Be careful 3 Kauai Drownings

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three dead over the weekend. A young Mom, her son and another teen in two separate incidents.

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2...ews/news01.txt

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

A letter to the editor from Dr. Monty Downs of the Kauai Water Safety Task Force. Best analysis I've read about the situation.

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2...ion/edit01.txt
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM

The drownings on the windward side of our island this past weekend, were tragic...and needless.

All day Saturday, the winds were whipping that side of the island. The surf was pounding the shoreline from Ahukini Landing to north of Anahola. Yet a family (who has lived in that area since early this year) and a local teen _chose_ to go in the surf anyway.

Sad...truly sad...
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Kal

Wow!
How'd I miss this?!?!?

I think people do think it's a true paradise and nothing will happen to them.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM

That was very sad to read about.

But I disagree with the editorial. The dangers of the ocean should be obious to anyone. Especially when the water is moving (oceans and rivers), and not stagnant like a bathtub. I don't think anyone is saying those poor people "deserved" to die, as the article implies. Only that the ocean is inherently dangerous - and that it is an open and obvious danger, not one that is hidden or not well known.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:07 PM

As to the incident mentioned in the editorial that happened several months ago - I saw a video of the ocean conditions at that beach on the day the incident happened.

Rather than calm conditions as the editorial implies, the waves were large and pounding, the surf break was close to shore. Now, not having been there myself I can't say that those conditions filmed were exactly the same as when the woman went into the water. If they were anywhere close to that though - I don't know how she even considered going in.

Signs go up when ocean conditions become risky. Some beaches pretty much have permanent signs in place. Lifeguards are stationed at the most popular beaches and those that are considered the most dangerous. Mobile lifeguard units "patrol" the more remote areas of different islands.

I guess my question is at what point do you determine that people are "reasonably" warned to the possible dangers?
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM

I was shocked to see how many people were out surfing in what appeared to be VERY rough seas last April. I saw a lifeguard there as well so I just assumed it was "normal" to the locals.