Search

Oahu Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 11:18 AM
Carolyn

Oahu Hotel

We were planning on staying at the Hilton Turtle Bay for 2 nights but are now considering the W Hotel (formerly Colony Surf) in Honolulu. Anyone stayed at either property? Thanks for any input.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Diana

It really depends entirely on what you are looking for from your vacation. Turtle Bay is roughly an hour from Honolulu. If you are looking for a relaxing country atmosphere, then TB fits the bill. But if you will spend at least 2 hours each day in the car driving to experience Waikiki & Honolulu, you may want to rethink your choice. There is no nightlife whatsoever on the North Shore, & the restaurant choices are slim. If either of these are important to the enjoyment of your vacation the W would be a better choice. David Paul's Diamond Head Restaurant is in the W. He is well known chef in Hawaii & the atmosphere is excellent even though it doesn't have an ocean view.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:05 PM
Carolyn

Thanks for the input Diana. The drive is a consideration, especially since we'll only be there for 2 days. I'm still wondering what the hotels themselves are like.

Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels?

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 09:10 PM
Lani

Carolyn,

I wouldn't even consider staying at the Turtle Bay Hilton on a two-day visit. You would do so much driving to see anything around Waikiki/Honolulu. I'm sure that you wouldn't be disappointed in the W Hotel - it has a great reputation, and it's location is excellent. Why don't you try to find a website for it - do a search - and get a better look at it that way? Good luck.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Curly

Carolyn,

I just stayed at the W Hotel last week and really enjoyed my stay. If you stay there, you will check-in inside your room, rather than the lobby. It's a very relaxed atmosphere. There's a great restaurant in the hotel called the Diamond Head Grille. The rooms are really comfortable and have all of the amenities, including Aveda products! The only downside is that there is no pool. However, you can walk a short distance to the Sans Souci Beach.

I stopped by the Turtle Bay and would not recommend it. Although I didn't stay there, the hotel didn't look that well-maintained.

Either way, have a great time.