland I can see you having gotten stung. No one should gawk, but you can truely brush up against some culture if you know where to go and what to do. Go to a live stock auction, visit one of the outlying markets, the real ones, very, very early when farmers are active, and roam the back roads where you find a farm stand or covered bridge.

Go to a family-style restaurant and enjoy, just don't figure you're doing anything that wasn't common 50 years ago no matter where you went. Just don't go in with expectations that you can't fulfill. (and ask some real locals where to go and what to do, I can guarantee you some darn good pretzels)

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 06:40 PM
Linda

We just got back from Lancaster County yesterday. My husband had visited 25 years ago. We were baffled by the endless outlet shops on route 30. Ate at Good N Plenty the first night. The food wasn't great but really enjoyed the experience of meeting other travellers. The next day we went to Strassburg and had a fabulous time visiting all the train themed attractions and the corn maze. Our 6 and 4 year old really loved it. The following day we went to Intercourse, bought some food from Stolzfus Meats and had a picnic. We didn't go to any of the Amish Farm attractions because we were uncomfortable about gawking. We did take a buggy ride at the Kitchen Kettle buggy ride and met a very nice Amish driver. It was an opportunity for us to teach our children about a different culture. We also enjoyed the Bird in Hand Farmers Market. We drove home through the corn fields and would definitely go back again.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:25 AM
elaine

I disagree that Lancaster is now a tourist trap.
While there are many 'touristy' areas in Lancaster, there are also many wonderful small towns, etc. close by. For example, just last weekend we went to Mount Gretna and attended their juried Art Show which draws artists and tourists from many, many states. The town is very charming, as is Litiz which is also nearby.
If you plan a trip to Lancaster, 'get lost' on small country roads. There you can see true Amish culture. We noticed a young boy w/wagon, selling his families' baked goods and vegetables. Our purchase of tomatoes, zucchini, sticky buns and 'tray' of chocolate chip cookies cost a mere $3. Lancaster is a wonderful destination. With some planning, a tourist could avoid tacky crafts shops, mediocre restaurants and crowds. It is a great desintation, particularly in summer, fall and spring.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 05:35 AM
Annie

You know, Amish DO live in places outside of Lancaster. I'm from a small town in NW PA, and there are a lot of Amish farms around, along with some Amish roadside bake sales, and furniture stores selling REAL Amish-made furniture (the Amish make the furniture, the Menonites sell it). If it's Amish you're looking for, head to Ohio and Indiana.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 05:38 AM
Lily

Although Lancaster does have some tourist traps, I agree that you must go beyond Route 30. Honestly we Pennsylvanians mainly go to Lancaster for the outlets.

However if you are truly interested in the Amish culture, they are more than willing to share their lifestyle in many out of the way places in PA. We are about 2 hours North West of Lancaster and live among a large Amish community. Many Amish sell handmade and homegrown products in this area. In addition many of our local craftsman are Amish.

NOTE: We locals don't buy the baked goods. Most of our Amish neighbors do not have running water or electric so hygene is not always priority.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Cindy

I can see both sides of the Lancaster issue. On the one hand, there is probably a lot of good local culture to experience. But on the other hand, would any of us visit there if the Amish wore jeans and T-shirts and drove trucks? Probably not. So there certainly is an element of gawking going on. I personally didn't find the place all that interesting, but I make the pilgrammage when we have out-of-town guests who'd like to go to Lancaster. I'd feel better, though, if shoe fly pie weren't so highly touted -- gack!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 08:50 AM
me

Hey Annie,do you live in New Wilmington,Pa.?? We live in New Castle....small world,huh?? Plenty of Amish here and Voant,Pa. ...then of course you have your Grove City Outet Mall..in case you need to shop..Just a little "HI" to you.(that was OUTLET Mall)