Beaches in N.Carolina

Search

Beaches in N.Carolina

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 01:29 PM
miriam

Beaches in N.Carolina

Hi,
last year I´ve been to Edisto Island,S.Carolina and I´ve enjoyed it very much. This summer I´d like to stay in N.Carolina. Is there any place similar to Edisto where I can rent a condo and will be able to make daytrips? I don´t like crowded places nevertheless I like to go out for dinner..
I´ll be grateful for any help

Miriam

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:50 PM
Jess

Dear Miriam,
We have never stayed on Edisto Island, but we have on Ocean Isle, N.C. Ocean Isle has little commerical development other than housing. Many good places to dine at Calabash and Mytle Beach is an easy drive. It served us well until we started going to Gulf Shores, Ala. and Destin, Fla. instead of traveling east. We like the Gulf better than the Atlantic. Please note that we have not been to Ocean Isle in about 8 years, but we did like it very much then.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 05:05 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Ocean Isle is a great place with a textbook Carolina beach (I think these are the best in the world). It is mostly beach houses though, and you do have to drive off the island for dinner.
Wrightsville Beach at Wilmington, N.C. has lots of dining and entertainment options while still remaining a nice beach (not too overdeveloped) but tends to be pretty expensive for lodging. But then, you also have historic Wilmington nearby (20 minutes) which as a pretty nice riverfront area (though it is certainly no Savannah or Charleston).

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 06:28 PM
Ruth

I second Wrightsville Beach. Great dining, great history around the area, gorgeous azaleas as we speak.
Another island that is a well kept secret is Sunset Beach...very similar to Ocean Isle. But, you do have to drive to eat out.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 04:28 PM
Diane

shhhhh. Wilmington and the Cape Fear River area are on my short list for retirement areas. What's not to like? Close to wonderful beach, historic river front, good restaurants, university....

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Dan

All of the recommended places are much more crowded than Emerald Isle, NC, which remains a well-kept secret - near to good restaurants, beautiful uncrowded beaches all summer long and even better in Sept. & Oct. - check out the Emerald Isle Realty website for rental information.