Bakery in North End?

Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Bakery in North End?

I was told that there is a very good bakery (Italian I assume) in the north end district but my friend could not recall the name. We will be there for a week beginning this Thursday and would love to find it. Does anyone have a clue as to what he could be referring to? He also said it was close to one of the area landmarks.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

Could be Mike's.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:07 PM

There are a number of bakeries in the North End, but our favorite is Mike's Pastry on Hanover St. We like their cannolis the best. There is also Modern Pastry on Hanover, but if you walk around you will find even more. I'm sure many people have their favorites! Have fun in Boston!
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
dln

I like Mike's too. It's been around for decades, and for good reason! Their cannolis and rhum babas are heavenly.

Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM

If Mike has begun to fill his cannolis with the real thing and not Cool Whip, then go to Mike's. The best bakeries are off the beaten track, i.e., on one of the smaller streets off Hanover. Try Maria's Pastry and Modern Pastry. Go to www.northendmarkettours.com; maybe you could squeeze in one of Michele Topor's tours of the North End.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM

Mike's Pastry in the North End. You'll see a lot of people walking around with little white boxes with blue lettering. It's located on what you could call one of the main drags when you first walk into the North End from the Quincy Market/Haymarket area. It's just past Cafe Vittoria, equally as popular and famous, you won't miss it. Have a good time.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:42 PM

I think it's Prince street. Also check out Bova's. The landmark could be the Paul Revere House.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM

Everybody here has their favorite Italian bakery, but Mike's is mine too...
Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
lvk

I have still never had a cannoli that comes close to Mike's.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM

Modern is my favorite. They will also sell you the unfilled cannoli shells and bags of the cheese filling that you can carrry home with you. I've done this a couple times, stored the shells in the freezer for a week to serve at a dinner party and they were excellent.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:59 PM

I've only tried to get to Mike's on holidays (when visiting my son, who happens to enjoy their cannolis) - never can get in the door! But there is this little hole in the wall bakery, right across from the barriers (you can see the bridge in the distance), they have the BEST marzipan!
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM

Looks like Mike's is the favorite, its certainly mine! Go early or plan to take a while. It gets very crowded. I love Boston, hope you have a great trip.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:13 PM

I assumed the OP was inquiring about Boston's North End ... but can we be certain?

Cool-whip filled cannolis? Yuck!

Search this Thread