Reload this Page >

Bad experience at the Palmer House in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:36 PM
pj

Stayed at the Palmer House 12/31 check out 1/1/03.
Taking into consideration of party imbibers,
I was understanding of the noisy, festive atmosphere. People being noisy on the floor
we were staying on.
By about 2:00 am I wanted to sleep.
The noise was so loud, people partying yelling ect.
Called security twice....then fire alarm was activacted. It is now 3:30 am, fire alarm, noisy party next door, fire truck arrives.
Called front desk, again 1st I want to know if there is a fire!!! She informs me it is a false alarm.
To make a long story short, I contacted security again. The manager is sorry but it is New Years eve....
Lets just say I am not impressed with how this was handled.
Too many fine hotels in Chicago to be left sleepless!!!
When you have problems arise thats when you know what class of hotel you have!!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:25 PM
ask again

Call and explain to the manager the events and ask for a refund or a free night's stay. If they don't offer you something they are fools.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:12 AM
Ken

While I sympathize with PJ's situation, I find it hard to believe that someone is shocked that they can't sleep on New Years Eve in major city hotel. In a perfect world, yes, but remember that a large portion of our fellow man is made up of total buffoons. Our neighbors partied all night as well. After 2 calls to the police, I turned on the stereo to block some of the noise and went back to sleep...

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:35 AM
x

I thought the Palmer House was an upscale hotel? They should have handled the situation better. I would also ask for a refund.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:07 AM
pj

I agree with you Ken, in a perfect world there would not be any buffoons!!

My complaint is with the hotel itself, they should have policys that their guests should be able to sleep!!

If this was a fleabag hotel or hostel, well such is life.

I am dissapointed in the whole situation. I would not stay there again.I thought I would post my experience, this is not how a truly upscale hotel would have handeled this.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:32 AM
deskclerk

You are correct, PJ. Rooms are for "quiet enjoyment", or sleep. If people want to party, they should rent a banquet room, not a sleeping room.

I worked for places that would try to handle complaints like this inhouse, "diplomatically" - but drunks do not respond to that kind of treatment. You have to tell the hotel that you will call the police and press charges for disturbance of peace if the problem is not resolved, then DO IT if the hotel does not resolve it. I also thought the Palmer House to be a classier place than you've described.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:43 AM
pj

Thank you frontdesk!! I wish I would have thought about calling the police.
I probably will never encounter this again. This is a first!!!

But just in case, I have backup plan now!! Thanks

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:51 AM
Frank

For those who have stayed in world class hotels like the Four Seasons Chicago, or Peninsula Chicago, I have a question.
Could you even fathom something like pj's story occurring at those other hotels?

I seriously doubt it, having stayed at both several times.

Not only would management be all over those kinds of things like a SWAT team, but the guests who stay at those hotels wouldn't behave like that in the first place (OK, 95% of them wouldn't...I suppose there are always exceptions).

My point is that the Palmer House is an OK hotel, certainly not a cheap hotel. But that hotel attracts a business crowd during the week and they'll do whatever it takes to fill rooms on weekends and holidays. They attract a very mixed crowd.
Plus, it's not a luxury hotel and staff aren't trained to maintain the highest possible standards.

Palmer House is not much above an Embassy Suites for service and value.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
J

Sometimes, stuff like this just happens--no matter how classy the hotel may be.

I've stayed at the Ritz-Laguna Miguel and had similar problems that went unresolved by management, same at the Biltmore in Arizona. It shouldn't happen, but it does sometimes. New Year's Eve strikes me as one of the biggest nights of the year for it to happen--combo of drunken louts and less-experienced staff working that shift because everyone else wants it off.

I really like the suggestion of calling the cops.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM
x

pj, you are very foolish if you do not send a polite letter to the manager. The hotel owes you something (either a partial refund or a free night(s) for such an experience....

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:35 PM
pj

I have sent a letter to Palmer House, a letter to the ceo in Ca., posted here, posted Biddingfortravel.com, posted planetfeedback.....so we will see!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:44 PM
jose

It must be a bitch to grow old and curmudgeoned.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:07 PM
bob

Think of it this way, pj. It was better for everyone else on the road that night that these annoying drunks weren't out driving.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Abbey

PJ, thanks for posting. I too would have been annoyed at the noise; I'm not "old" and I'm not "cranky" but I believe the room is for relaxation, not to host your own version of "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve". I would have thought the hotel would have handled it better, kind of lame on their part! Let us know if you are offered some type of compensation.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:39 PM
aussie

We stayed at the Palmer House a few months ago and found the attitude of the staff (especially those at the front desk) to be very unhelpful.
Any queries or requests were treated with contempt and overall it was most disappointing, as we had heard such good things about the hotel in the past.
So maybe they are going through a 'bad patch' at present.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:45 PM
Kayo

The PH is not one of Chicago's top 20-25 hotels. I'm not sure why so many people are dumbfounded by the poor service.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:08 PM
aussie

I guess because here in Australia it seems to be recommended as one of the 'institutions' and sold as a must stay. It was in our case anyway. Which made it all the more disappointing when it was anything but a 'must stay'!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:40 AM
a

Aussie & other 1st timers

Palmer House is no long a 'must stay' in Chicago. Now I would name Peninsula, Park Hyatt, 4 Seasons, Ritz and the new Sofitel. PH is exactly as Frank described it.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:24 AM
blahblahblah

So you stay at Palmer House, a 4 star only on BiddingForTravel and a 3 star in ratings that are meaningful (Mobil), on New Years Eve, paid what, $56 a night and are griped because people were celebrating on the one night of the year most of the world celebrates. You get what you pay for. If you're lucky you'll get all of your $56 back. Big frickin' deal.

!!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -