Baltimore/Frederick MD - This weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I are taking a quick weekend trip to Frederick this weekend. We know that we are close to Gettysburg and have been there before. Was wondering what to see and do as well as some restaurant ideas.

We're thinking about taking in the aquarium and the harbor(?) area in Baltimore.

What say all of you experienced Fodorites?
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM

Harpers Ferry is close to Frederick and would be a nice place to visit.

Frederick is a nice quaint town. Brewer's Alley is a nice pub on Market Street for a beer/sandwich. Across the street is Acacia Fusion Bistro which had excellent food.

In Baltimore, one of our favorite Italian restaurants is Amicci's in Little Italy.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
LN

You'll be close to the Catoctin Mountains (and Camp David). The mountains are beautiful. Old Frederick has many antique shops and some restaurants that are supposed to be quite good.

Not too far from Frederick (on Rt 70) there's a winery, Linganore Wines, that has jazz festivals often on weekends. We didn't fall in love with the wines (fruity, more dessert type) but we had a nice time there.

It's a nice area - about 40 minutes from Baltimore and about 15/20 minutes from Hagerstown.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM

I have been longing to visit Frederick to see the trompe l'oeil painted bridge. I've only seen pictures and understand that it's easy to miss if you don't know about it. You might want to check the website (I think it's community bridge project) to see before and after pictures.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:58 AM

You might want to visit the Antietam Battlefield and then head over to Harper's Ferry on the Potomac River.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM

Definitely spend some time in the Inner Harbor area in downtown Baltimore. The National Aquarium in Baltimore is a "must see". The new Australia exhibit is quite fascinating. There are plent of nice restaurants in the area, including Little Italy, as referenced by Budman. Enjoy!