Beach or Mountain biking

Search

Beach or Mountain biking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach or Mountain biking

ok last minute summer vacation plans. The question is do we go to St. Augustine beach, FL, and stay with friends for a getaway, approx. 18 hour drive, OR do we go mountain biking and hiking in North Carolina? I know two very different trips. It would take 8 hours to get to NC. My kids 14- 11 are having beach withdrawls. HELP?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Aren't you the only one that can answer this? What do you and your kids want to do?

Also, look at the length of time your trip is. Don't spend 18 hours driving (hopefully this is round trip time) for 36 hours of relaxing. Make sure you have at least a few days where ever you go.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I'd carefully consider what your kids want to do as it may affect how much you enjoy the vacation.

I spent a hellish Mother's Day on a very long bike ride with a toddler yelling, "I want to walk." "My helmet's too big." and "My helmet's too small."

The bike ride which sounded like fun before we started was awful, and I wasn't real happy about being a mother that day, either.

Maybe you should go to the beach.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

yes I realize that I ultimately have final say but my thinking isn't always the most rational. Do you drive 18 hours to take advantage of free accommodations? And that is one way. I guess I was also wanting feedback from anyone who has been in either area( the area in NC would be Pisgah National Forest). Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I haven't been to either so I'll bow out of the discussion after this...

You need to say how long you are going for. Free accommodations for 2 weeks is alot different than free accommodations for 2 days.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM

My $0.02. Personal preference only, of course, but I'd vote for the NC mountains...it will be cooler up there late summer, and it is a spectacular area for hiking and mountain biking. I don't think your kids would be bored. That said, you state that they are having beach withdrawals...you have a tough call, but I'd opt for the shorter drive.

Of course, it's not a 10 hour drive from Pisgah to St. Augustine, so I don't think it's 18 hours from wherever you're coming from. It's more like 7.5 hours between those two (at least you can "save" 2.5 hours in your thinking).
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM

The Pisgah national Forest is gorgeous. If you go the kids would love the sliding rock natural waterslide. There are also some other waterfalls in the area that are roadside and one that is about a 20 minute hike in. Very beautiful.

Also in the area (~45 minute drive) is Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. The climate will also be much more comfortable.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

CDJC, Can you be more specific as to where the trail is that you're referring too? We have hiked off the Blue Ridge Mountain PKY and found a great water hole and we also did sliding rock. Have you camped in the area?