Reload this Page >

Beach escapes from winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Pisces

I'd like to escape from the winter for at least a few days mid-February next year. I have my heart set on going to a beach where it would be warm enough to at least wade a bit. The total budget for my husband and I would be under $2000, so most resorts are out of the question. We can fly out of either Charlotte or Raleigh, so the airfare wouldn't be outrageous but usually the cheapest fares aren't available either.

Our needs are pretty simple- we like to snorkel and kayak and wander around sight-seeing. We're not big shoppers, and we don't like huge crowds or being around lots of kids. Are there any places in Florida that would fit this bill? I'm only familiar with the northern part of the state and I know it can get very cold up there.

Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
xxx

Have you considered anywhere from Miami to Key West? You can always fly to FLL or MIA.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:58 PM
kara

Consider Cozumel for great snorkeling and reasonable villa rentals. We book through At Home in Cozumel (try search engine, don't remember url). They have an amazing service for $150 per person per week to have a local cook come in and prepare 2 meals a day for you. Many waterfront rentals have spectacular snorkeling right out front. Actually, you probably also could get an Apple Vacation and stay at a Cozumel All-Inclusive for the $$$ you describe. (Try www.applevacations.com for specials on many islands.) I didn't think i'd like Mexico at first after only doing Florida and Carribean, but the snorkeling in Cozumel simply cannot be beat, and the island's filtration system means no water problems like the mainland. People friendly and low-key, island mellow as only 5% of it is developed and the restaurants are surprisingly good. Deserted beaches on undeveloped east coast.

May be out of pricerange, but check out my favorite little Compass Point in the Bahamas at www.islandoutpost.com for a private getaway in a purple shack on the water. Great snorkeling reef about 75 ft of their beach. Have fun!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:27 PM
Maria

hello. Maybe you two could fly to Acapulco or Cabo San Lucas, february in Mexico it´s a very good month, without people & kids everywhere. So you could get good prices.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:34 PM
suzanne

Have you considered Club Med? I went to Club Med Playa Blanca (west coast of Mexico) in February of last year for 8 days...it cost $850 per person, all-inclusive (including rt airfare from NY). We kayaked, snorkeled, swam in the warm water, played volleyball, climbed the rock wall, took dance lessons, played tennis...I can go on and on. It was in the middle of nowhere, so it wasn't crowded and there was no shopping. Also no kids!! Most of the people were in their late 20's to mid 40's, and there were both singles and couples. It was a blast (people were SO friendly and happy to be there) and a great deal to boot...I can't wait to go back next year! PS - the weather was PERFECT - low to mid 80s all week, and barely a cloud in the sky.

Another option you might want to check out is Apple Vacations (applevacations.com). You can DEFINITELY go to a great resort for $2000 for a few days.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:57 PM
Jen

Try Key Largo. I live in Tampa and stayed in Key Largo and Key West for a week in Feb and loved it. Stay at a place called the Hungry Pelican Motel in Key Largo. It was rustic but I liked it. They have different rooms and suites and the cost is $50-$115 depending on the type of room. The cool thing is that they are right on the water and it is great area to kayak. Also, a family of manatees came up to us everyday - it was very cool. I just found a paper with their # it is (305) 451-3576. Might be worth it. Snokeling is great at the John Pennekamp Park in Key Largo as well.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:08 PM
Wendy

We did a mid Feb vacation to the Keys this last year and it wasn't all that warm! It actually rained 3 days. We even had to go shopping for sweatshirts because it got cold after sunset! I agree with Mexico as a good option.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:49 PM
w

Florida is an option but you can have weather (cool to cold) problems at any time. With a $2000 budget you could go to the Bahamas or Mexico (Cozumel, CAncun). You could even consider the CAribbean. You could get rain showers in these places but it is going to be warm to hot at all times. And water will be reasonably warm.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:53 AM
Taurus

I think with a budget of 2 grand for 2 adults is adeqaute for a weeks get-a-way in the Caribbean. The weather would be very warm. I have been to Turks and Caicos, and Dominican Republic in Jan. and Feb. Apples and others run all-inclusives in that price range that are pretty decent. Mexico, Cozmel, cancun, I think the choices are endless for you. You just have to research where you would like to go. Kids are in school than so you should be free of the ankle biters at that time. I have found Florida not as warm as the caribbearn in that time frame. Good luck.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Judy

I think you've gotten some good suggestions on this thread, but I'd like to add a word of caution. Check your calendar for President's Week, because it is usually mid-February, and since many schools close for their winter vacation around that time (at least in the Northeast) the rates seem to skyrocket for that time period. It also books up real fast and you'd be dealing with lots of families with kids. So if you have the option, try to stay away from that week. Good Luck.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Pisces

Thanks for all the great advice, especially about avoiding President's week (which is 2/14-2/22 next year)!