Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Baseball Hall of Fame - Do we need a full day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
baseball fan's wife

Hi, considering a trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame for the first time. Do I need to plan on a whole day to see the Hall or would 1/2 day work? My husband will want to read and see evertying.....Thanks for any input......

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:23 AM
al

If you're a big fan and really want to read and see everything, plan on taking a day. If you get there and discover you're moving along faster than you expected -- and that very well might happen -- leave early.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:29 AM
Polly

Went once with my husband and son. Daughter and I accompanied them until we had seen enough so...we did the obvious...went shopping. Shopping that we found, however, was limited to the usual 'touristy' stuff on the main drag. As we left the area, we discovered what a beautiful little town it really is. Cooperstown is on the shore of a beautiful lake and the town itself is comprised of gorgeous old homes beautifully maintained. Since it is somewhat remote from other tourist sites, it might be just as well to plan a whole day there. There are enough other things to keep you busy...and...heavens!...what could happen if you took time to relax in a quaint little town on your vacation??? LOL! Seriously, I've never tried that type vacation. I hear it's great!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:47 AM
gc

Behind the hall of fame is a ballfield that is available for rent. When you go, there may be a ball game going on. A nice way to spend an hour or so on a summer day is to sit back and watch a ball game in Cooperstown.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:54 AM
gc

http://www.baseballparks.com/MustSeeDoubled.htm

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:00 AM
abner

I'd say most people can do it in a half-day. It's not as if the Hall is the size of the Louvre. I suppose there are a few baseball nuts who can spend a whole day at the Hall, but not many.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:51 AM
Babe

Check out this site to get all kinds of info on Cooperstown sights. There are even online discount coupons available for many activities and places. The Farmers Museum sounds like a winner.

http://www.cooperstowngetaway.com/

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:11 PM
baseball fan's wife

Thank you all for your reponses......... I appreciate the help.
Sounds fun!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:38 PM
kmarie

Several years ago, I met my husband after he had spent hours at the Baseball Hall of Fame, asking, half jokingly, "Well, did you see everything you wanted to see?" He admitted he had not. It didn't take much persuasion on my part to convince him he needed to spend a few more hours there the next morning!

And this summer he wants to see the special exhibit from Cooperstown in NYC!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:24 PM
gail

We went with kids and 1/2 day was enough. But my husband, who also likes to read everything, would have spent longer. Seeing everything is a 1/2 day event, but reading all the historical info posted on the walls takes longer.
(And I don't just mean the plaques about each player)

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:09 AM
gc

http://www.baseballparks.com/MustSeeDoubled.htm