Reload this Page >

Battlefield B&B Inn - Gettysburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Brenda

Has anyone stayed at the Battlefield B&B Inn in Gettysburg. How would you rate it and is it right on the battlefield where you can walk the battlefield at night? Thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 11:24 AM
ilisa

I happened to receive something in the mail yesterday about Gettysburg. According to guide I got, Battlefield B&B is located on the battlefield and is 5 minutes from town and the visitors center. Supposedly it got three starts from Mobil. Another B&B on the Battlefield is the Doubleday Inn. We spend a weekend in Gettysburg a few years ago and drove through the battlefield at night. I don't know if you believe in ghosts and the legends that surround Gettysburg, but my husband and I do. And let me tell you, driving through the battlefield was terrifying. We heard things that we will never be able to explain in a million years.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:53 PM
susan

Can't recommend anything but I'll tell you that the "spirits" in that place were scary enough by day. I wouldn't have the guts to stay overnight and certainly wouldn't be going out on the battlefields walking. You are brave indeed.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 11:02 AM
mwg

I have never stayed there but it appears to be a fine establishment where the hosts go out of their way to let guests understand and get into the experience of the battle. Especially if you have kids, I think this would be a choise place. Although I never stayed there either, I have always wanted to stay at the Doubleday Inn. It is right on the first day's battlefield and would be one of the few places where you could have the battlefied all to yourself at certain times of the day (because most people concentrate on the 2nd and 3rd days activities). I should add that you should definitely hire a private guide to accompany you in your car. The prices are controlled and are quite reasonable. I always thought I understood what took place at Gettysburg but I learned so much in a short time with a guide it was if I knew nothing previously. Part of the reason for this is that some places are wooded now that were clear at the time of the battle a vice versa. If you really want to understand what happned, get a guide.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Jeff

My wife, myself and our two children (6 and 8 years) stayed there summer before last and had a wonderful time. The hosts (the husband is a retired judge from California and extremely knowledgeable of Gettysburg)are very friendly and do a wonderful job hosting your stay They put on a different mini-program each day focused on the civil war (armaments, clothing, cavalry, etc.) that is presented in a very informal, friendly and informative way (presented each morning just after breakfast). The B&B is a big country house and the grounds are spacious with a big pond in the back. In terms of accomodations, we are not big b&b folks, so I would rate it as clean but clearly not high end. The B&B is located technically within, but on the perimeter of the battlefield - you will have to drive to get to anywhere of interest in the area - not more than a mile drive or so. Gettysburg is a fascinating, informative and neat place for a couple of days. The village has a couple of good restaurants, the ghost walks in town are fun, and of course the battlefield will leave a very powerful impression. We took a guided horseback tour through the middle of the battlefield that I would definitely recommend. All in all, a great weekend for all us. We are not big history buffs, but you can't visit this place and not be moved regarding the significance of the events that took place there.