Back from Williamsburg with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all had a great time in Williamsburg. Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiries. I ‘m writing a trip report to give back and hopefully help others who will be going to Williamsburg.

We left New Jersey on a stormy Saturday morning. Thunderstorms were coming from the south going north. I was quite nervous as this is our first long drive ever as a family. We have taken many plane rides the longest was 20 plus hours but the most we’ve ever driven was 3 hours from our home. So we are a novice in car trips with kids. We started out with our directions from mapquest – no we don’t have a navigation system – and my cheat sheet from Budman. Driving on a stormy day turned out to be a blessing for us. There were few cars on the road and we drove straight to Virginia without encountering any traffic or accidents on the way. We experienced all parts of a thunderstorm – cloudy skies, a little sprinkle, heavy rain, heavy rain and strong winds – this must be those yellow spots on doppler radar in the weather reports- then sunshine! Going through the heavy rain was nerve racking as we could hardly see the car ahead of us. We told the kids no talking allowed as our eyes were glued to the windshield when suddenly we saw blinking lights ahead of us! What a relief! The car ahead of us put on his hazard lights and it was the difference of night and day! So we did the same hoping that it would help the car behind us as well. After that first strong downpour, the second and the third was easy! We learn something new everyday so on our next trip, if it says thunderstorms, I will not worry. Lightning and tornadoes though is a different story.

KINGS CREEK PLANTATION
We booked our rooms through Expedia. They had a special 3 nights get 1 night free so we ended up paying just 4 nights for our stay. We got a 2 bedroom cottage. It was a home away from home. The 2 bedroom cottage had 2 ½ baths, a pullout sofa bed, a wide screen TV, washer/dryer, a fully equipped kitchen and dining room table good for 6 people. We truly enjoyed our accommodations here. The kitchen was great as the kids got very tired on 2 occasions and I just made dinner at home. Easy dinner of pasta and meatballs and chicken soup saved us from having to drag them out just to eat! Tired and cranky children in a restaurant will not make mommy and other diners happy! The washer and dryer was my favorite appliance a load a night meant no laundry for me when we got home. There were other things to do in this timeshare place. They had indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, basketball court and activities scheduled for the children in the afternoon. None of these though were we able to try as our time was spent on the sights to see. If you are traveling with children, I highly recommend this place. They had a 1 bedroom unit which they say fits 4 but this unit is a bit small. It will work with 1 child but too tight for 2 children and adults.

BUSCH GARDENS
The first place we had to visit was this theme park as they were only open on the weekend during the time we visited. We started out early 9:30. Armed with our plan of action on how best to make the most of our 1 day visit. We thought it was going to be another Disney world where you better know what to hit first or else forever wait in line! To our amazement, it was just as organized and clean as Disney but without the crowds before opening time. We walked leisurely towards the Alps as my husband vowed to ride each and every roller coaster in the place. This was also close to Germany where the children’s rides were. Each and every member of my family had fun here. The kids enjoyed the rides and the shows. My husband got his roller coaster fix for the year and I was very happy browsing the shops and seeing them all have fun. We had lunch at the Oktoberfest area. The sausages were delicious and they also offered pizza and pasta for kids. They had a show and there was audience participation. My daughter did the chicken dance with the other kids. Very memorable for her!

Spending 1 day in Busch Gardens and seeing most of the place can be exhausting with young children. Ideally I would have preferred 2 days. We had to split up sometimes so that each person could do what they wanted. So while the kids and I were watching the kids shows or doing their rides, my husband would disappear and go on his roller coaster quest then we meet up again. BTW, he said the best was the one in Italy. If you only had 1 day, it is important to get there early. You get your bearings and then plan your schedule to see the shows and do the rides that you like. After lunch, the park seemed more full and it would have been a totally different experience if we entered the park with that much people already in it.

To be coninued....
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM

To the top ~
Thank you for posting.
Detailed reports
such as yours are the best part
of this board. I have planned
numerous trips from posts such as
yours without having to ask a single
question.
Please continue ~
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reading Wanderlust! Please excuse this long trip report!

COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG
When we told people that we were going to Colonial Williamsburg we got different reactions from - it’s OK, 1 day is enough to you’ll have a great time . A visit to this area is really what you make it. There is a wealth of knowledge and enjoyment packed into this tiny area. Allow me to tell you how we enjoyed ours.

We arrived late in the afternoon of Saturday. After unpacking and resting a bit, we headed out to Colonial Williamsburg to get a feel of the place. We went to the visitors center and spoke to the lady at the information counter. She gave us the schedule for the week that we were visiting and highlighted for us the events that were happening. She explained the red and bus line services – more about that later - and all the different areas where we could eat while in the historic area. So we took a couple of brochures and headed out to find a place for dinner.

We decided to get the 2 day Governors Key Pass. This allowed you to get into the different buildings and do the tours of the Governors Palace, the Capitol and Bassett Hall. You could walk around the historic area without buying a ticket but to get the most out of this place, joining the tours and taking part in the different activities in the buildings makes a world of difference.

The first day. Having our quick orientation the day we arrived, we headed straight for the theatre to watch the movie The Patriot at the visitors center which helped a lot in explaining the feeling of that time and set the mood for your visit to the historic area. We took the red bus that takes you directly from the visitors center to the historic area. We first did the tour of the Governors Palace which is a must see. On the palace grounds, the children enjoyed the maze and the cellar. We then walked along Duke of Gloucester street which is the main street that has the taverns, the buildings which you can enter and where the people who are dressed in the period roam around. We went inside the printing and post office. Outside this building was a lady dressed in colonial attire sitting on a bench. My children found this place memorable as the lady played the dice game with them. We of course had to buy the game when we entered the store but well worth it as they still play it at home. We then headed toward The Capitol for the tour, another interesting place to visit. Afterwards, it was time for the reenactment on the Duke of Gloucester street.

From 2:30-5:00 they have a reenactment where history comes to life! This is a 2 day program. The first day told of the collapse of the Royal Government and the second day was the Citizens deciding to go to war. Both days started at the Capitol and then the actors and visitors would be walking down to Raleigh Tavern on Gloucester street and to other sites to hear the views and problems of all the different people – slaves, patriots, loyalists, business owners, mothers, daughters etc. This for me was truly enjoyable and educational. Even my 7 year old was so into it. The five year old though could not wait for it to end!! The end of each day was well worth the wait for the kids as it ended with a march complete with drums. Get your cameras ready!

Our second day had to be better planned as there were still places we wanted to see. If you wanted to watch the 2:30 event, there really was not a lot of time from 10 – 2:30 to enter buildings and have lunch. We were only able to enter 4 buildings which was a must do on our list. The first was the Wythe house. The second was the courthouse where they had a reenactment of an 18th century trial. Very entertaining! The visitors were part of the act. Both the kids enjoyed this. The Raleigh Tavern which explained what life at the Tavern was like during these times. We met and spoke with characters in the Tavern who would also come up at the 2:30 event. My daughter was especially thrilled as she remembered seeing them previously. If I had to do it over again, I think I would visit the Raleigh tavern on our first day. And last but not least the Gaol aka the Jailhouse. We could not leave the historic area without seeing the only must see building for our 5 year old son . We had lunch then it was time for our 2:30 showing!

Note about buses in the Historic area. The red line goes only from the visitors center to the Historic area. The Blue line goes from the visitors center and circles the historic area making stops in different places along the way. The blue line is great to take on your way to the historic area if you want to stop at a specific place as we did on our second day. We wanted to go to the end of Gloucester street near Merchants square and start our walk from there as we missed this part on our first day. It is also easy to get a seat on the blue line at any time of the day except at about 5PM. If you plan to ride the blue line on your way back to the visitors after the reenactment at 5PM and you need a seat i.e. families with young children, infants or handicapped, allow me to tell you what I noticed.. Unless you ride the blue line at the Capitol stop or maybe even at the Kings arms stop, you might have to wait for the next blue bus to come along to get a seat. I am speaking only of the 5PM time frame as this is when everybody is rushing to get back to visitors center. As I said at any other time there was no problem.

last installment Jamestown and restaurant report...
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM

Great report! As many times as I've visited CW (and it IS many), I'm still enjoying this visit through your eyes.

"A visit to this area is really what you make it." - you couldn't word that any better.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Great trip report! I'm eager to read more.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

JAMESTOWN SETTLEMENT
There are two places in Jamestown. The Jamestown settlement museum which is a living history museum and the Jamestown Historic area which we were not able to visit but I think is the original settlement area. It is in the Historic area where you can find the glass blowing and other activities. Unfortunately we did not have time to go there. These 2 places are very near each other and a 1 full day visit should be able to cover both .

We started our introduction to the settlement museum with a movie Jamestown: The beginning. Again a must see to understand what lies ahead for your visit. We then joined a tour and the first stop was the Powahatan Indian village. Here you learned about how their homes were built, the roles of the men and women, what tools they used, how they turned animal skins to something soft that they used for clothing etc. It really was very fascinating. The idea of the natives being “savages” is a total misconception as they were in fact a very intelligent and resourceful group of people!

The next stop was the James Fort. Here you saw how the first settlers lived and what conditions they had to endure to live and secure their safety. Inside the fort were different houses used for lodging, some buildings where they stored their weapons, a church, a storehouse etc. We had a wonderful guide here who was very knowledgeable but alas too much info for my 7 year old! After the first 30 minutes, she was pulling at my sleeve wanting to go into the different structures. So off we went while we left my husband immersed in history and my son in a stroller playing his Nintendo DS – yes it did not exist in 17th century but it allowed us to absorb as much info as we can and saved the others from constantly hearing “can we go now?”! On our own tour of the structures, my daughter had a lot of fun! She lay down on the mattress, tried on the heavy armor, inspected the weapons, saw a canon being shot, spoke to the ladies about how laundry was done, sat on the oversized pews etc! Not all was in vain though as we eavesdropped on some of the field trip groups and got a brief synopsis of what each structure was all about!

We then headed out of the fort toward the boats but with one more fun stop where they showed how the canoes were made. It’s ingenious how the natives built their canoes and the kids had fun digging in with the shells. There is a bucket there to wash your hands but I think this is one place where your handy wipes will be brought to good use.

Last and final stop of the tour were the ships! Lots of fun! Out of the stroller back to the 17th century! There were 3 ships: Godspeed, Discovery and the biggest of which was the Susan Constant. The tour guide explained the trip from England to the new world. None of which I heard as the kids just wanted to get on the ships! My kids explored the Susan Constant!! Two little mice going through every nook and cranny of that boat and asking way too many questions IMO. It may seem big to them but imagining the number of adult men crammed into that ship, it must have been a very uncomfortable voyage indeed!

It was time for lunch. They have a restaurant in the settlement but when we got there, it was packed with children from different field trip groups so we decided to just eat somewhere else. Inside the restaurant they had a separate room which had a movie screen where I think you can also eat. Good idea for parents with young kids to keep them entertained!

MERCHANTS SQUARE
Merchants square is the reason why we were unable to go to Historic Jamestowne. This was the only place and dinner at Blue Talon which was a must do in mommy’s list! So we save the other places for our next visit.

Merchants square is an area of shops and restaurants! This was my first time here and I started to recognize all the restaurant names I’ve read while doing my research in Fodors! But we only had one last meal and there were far too many restaurants to eat in! Maybe next time…It’s a very pretty place to sit, relax, have a meal or just watch people go by while you have a drink! The shops were great. We enjoyed going in and out discovering new things. We finished buying all our souvenirs! The peanut shop was fun! You could taste the different varieties they had. I only wished I bought more of their chocolate covered and wasabi peanuts. They are really delicious!

WILLIAMSBURG RESTAURANTS
1. Jeffersons
We had our first meal at a restaurant that was not in the Fodors list! We were tired and hungry and headed up to Richmond Avenue which we were told was a street lined with places to eat. My husband wanted to have a Southern dinner. So we stopped at Jeffersons as it said Southern food on its sign! We had a pretty good meal. Their tomato bisque was yummy. I should have ordered a bowl! The fried chicken and Virginia ham with warm apples was great as well. And they had a kids menu which turned out well for all of us!

2. Chownings
Not pronounced at all the way it is spelled! We ended up having both our lunches at Colonial Williamsburg here. We had the turkey leg, pulled pork BBQ sandwich, turkey sandwich, and the beans. All were delicious. The kids enjoyed their burgers and my son ordered a ham and cheese sandwich once which was way too much for him! The chips at this place was very crunchy! YUM!

3. Shields
We wanted to have one of lunches here. The sandwiches in the menu were very interesting but too sophisticated for my children’s palette so we just ended up buying cookies and frozen lemonade which were great at 3PM after being under the sun for a while.

4. King’s Arms
Thank you all for your recommendation of this colonial restaurant. It was perfect for our family. Good atmosphere and not stiff at all! I ordered as suggested peanut soup and game pye. Excellent choices if not too much food! After the yummy bread and the condiments, I was half full by the time I got to the soup. But I enjoyed both dishes very much. The table beside us had the lamb and that looked good as well! The menu at Kings arms leaves everybody happy as the selections are well chosen to suit different taste buds. Even the kids were happy!

The service at the restaurant was great. We did not feel rushed at all and we had a 7:30 seating! We also enjoyed the entertainment. They performed so as to entertain the whole crowd including the children and this we appreciate very much as parents with young kids!

If you are going to have dinner at the Taverns, it is best to park at the tavern parking lots on Francis street. It’s easy access and more convenient than having to wait for the bus to take you back to visitors center.

5.Blue Talon
This place is everything everybody says it is! We had our best meal in Williamsburg here. The hostess was very considerate in giving us a table for 6 when we were only 4 to make room for my son who was asleep in the stroller. This was a harbinger of things to come. The service was great. They brought out the children’s meals as we had our appetizers and it kept them busy all the way until we finished our entrée. I had the Duck confit salad which was excellent as I love blue cheese and the sautéed calf’s liver. Sauteed calf’s liver is one of my favorite dishes but it has to be done perfectly or it can be very chewy I hesitate to order this unless it is a reputable restaurant and they hit it right on the nail at this place! The flavors and texture of this dish was excellent! I was happy! I wanted to try dessert but the kids had their eyes set on Baskin and Robbins right next door! What a shame! A memorable meal nevertheless.

And here ends our first Williamsburg experience. Just a footnote though. I am a naturalized US citizen who learned American history as a course in university. This Williamsburg visit made me fully understand and appreciate the American people’s continuous fight to protect their rights and freedom as individuals and as a country. Reading about the American revolution in the history books is so different from “experiencing” it. Hearing the words, hurts, worries, suffering and pain that all the early Americans from slaves to patriots went through just brings more meaning to the freedom that we enjoy today. It was not easy and what we have today was built from other peoples sacrifice. What I take from this trip is to instill in my children to not take their freedoms for granted as blood was shed many years ago so that they could have the life they now live and for them as they grow older to also protect this freedom for the next generations of Americans to come.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

Wow! Colonial Williamsburg should put your trip report on their web site. Glad you had a great time. I have the Kings Arms peanut soup recipe if you want it.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Wow Martinan! I am heading there with 192 8th graders this week. I hope they take away a tenth of what you did from your visit. It wil be a fast and hectic trip but I know what you mean about the place. We did it as a family vacation a few years back and thought it was great (not just for history teachers) but as a wonderful place for anyone to get a sense of the early years of our country.

Excellent report!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks Martinan, great trip report. I've visited Williamsburg often, it's a regular stop for us on our way down south, but have never stayed long enough to see Jamestown.

If you buy the pass to Jamestown, does that include the ships as well?

I also wanted to mention a great shop in Merchants Square, it's a market/deli/cheese shop/wine shop with a nice restaurant next door. I regret that I can't remember the name, but the prepared food, deli meats (the best salami outside of Italy) and cheese were outstanding, better than what you can usually find in Manhattan and that's saying something.

If you like good food, don't miss this stop when visiting Williamsburg.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM

The deli in Merchant's Square is The Cheese Shop with Fat Canary Restaurant next door. A ticket to the Jamestown Settlement will allow you to see the ships. A National Parks pass to Jamestown National Park will not.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks Birdie, that's right, the Cheese Shop!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Birdie! I found a few recipes in the foodtv website. Will try them and if they don't work out will page you in fodors! hahaha!

Eeva, I feel for you 192 8th graders! Wow that's a tall order! It's a great experience you're giving these children.The 2:30 reenactment really did it for me. So don't get the kids too tired or they will shut off! hahaha! We always had lunch right before this so my kids survived! WE plan on going back again maybe in 2-3 years when our son is a little older so he can appreciate it and I'm sure my daughter will be more into it as well. I can't wait as there is still so much to see i.e. College, the hospital building, Bassett hall etc.But thanks to you teachers, my daughter and I learned quite a few things away from the guide!

Nina, as Birdie mentioned, there are 2 places in Jamestown. The Jamestown Settlement is where the 3 ships are and the pass includes entrance to these ships. You need a different ticket to Jamestown Historic area. I don't know what they have there as we were not able to go. All I know is that they have the glass blowing there which I missed.