Banff at Thanksgiving...Crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Ben

Hello, Fodorites.
I realize this is the USA forum, so I'll tie my question in with Spokane/Coeur d'Alene, but my main question is:
has anyone ever visited Banff or Calgary in late November or early December?
We're interested in seeing Lake Louise and the Banff Springs Hotel, but can only travel at that time (would have preferred summer...didn't work out).
We're not skiers, just intrigued by the beautiful pictures we've seen and love the Rocky Mountains.
Is Banff worth the trip?
Is driving around southern Alberta crazy/dangerous at that time?
Has Calgary any redeeming characterisitics for tourists?
We would likely stop in Coeur d'Alene as well. Any thoughts there?

Thanks for any opinions.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Ginny

Banff/Lake Louise has jaw dropping scenery. I think Thanksgiving is a perfect time to go. In summer the area is crowded with tourists and in winter it can get -20 and below. I stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel and it is a beautiful hotel with a nice spa facility. There is a gondola ride to the top of White Sulphur Mt. and the view is spectacular. They have a restuarant up there and we ate lunch, the food wasn't bad. When we went, we skied so we really didn't do too much other than eat out and a little shopping in Banff. Post on the Canadian forum, you will get tons of info.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:54 AM
John

Hi Ben:

Might get snow at that time of year...but a spectacular location! Check out the Chateau Lake Louise for the most beautiful hotel location in the area!
JOHN

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:09 PM
J T Kirk

We went to Banff Thanksgiving, 2000. I'm a big Rocky Mountain fan, and there are some spectacular sights to see up there. Frankly, I was a teensy bit disappointed though. I've seen spectacular scenery in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Oregon and it seemed to take forever to get to Banff (fly into Calgary, drive to Banff.) But for you it sounds as though the travel isn't that big of an issue. The town of Banff is also a bit of a disappointment; it just doesn't have much charm. The lakes, by the way, will be frozen, so you won't see that beautiful deep blue water that shows in the tourist photos. The Banff Springs Hotel is large, and though nice and "old-world-y", it also lacks - at least to me - charm. And I'd also suggest eating anywhere but at the hotel. And that's another thing -- the food up there wasn't anything to write home about. But do the drive to Jasper (which is a neat little town). That's some wonderful scenery along the way. Also, the town of Canmore is pretty cool. There is some great hiking to be done there; there are some good hiking books you can get in nearly every store once you get there. it was pretty cold when we got there, but warmed up by the end of the week. they don't do turkey for Thanksgiving. Have fun. Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know. (Keep in mind -- My memory is almost shot, but I'll try to help.)

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:09 PM
J T Kirk

We went to Banff Thanksgiving, 2000. I'm a big Rocky Mountain fan, and there are some spectacular sights to see up there. Frankly, I was a teensy bit disappointed though. I've seen spectacular scenery in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Oregon and it seemed to take forever to get to Banff (fly into Calgary, drive to Banff.) But for you it sounds as though the travel isn't that big of an issue. The town of Banff is also a bit of a disappointment; it just doesn't have much charm. The lakes, by the way, will be frozen, so you won't see that beautiful deep blue water that shows in the tourist photos. The Banff Springs Hotel is large, and though nice and "old-world-y", it also lacks - at least to me - charm. And I'd also suggest eating anywhere but at the hotel. And that's another thing -- the food up there wasn't anything to write home about. But do the drive to Jasper (which is a neat little town). That's some wonderful scenery along the way. Also, the town of Canmore is pretty cool. There is some great hiking to be done there; there are some good hiking books you can get in nearly every store once you get there. it was pretty cold when we got there, but warmed up by the end of the week. they don't do turkey for Thanksgiving. Have fun. Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know. (Keep in mind -- My memory is almost shot, but I'll try to help.)

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:47 PM
gg

We do so have turkey for Thanksgiving-OUR Thanksgiving which is before the U.S. thanksgiving!!! Also, I think the Banffsprings hotel has a lot of charm.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Ben

Thanks everyone for the input.
And to J T Kirk a special thanks. I value negative opinions more than positive ones in some ways, depending how they're phrased. I've been trying to read between the lines about the hotels in Banff. Sounds like they're popular due to location, but that they're certainly not high end quality wise. Not as mundane as Holiday Inn, but definitely not the Ritz either. And your food comments confirmed some other suspicions I'd developed. I admit to having very high expectations. Easy to be disappointed sometimes. So I always try to go in with proper expectations. Thanks again.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:32 AM
George

Ben, contrary to what JT said, I really liked the Banff Springs Hotel although the food was just ok. The Hotel is huge, and there are little nooks and crannies to explore.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:46 AM
J T Kirk

I knew I was going to catch some flack for seeming to attack the Banff Springs. Let me add this: I, as a rule, don't like huge hotels. I like smaller, intimate places (not B&Bs, though). To me, the Banff Springs was too big (you had to valet park, or park the car yourself a LONG way away), and too dark (all those nooks and crannys, which went nowhere), and too "old-world-y." I recognize that this last description- old-world-y - is part of the appeal to some people, but just not to me. It does have a great setting, although I could do without the golf course. And the people who work there are pleasant and accomodating. The spa is nice, if you like that sort of thing. To me, the Banff Springs is a place you'd expect to see (and have seen) in some trendy fashion magazine, and I'm just not that trendy. But it is a nice place, and you will have a pleasant stay there.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Ginny

JT, Have you stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise? I walked through the lobby while we were there, but did not stay there. It looks very nice.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:15 AM
J T Kirk

Ginny,
Like you, I've never stayed at Chateau Lake Louise, but we had lunch there and looked around the hotel. It's very similar to Banff Springs, except it seemed to have more light than did Banff Springs, which seems to be dark and shadowy. The hotel literally sits on the shore of the lake. We hiked one of the trails at Lake Louise and walked on the frozen lake. The food at Lake Louise was unimpressive. I think staying at Lake Louise would be awesome in the summer when the lake is thawed. But in the winter, there's not much to do there and you're a good 45-60 minute drive from Banff.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Ginny

JT, We went skiing there in January. I have never been so cold in my life! It was -20 every morning, but we bundled up and made sure we some schnapps tucked in our ski coats and we survived. After a long, cold day on the slopes the hot tub and a massage in the spa was wonderful. The Banff Springs plays up the Medievial Castle theme. While we were there our group had a Medieval Dinner in the Big Hall with everyone dressing up in costume. It was fun! I was the Queen of Zippers. (long story) and I actually got to behead some people. ;o)

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Marie

Did the beheading take place before or after dinner?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Ginny

It's tacky to have a beheading on an empty stomach. It took place after dinner and after lots of wine.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Susan

We stayed in Lake Louise rather than Banff. There is very little in Lake Louise and its quiet so we loved it. It would depend on whether you like town action or quiet. We stayed at the Post Hotel. Pricey but wonderful. I would never stay at the Chateau. Too big. If you don't stay at the Post, at least eat there. It is supposed to be the best in the Rockies. Definitely do the drive up the Parkway to Jasper. We stayed at Pyramid Lake Lodge. Have fun!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Dan

My wife and I stayed at Banff Springs Hotel in October. Even though it got down to the thirties, we were able to sit in their HIGHLY heated outdoor pool with an unbelievable mountain view. We were there when it opened in the morning and had the whole pool to ourselves. You can't miss the pool as steam just comes pouring out of it in the cold weather.
Not sure if it's open in Nov/Dec though.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 09:23 AM
sarah

You'd be crazy not to hang out in Banff. To stay in the hotels you're talking about will cost you a small fortune. I recommend the Timberline lodge at the base of Mt. Norquay. You can enjoy a morning coffee on your veranda overlooking the town. The Banff springs hotel looks like a castle in the mist. Takes five minutes to walk into Banff and you'll get to check out some wildlife. Or 5 bucks in a cab. Canmore is a cruisy little town just before Banff. Well worth stopping in for a visit, not as congested and touristy as banff.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 09:46 AM
Judge

Some people like to save money for their vacations, to splurge and enjoy the 'fruits of their labor'.
Some people can save a lot, some can save a little.
I think it's poor form to tell other people how they should spend their money.
This is a travel forum. One would assume most people here like to travel. And if they have the money, they'll likely spend it.
If the Banff Springs hotel costs a 'small fortune', how come it's so often booked full? A lot of stupid people or a lot of money floating around or a lot of corporate trips?