Reload this Page >

Back from Hawaii! (Monica) Part I

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Monica

Aloha! Tony and I returned from Hawaii yesterday and is it cold here! Have nice tans that we can't even show off! Just a shore note as I will update my web site soon about our trip (http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html).

We flew standby all the way on our trip, which I hate to do but love the prices. Flew US Airways to LA where we spent 3 nights with one of Tony's VMI buddies. Jack showed us around Hollywood and took us out to a very nice Italian restaurant around the corner from Rodeo Drive (could only afford to window shop). Flights were really tight on the 17th so we took one on the 16th to Honolulu. We spent 5 nights on Oahu (first night at his sister's home in Kailua, and the remaining nights at the Hale Koa - great place!!).

Some things we did while on Oahu: drove up to the north shore and back around via the Pali lookout; swam/snorkled at Hanauma bay (where they now charge to get in and you are required to watch a 7 minute film on the safety of the fish, coral, etc. there). They got rid of the concession stand at the beach and one has to go to the top to smoke (that part I don't mind). Drove by Hawaii Kai and saw my old high school. That area sure has grown! We also visited Pearl Harbor and went to the Arizona memorial, toured the submarine Bowfin and the SS Missouri, all very interesting and moving.

We shopped at the flea market at the stadium and got some great prices. Many items were up to 1/2 price than in Waikiki and the International market place. Shopped for gold bracelets with my sister-in-law Doris as she found a store (downtown area) with excellent prices. One bracelet that I bought (just over $400) I saw from $849 at the exchange at the Hale Koa up to $1,100.00 in Waikiki. I'll be shopping again soon! Bought a ring for $95 and the exchange had the same one for $159. Great prices!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:15 AM
Moncia

Message: Part II: We headed to Kauai for 5 nights and stayed a the Kiahuna Plantation. Lovely grounds and good location. Beautiful beach within a 5 minute walk from our condo (bldg 17). Loved our place and felt quite at home. Yes, we heard the roosters late at night (or should I say early in the a.m.) but they didn't bother us. Lynda, the condo owner, had one of those noise machine that had the sound of rain, which drowned out the cars passing by and the roosters.

Loved Kauai!!! So beautiful and lush. So quite compared to Honolulu. What a difference! We drove to the north side one day stopping at 2 water falls, the guava farm, the lighthouse, and Ke'e beach. Started to hike a little but too rocky and too long for us as we wanted to head back and hit the beach.

We took a helicopter tour with Inter Island, the only company to stop (weather permitting) at a remote waterfall along with a deli lunch and time to swim at the waterfall. Excellent company! The helicopters site 4 passengers and the pilot. I sat in the front middle seat and had great views, but couldn't take any photos, so Tony did that for me and got a few good shots.

Took a drive up to Waimea canyon. More of an overcast day up there, so the canyon's were quite as spectacular as the postcards I had seen; but still a wonderful sight and drive.

We enjoyed both the beaches at Kiahuna and Poipu park. I even took photos of a monk seal sleeping in a corner of the beach. There was a rope about 100 feet around her so no one could get close to her. From what I understand there are only 13-30 monk seals remaining on Kauai.

We toured the Kauai musuem, which was very interesting. There's a short 12-15 minute film on Kauai, which I recommend people see early on in their trip. Gives good footage of the island.

Back on Oahu for the next 4 nights, we spent our time on the beach, toured Queen Emma's summer home, visited the Japanese temple, shopped a little more, visited Chinatown, and just relaxed. We dined at some great restaurants, which I'll post on my web site.

That's it for now! We had a great time and since it was a lot more relaxing than my European trips, it certainly felt longer than 15 days! Always glad to be home, but not enjoying this cold weather! Please check my website soon for photos and my journal. Monica

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:53 AM
Gina

Thanks again. I askedyou a few question on the Eurpean frum regarding your visit to Pearl Harbour if you don't mind to answer them here or there.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:57 AM
Monica

Part II: We headed to Kauai for 5 nights and stayed a the Kiahuna Plantation. Lovely grounds and good location. Beautiful beach within a 5 minute walk from our condo (bldg 17). Loved our place and felt quite at home. Yes, we heard the roosters late at night (or should I say early in the a.m.) but they didn't bother us. Lynda, the condo owner, had one of those noise machine that had the sound of rain, which drowned out the cars passing by and the roosters.

Loved Kauai!!! So beautiful and lush. So quite compared to Honolulu. What a difference! We drove to the north side one day stopping at 2 water falls, the guava farm, the lighthouse, and Ke'e beach. Started to hike a little but too rocky and too long for us as we wanted to head back and hit the beach.

We took a helicopter tour with Inter Island, the only company to stop (weather permitting) at a remote waterfall along with a deli lunch and time to swim at the waterfall. Excellent company! The helicopters site 4 passengers and the pilot. I sat in the front middle seat and had great views, but couldn't take any photos, so Tony did that for me and got a few good shots.

Took a drive up to Waimea canyon. More of an overcast day up there, so the canyon's were quite as spectacular as the postcards I had seen; but still a wonderful sight and drive.

We enjoyed both the beaches at Kiahuna and Poipu park. I even took photos of a monk seal sleeping in a corner of the beach. There was a rope about 100 feet around her so no one could get close to her. From what I understand there are only 13-30 monk seals remaining on Kauai.

We toured the Kauai musuem, which was very interesting. There's a short 12-15 minute film on Kauai, which I recommend people see early on in their trip. Gives good footage of the island.

Back on Oahu for the next 4 nights, we spent our time on the beach, toured Queen Emma's summer home, visited the Japanese temple, shopped a little more, visited Chinatown, and just relaxed. We dined at some great restaurants, which I'll post on my web site.

That's it for now! We had a great time and since it was a lot more relaxing than my European trips, it certainly felt longer than 15 days! Always glad to be home, but not enjoying this cold weather! Please check my website soon for photos and my journal. Monica

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:59 AM
Monica

Someone suggested I copy/paste part 2 here. Should have thought of that myself!

Gina, I just responded to your question on the European forum.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
Monica

Here you go Gina

We got to the Arizona memorial at 8:30am. Our tour was supposed to be at 9:15am but the Navy closed the memorial for about 30 minutes so our time got pushed to 10:15am. If you plan to go and want more time on at the memorial, don't return on the same boat. Just wait for the next one.

As for the Bowfin and Missouri, we paid a total of $32. We did get a military discount of $4-5.

I did take photos, which I'll post. ABSOLUTELY NO HANDBAGS or other bags of anykind are allowed at the memorial!!! They have really tightened security. I had to put my wallet and extra roll of film in my pocket and carry my camera.

Tony's sister lent us their jeep, so we had free transportation. You can take the local bus and would suggest an hour ?? to get there. If you go on a Sat, Sun, or Wed, you can also add the stadium flea market to the trip. It's probably a 10 minute walk to the stadium, where you can take the local bus back to your hotel. Or you can do a round trip van ride for $10 each with Super Shuttle (or around that price with probably most other shuttle services). They'll drop you off at the memorial and pick you up at the stadium.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:35 AM
Sarah

Sounds Great Monica so you did not hit too much rain on Kauai?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:36 AM
Al

Hey Mon!
Did you really go to Hawaii?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mary

Aloha Monica. Thanks for a nice trip report. Do you have the name of the shop where you bought your gold bracelets? I am assuming that this is Hawaiian Heritage Jewelry?! I would love to find a competitive price as I'd like to get a bracelet for each of my daughters. Thanks much.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
d

Monica- Thanks so much for the trip report. I leave for Hawaii in 3 weeks and can't wait!! Anyway, I am interested in using Inter-Island Helicopter in Kauai and am glad to hear it was an enjoyable part of your trip. If you have any other comments to share on the helicopter tour/ride I would appreciate it! Thanks again!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:16 PM
kal

Aloooohaaa and Happy Friday to all Fodor Friends.

Monica, Thanks for the TR!!!!!
It's getting our juices flowing for our return to Kauai in 58 days.

While we have been big Jack Harter fans for a heli-tour, we are now leaning towards Int-Isl since it's getting good reports from reliable sources. Especially since we get a waterfall stop!

Any interesting new restaurants? Or did you dine "ala condo"?

Mary, If you're looking for HHJ on Kauai, Mrs Kal has received good deals from 2 places, but both names escape me right now.
One is a camera shop on Rice St and the other is right nearby on Kress between this camera shop and Hamamura's Saimin Stand.
Good selection, prices and quite reputable in their dealings with us.
can't wait but I guess I have to!
Kal

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:02 PM
scigirl

Thank you for the trip report - glad to hear that you had such a nice trip.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:08 PM
Monica

Hi Sarah, No rain on Kauai at except for a few sprinkles at one point. It was great!

Mary, the jewelry shop is called Karen’s Jewelry, located at City Square, 1286 Kalani Street #108. 808-843-1636. Tell her I sent you and mention Doris Sullivan too (my sister in law). Yes, it’s the heritage jewelry. Again, very good prices.

D, the only other comment I can add about the helicopter tour, is try to sit on the right side, for the best views. However, the heavier people sit on the right side for balance. With all the photos that Tony took for me, only a few came out good. I’m the photographer in the family, so I was disappointed that I couldn’t take the photos. This particular company flies without the windows – all open! It’s great; and only 4 passengers. Bring a light jacket as it may be cool. I sat in the middle and was comfortable in shorts and shirt. Have fun!! Oh, and for the waterfall part, bring a towel! The water is very cool, but nice. I just dipped my feet in but 2 others swam. Inter Island is pricer than the other companies, but you do get the waterfall landing and time there and a deli lunch (hugh sandwich!).

Kal, we used the Ultimate Kauai guidebook for our restaurant choices – all good: Keoki’s, Beach House (both excellent), Hamura’s Saimin Stand (cheap, tasty soup at a local place in Lihue). Also enjoyed the thai food at Pataya’s (sp) but was very disappointed they ran out of the spring rolls (did have them at Keo’s in Waikiki).

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM
Melissa

Monica, don't forget to post the GTG photo!!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:27 PM
kalena

Looking forward to seeing the photo too. Glad you and Tony had a relaxing and great time, esp. after our envigorating conversation. ;-) Aloha, Tony!

We are blessed, Hawaii is not only beautiful, but it does run on its own time. Funny you remarked on precisely that.

Laters,
Kalena

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:07 PM
Melissa

Kalena, I enjoyed the conversation, too, but as an observer! ;-) That was the BEST I had heard from both sides in years.....and that is counting even what we're seeing on TV!!! And Monica, you can tell Tony that, too. That's why this country is the greatest....so many stimulating conversations to be had between people near and far.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:19 AM
Monica

Hey Gang, here's the photo from our get together (go to the bottom of the page).

http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com...tescorner.html

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:23 AM
kal

Mon and our other Hawaii Fodor Friends,
You guys are killin' us !!! :^D

We can smell the mai tais!

55 mo' days until our "Cunardly Vacation" to Kauai.

Thx for the big grins on this yucky Monday morning.
The Kals

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Monica

Kalena, Have a great time on Kauai and have a Mai Tai for us! By the way, got a good Mai Tai recipe???

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Melissa

If Kalena doesn't, I have a spot:
www.webtender.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -