Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bayside Convention Center - Convenient to Boston Sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 06:33 AM
susan

If we choose to stay at a hotel near the Bayside Convention Center - do we need to be concerned about the area?

Does the Red Line give us easy access to Quincy Mkt., Fanieul Hall, etc, on the weekend?

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 07:08 AM
Ann

I've been hearing about a new hotel in this area. I have not seen it myself, but I do know the area. I'd say you'd have nothing to worry about in the area, but that there really isn't much in the area in the way of "neighborhood" or places to stroll to. It is very close to the JFK Library/Museum, though not walking distance, but I'd certainly go there. The Red Line is also very convenient, and yes, it does take you directly into the city, to Park St. and beyond all the way to Harvard Sq. (and beyond). So, if you're looking for a good, convenient bed, it should be fine.
I believe the area has needed a good hotel for a long time to accomodate the convention center, and this one is the first to fill that need. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 07:10 AM
betsy

Unless you're attending a conference at the Expo Ctr, I'd consider staying elsewhere. There isn't much there besides the convention center, and the neighborhood it's located in is pretty industrial. You'd be fine there, but I'd look into other alternatives. If you want to stay south of the city, there are a couple hotels in Braintree that are located right near the Red Line. The Red Line and the whole subway system are very convenient to all the sites you want to see. Good luck and have a great visit. The weather is finally starting to feel like summer here!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 07:17 AM
cheryl

Betsy-

I'm confused about why you would recommend staying in Braintree rather than near the Bayside Expo. Both are on the Red Line, but Braintree is even further out, and there is no more to do in Braintree than in that part of Dorchester. I'd choose the hotel near the Expo center over Braintree. It sounds like Susan expects that this is just a place to sleep, and access into the city is quite easy from there.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 07:32 AM
Betsy

Hi cheryl-
I guess everyone has different opinions on "where to stay", so it you're right-it depends on what Susan likes! When I travel, I like having other ammenities (restaraunts/shops) near/adjacent to the hotel, so thats why I mentioned Braintree over Dorchester. If Susan just wants a place to crash, then you're right-the hotel that Susan is considering is just fine.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:54 AM
Charles

In defense of the Braintree idea - a hotel out there will be cheaper, and as you're out from the city in any case, why not pay less? (There is a Motel 6 in Braintree near the Red Line).

That said, the expo center hotel is closer in time, and cheaper by far if a cab is used.

One thing, make sure you are talking about the right center - I know they just finished a hotel in Southie near the new convention center. As Boston has 3 convention centers, it can get confusing (Hynes, Bayside, and the new one)

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 06:13 PM
susan

Thank you all very much for your helpful information. The actual hotel I'm now looking at is brand new - it's called the Doubletree Club Hotel Bayside. It is not the usual Doubletree suite type of hotel. It does have an Au Bon Pain on the premises for a quick, reasonable breakfast before heading on the Red into Boston. Apparently they also have a hotel shuttle into Boston, Fanieul, etc. Plus the parking is free. I was able to get an AAA rate of $143/Thursday, and $125 for Sat/Sun. Other hotels closer in were running minimum 175-200, plus up to $30 per day just to keep my car parked. Add to that the Canadian exchange of around 43%, and you can see why I'm finding this property so attractive. So unless someone can tell me anything particularly discouraging about this hotel, I think I'll go for it.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 07:19 PM
betsy

Hi Susan--
I say go for it! AND, since it's a new hotel, let us know what you think of it when you get back. Have a great time!

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 04:47 AM
Lyn

Susan,

I am also planning a trip to Boston this summer and have booked a two night stay at the Doubletree Club Hotel for $96 per night through Travelscape.com. This is for a Friday and Saturday night.
Thought you might want to check out that website.