Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Baggage tampering alert and a recommendation!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Iris

Three different stories of baggage tampering in the last week:

1. Friend going from Washington to Seattle on United: had a tough combination lock on his checked bag. When he got to his Seattle hotel, he discovered that the lock had been ripped off, one zipper tab was missing and one was bent and twisted.

2. Mother going from Hartford to Tampa on Delta Express: Instead of a lock, she'd used a twist-tie through the zipper tabs, taped them together and tucked and taped them into an indentation in the bag's design. On getting home she pulled out the tabs and discovered the tape was shredded, the twist tie gone, and her belongings in the suitcase completely mussed up and knotted.

3. Son going from Raleigh to Boston on Midway: No lock but on arrival at Boston destination, discovered a long slash in the side of his checked bag. He doesn't know for sure yet whether anything was missing.

Recommendations: INSPECT YOUR BAG CAREFULLY THE MINUTE YOU CLAIM IT AT BAGGAGE CLAIM. Don't leave the airport until you are satisfied it hasn't been tampered with.

Also -- even if you don't discover something until later, notify the airline. They probably won't do anything for you, but they must have the information to discover where and when problems are arising.

Anyone else want to add specific airports or airlines to the list? And do you believe the problem comes after check in or after arrival?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Jackson

Iris makes a very good point, but you should know that you have 24-36 hrs. to make a claim against the airline, even if you've left the airport.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:45 AM
John

Jackson's correct. I arrived in Baltimore on a USAirways flight several years ago and upon checkin at the hotel realized a leather jacket was missing from my hanging back. I called the airline and they were very professional and helpful. USAirways ended up paying for the jacket even though I'd left the airport. (Apparently the airlines contract many services to other companies and theft was a problem at BWI at the time!)

One other thing: BE NICE to the people who are trying to help you. Baggage services has to be one of the worst airline jobs imaginable and a smile/kind word can go a long way.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:46 AM
John

typo alert - hanging back = hanging bag.
Haven't had coffee yet!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Keri

Nice to see you emphasize the point about being nice to those trying to help, John.
I get so irritated, yet laugh a bit to myself at the same time, when I see travellers lash out and rant at gate attendants or hotel desk clerks and such, or just act childishly.
Those are the people who can make or break your day.
And even if they can't help, who has the right to treat someone else so rudely when they're just trying to do their job, and not being paid a mint for it, BTW.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Anne

I have posted previously about damage to my suitcase which initially I thought was done by a person but when I took the case it to get repaired, the repairman told me it was damage caused by the luggage belt. The handlers aren't too careful and throw bags on which can get caught in those moving parts. Just another story!!!

However, I must add, that I can't believe how many suitcases I have seen with no locks at all!!! May be it advertises that "hey there is nothing in this case worth stealing" but I think it is just asking for it.

Anne in Australia

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Olive Oyl

I posted something similar a month ago after losing yet another combination lock from luggage checked on AA at DFW for a flight back to Tampa. Nothing was missing from my bag, but neither was it as I had packed it. Despite the crossed straps having been pulled tightly over the contents to hold them in place, it is possible they shifted in transit, however between that and the missing lock, I was suspicious enough to have posted something here.

In retrospect, even though nothing was missing, I can see where it would be beneficial to report these instances. Enough similar complaints in a particular location would (hopefully) prompt the airlines to look into the situation.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Ess

Maybe I've been unusually fortunate but I've had the same old non-locking bag for years now, and it's have never been tampered with to my knowledge. If I'm traveling with something valuable like jewelry or documents, I keep it with me in my carryon. Anne, I guess my suitcase is one of those that advertises I have nothing worth stealing. If they want my dirty laundry they're welcome to it! I'd love to see the look of disappointment!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:49 AM
jay

Same here - everything goes in hunter green army russack, no locks. I packed my mother's family pearls in the middle of a toilet paper roll, wadded crinkled tp on either end, stuck in in the bag, and threw dirty stuff on top. Pearls arrived on time. Also, I can always spot my bag in the crowd - it's the one no one goes near!!!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:57 AM
JIm

This kind of thing is on the list of reasons I quit checking luggage two years ago. I just travel light with a small duffle bag that fits nicely into the overhead. No tampering worries, no waiting at the claim area, no huge suitcase to lug.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Cindy

Someone mentioned that there are a lot of unlocked suitcases. I have never locked a suitcase in 20 years of flying. No one has ever opened my ordinary-looking bags (unless they have taken the time to re-pack everything carefully).

If I were a thief, and I saw a locked bag and an unlocked bag, I would go for the locked bag. So no locks for me!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:40 AM
traveller

I have never locked my bags and have travelled a great deal. As far as I can tell, my bags have never been tampered with but I must admit, they are pretty beat up and don't look like they belong to anyone with anything. They certainly have gotten lost many times (far too many lately) - in fact, on my last three trips, they were lost every time.

I have seen people shrink wrapping their bags in some of the larger airports. This may be a deterrent.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Beavis

My deterent is to always pack my dirty laundry, especially underwear and sweat socks on top and/or by anything valuable....I haven't had anything stolen yet!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Rosemary

We don't lock our baggage, don't carry anything of either value or sentimental value in it. Only problem - arriving at Las Vegas last Oct (Northwest from BWI via Detroit) there was a huge slash right across my suitcase. Took it straight to airline, they had a huge closet full of new suitcases at the back, they straightaway found me another of similar size and - as it happened -better quality.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:37 AM
L

A good reason for staying away from Hartman luggage ... and yes, leave it all unlocked. Valuables go onboard. You probably face a greater risk of misplaced or lost luggage than thieves. Ciao

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:20 PM
sam

I bought one of those "three vinyl dufflebags for $50" things at Sam's Club 3 years ago and it's been the best luggage I've ever owned. Airlines have abused the bags but they haven't torn and still actually look pretty good after 30-40 flights. I agree with the previous poster...NO WAY i'd buy expensive luggage these days.

Do people really shrink-wrap luggage? Seems silly to me. Then again, I always carry my valuables on board.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:23 PM
traveller

I actually saw quite a number of bags shrink wrapped when in Miami. I actually thought it wasn't too bad an idea as it not only protects your luggage from some of the "man handling", it would qlwo be pretty hard to get away with rifling through it. I didn't bother cuz my luggage is garbage anyhow and I don't ever put valuables in it.