Baseball Trip to Phoenix

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 01:20 AM
Chris

Baseball Trip to Phoenix

I'm taking a baseball trip in late August to Phoenix, AZ at the Bank One Ballpark. Staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 6th Street. Any info: Airport, places to eat, sightseeing tours, distance from the ballpark to the hotel, etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 02:28 PM
t

Be sure to bring sunscreen for your visit and plan on drinking plenty of water while there to avoid dehydration.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Jamie

Chris,
I don't know where the HI Express is, but 6th street goes right by the park.
Will you have a car?
To do virtually anything in PHX a car is a necessity. Very minimal public transit.
Downtown area is not really 'where it's at' in PHX, though it's improved a lot in the past several years.
The Arizona Center just north of BOB is one of your best bets for food, shopping, entertainment.
But to enjoy what the Valley has to offer, I recommend heading east toward Scottsdale. The best restaurants, resorts and shopping are that way.
PHX is not long on culture as it would be defined by easterners. Its primary asset is great weather and natural scenic beauty, especially outside the city.
BOB's a great experience though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:20 PM
steve

The HI express ad in the yellow pages says that it is within walking distance of BOB. Plenty of places to eat at the Arizona Center and near the ball park. If you plan to do anything else, you would need a car.

I think BOB is a great ball park. It opens 2 hours before the games - plan on getting there early and walking around. Go to the outfield and try to get a batting practice ball. I went yesterday and waited in line for a luis gonazales bobble head.

I'm sure that there are sightseeing tours available - just that living here, i don't know anything about them

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Dee

You might want to rethink the Holiday Inn Express. It's in a questionable area: right on the border of the nice redeveloped downtown and a scary rundown area. Unfortunately there aren't many moderately priced hotel options in downtown Phoenix. The Ramada is an even worse choice than the HI Express. The San Carlos could be a possibility; it's in a historic building. The Hyatt and Crowne Plaza are other hotels downtown. However, if you are OK with the HI's mixed neighborhood, you can walk to the ballpark and to some nice places to eat. Arizona Center is an outdoor mall with many restaurants and a few shops (the restaurants have pushed out most of the shops!) Sam's Cafe has very good Southwestern food, and it's really pleasant to sit on their patio. Across the way from Sam's is Lombardi's. Enjoy your visit!