Reload this Page >

Beaches around Monterey or SF

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 11:26 AM
sara

We'll be taking our family to California next June from Ohio. We'll be in LA for a few days and plan to go to the beach for a day and swim if possible. Laguna or Huntington beach have been recommended. After visiting some National Parks, we'll be in Monterey and SF. My question is what beach areas around Monterey and SF should we visit for some nice walks or scenery? I don't think we'll have time to go south of Monterey. Thank you for your help.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 10:38 AM
C. Purcell

I'm a native San Franciscan living near Sacramento now and first off, June is not the best month to visit S.F. or Monterey because it is frequently foggy and/or cloudy or cool along the coast, but just dress for it and you will be fine. We vacation alot in Carmel and Monterey and one of our favorite walks is between Monterey (down near the Cannery and Aquarium) and Pacific Grove. There is a nice path for walkers, joggers, etc. right along the bay with lovely views of the water. The walk up and back will take about one hour. By the way, the Monterey Bay Aquarium should not be missed especially if you have kids. Make reservations if you plan to go! You should also take the 17 mile drive which is in the Pebble Beach area between Monterey and Carmel. There is a small charge but the scenery is fabulous with some wonderful views. If you have time visit Carmel by the Sea as you exit the 17 mile drive. There are some wonderful shops and a great white sand beach at the end of the main street. We prefer Carmel to Monterey as it is a lot cleaner and not quite so touristy. As for S.F. beaches, nothing too attractive there. Ocean beach which runs from the zoo to the Cliff House is the biggest stretch of beach, but it is not very pretty, usually cold and windy in summer, but you might hit it on one of the nice days! It is about 5 miles long. If you are spending some time in S.F. let me know and I will tell you what sights not to miss.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 08:45 PM
deke

In Monterey, take the 17-Mile Drive and visit the beaches along the drive. They're quite stunning. One of them (it's vista point #5 on the brochure, but I can't remember the name) is just super. Also, Asilomar Beach and Lovers Point in Pacific Grove (next town over from Monterey) is good. And the beach that's part of Carmel state park is nice. In San Francisco, Baker Beach is better than Ocean Beach, but it's true that in June the coast can be foggy.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:40 AM
Liz

Highly recommend Point Lobos State Reserve for great hiking and beautiful scenery. Please do a search for "17 mile drive, I don't get it" thread to see if it is something you should put on your list.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 03:48 AM
SFSally

You may have a problem with fog in Southern California as well. We refer to it as June Gloom. Sometimes the sun doesn't break through the marine layer all day.

Huntington and Laguna Beaches are fine. There are many other good ones in the area as well.

I also recommend the 17 mile drive. The thread that the previous poster was referring to had many complaints from folks that didn't think it is worth the price. If it hasn't gone up recently, the cost for the 17 mile drive is $8.25 per car. I think that is a trivial amount for the beautiful scenery you will see. There will likely be several deer down on the golf course by the water.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Gary

sara:

I agree with the above that Huntington and Laguna are fine--especially Laguna, as the town itself is beautiful. But if you're actually visiting L.A., that seems like quite a drive if you're only looking for a beach. If I were staying in L.A., I'd consider Manhattan Beach or Zuma Beach--wide beaches, and, at Zuma, small crowds.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 01:58 PM
Steve

Sara - If you're driving up the coast, your family might enjoy Hearst Castle as a stopping point. Agree w/Liz. 17-mile drive, for the money and the time it takes, might not be for you. For hiking, we prefer coastal and near-coastal areas just north of SF, rather than Carmel, Monterey, etc. Less crowded, less commercial, fewer people.